Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
What's the best hi-Temp bearing lube? >

What's the best hi-Temp bearing lube?

What's the best hi-Temp bearing lube?

Old 07-30-2010, 01:04 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)
Default What's the best hi-Temp bearing lube?

Ok...I am an off-road guy, but I figured I'd come here cuz these on-road cars get hot and take a beating!!!!

What are you guys using or what is your routine for keeping your bearings not failing, and running ultra smooth in your drive trains?

I typically use contact cleaner, then lube it with Marvel Mystery Oil. I think this attracts a lot of dirt. So I was going to switch over to Tri-Flow which is what all the Lance Armstrong cyclists use.

What are your tips? What are YOU using? Thanks.
Old 07-30-2010, 02:27 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by markhat250
Ok...I am an off-road guy, but I figured I'd come here cuz these on-road cars get hot and take a beating!!!!

What are you guys using or what is your routine for keeping your bearings not failing, and running ultra smooth in your drive trains?

I typically use contact cleaner, then lube it with Marvel Mystery Oil. I think this attracts a lot of dirt. So I was going to switch over to Tri-Flow which is what all the Lance Armstrong cyclists use.

What are your tips? What are YOU using? Thanks.
I think that in off-road applications guys use grease instead of oil. In on-road
applications we use oil. I personally clean the bearings with an ultrasonic cleaner device,
and use serpent premium lube to lube them. Just 1-2 drops at each bearing.
Also serpent bearing lube is good, i just found that premium lube is a bit thicker
(you can find them now under Xceed brand). After 2-3 races i take them apart and clean them.
Are your bearings metal shield or rubber shield? we mostly use rubber shields in which is very easy
to remove the rubbers and clean them.

Some people do not like the procedure of cleaning bearings (i dont like also) and throw away bearings
that dont run smoothly. To do this you have to find bearings at an affortable price. I have heard that
abec35 are good bearing at a great price.

Last edited by gfilos; 07-30-2010 at 02:32 AM. Reason: info
Old 07-30-2010, 02:40 AM
Tech Regular

Keep your bearings clean is the surest for long life. As far as lube.... buy yourself a bottle of Mobil One..... and you have enough oil for life! Spending a lot of money on bearing oils really makes no sense. One trip around the track and the bearings collect dirt. One way bearings do require there own special oil, and clutches as well.
Old 07-30-2010, 03:23 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by RayJ
Keep your bearings clean is the surest for long life. As far as lube.... buy yourself a bottle of Mobil One..... and you have enough oil for life! Spending a lot of money on bearing oils really makes no sense. One trip around the track and the bearings collect dirt. One way bearings do require there own special oil, and clutches as well.
one bottle of special lube for rc bearings (such as serpent bearing lube) costs about the same with a bottle of
mobil one (or less) and lasts quite a lot (many years) if you consider that you
apply a drop on every bearing. So i dont see that cost is much.
Old 07-31-2010, 03:46 AM
Tech Master

I use a 80/20 mix of these oils....

Sin Bearing Oil

Militec-1

80% Sin, 20% Militec.

I like the Sin oil because it's a very light oil. The Militec-1 oil adds a little more viscosity.

After years of trying all kinds of bearing lube, I have noticed that bearings get grittier faster when using thicker oil or grease. My theory is that the thicker oil/grease doesn't allow the balls in the bearing to roll, especially is situations like sudden heavy acceleration. Rather, the balls are slipping/galling against the bearing races when under these high load situations.

Last edited by FREAKAH; 07-31-2010 at 04:07 AM.
Old 08-09-2010, 10:51 AM
Tech Champion

tamiya ceramic grease, nuff said.
Old 08-21-2010, 09:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 73 (97%+)

After you clean them, Boca makes a great bearing soak. Soak them overnight and your good to go.
Old 08-22-2010, 06:45 AM
Tech Addict

Believe it or not I have used a lube specifically made for guns. Guns heat up considerably and have vicious metal to metal wear and contact. Lubes are typically thin and very resistant to burn off etc. I've used a product called Weapon Shield before. It bonds to metal parts and protects against wear, corrosion, it is also a good cleaner, very slick lube, and doesn't attract dirt like grease.

If you prefer a grease the company makes a product called Lithi-Shield that is made specifically for bearing applications. It has the same properties as the oil products but is available in a tube. Grease tends to attract dirt and particulates more than an oil, but will last longer in my experience.

http://www.steelshieldtech.com
Old 08-23-2010, 08:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

removed