R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 08-18-2010, 02:29 PM   #1
Tech Addict

Default Maintenance on one way bearing on first spur gear

Is any maintenance needed normally on the one way bearing on the first spur gear? I know you should keep a thrust bearing greased up every run, but this bearing has no grease and it wasn't noted anywhere that I should grease it. Should I take it off the collar/shaft and clean it up once in a while? Reason I ask is because this part failed (yes all bearings can and will fail eventually) and I was wondering if it was lack of maintenance that caused the failure.

Thanks
Dredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 02:43 PM   #2
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Get yourself some good quality one-way oil clean the one_way bearing few drops off oil and your done hope that helps

BRCCC
elche_83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 02:49 PM   #3
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dredd View Post
Is any maintenance needed normally on the one way bearing on the first spur gear? I know you should keep a thrust bearing greased up every run, but this bearing has no grease and it wasn't noted anywhere that I should grease it. Should I take it off the collar/shaft and clean it up once in a while? Reason I ask is because this part failed (yes all bearings can and will fail eventually) and I was wondering if it was lack of maintenance that caused the failure.

Thanks
Try only one drop, then put it in spin it. Take it out wipe of the shaft, then put it back on and you're good. If you have to much your 2 speed wont engage because it will be slipping. I would do it at the start of the day, then again before the main. But make sure there isn't too much.
Old 08-18-2010, 02:53 PM   #4
Tech Master

one-way clutch work just as much as the thrust bearing. Clutch aways working under acceleration it locks up, Decel its freewheels. Racers lube them b4 finals heats. Go though them after practice, Prelim heats, and final heats. It doesn't take much to lube, just remove the whole gear assemble from shaft, clean and lube with one-way lube or gease.
Geezatec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 02:58 PM   #5
Tech Adept

Quote:

Thanks
maybe it was lack of maintenance, maybe the bearing wasnt good, hard to know. However, some maintenance is needed once in a while. I do take it apart before every race weekend, clean it, apply one drop of oneway lube. I havent had any one-way bearing failure the last 3 years.Actually, i am using the same bearing the last 2 years.. Btw, check the 2sp shaft/collar for wear at the point where bearing engages.

I am using serpent one-way lube.
Old 08-18-2010, 02:59 PM   #6
Tech Addict

So it does need a bit of oil...I see. Ok so before every run each day I'll go ahead and add this to my list of needed maintenance prior to taking the car out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfilos View Post
maybe it was lack of maintenance, maybe the bearing wasnt good, hard to know. However, some maintenance is needed once in a while. I do take it apart before every race weekend, clean it, apply one drop of oneway lube. I havent had any one-way bearing failure the last 3 years.Actually, i am using the same bearing the last 2 years.. Btw, check the 2sp shaft/collar for wear at the point where bearing engages.

I am using serpent one-way lube.
Yeah I replaced the collar as well because it looked worn as well. I'll remember to lube it some. Now the stupid question. Is there a difference between one way lube and something like Mobil 1 synthetic oil, marvel mystery oil, or 3-in-1? I know people substitute some oils like after-run for these products with no issues.
Old 08-18-2010, 03:00 PM   #7
Tech Adept

Quote:
So it does need a bit of oil...I see. Ok so before every run each day I'll go ahead and add this to my list of needed maintenance prior to taking the car out.
dont apply too much oil, one drop will do the trick. If you apply more, ow bearing will slip!!

i am not sure if another lube will do the same work, if i were you i would buy a specific ow lube. After all isnt expensive and you ll have it for life.
Old 08-18-2010, 03:21 PM   #8
Tech Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Roelof

When you want to replace the 1st gear adapter it is wise to replace the shaft as well. Starting with both brandnew does give the longest life.
Old 08-18-2010, 03:31 PM   #9
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roelof View Post
When you want to replace the 1st gear adapter it is wise to replace the shaft as well. Starting with both brandnew does give the longest life.
+1
Old 08-18-2010, 03:37 PM   #10
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Quote:

Yeah I replaced the collar as well because it looked worn as well. I'll remember to lube it some. Now the stupid question. Is there a difference between one way lube and something like Mobil 1 synthetic oil, marvel mystery oil, or 3-in-1? I know people substitute some oils like after-run for these products with no issues.
Yes, there is a different in One Way lube and general lube. One way lube allows the cam-like rollers to grab where as a regular lube will make the one-way slip.

The results of using wrong lube on oneway make the gear changing sound like the clutch is slipping. This also happens sometime if the pitman dumps fuel over the gears.
blis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 10:57 PM   #11
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

you can also use a oil from castrol called dextron 3 or any other automatic gearbox fluid as it shares the same properties as 1way lube, it needs to lubricate as well as grip (same as an auto gearbox)

Mitch
==== Pro Buggy Rc, Pitsworth - for all my RC needs =====
NiTrO BoOsTeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 04:23 PM   #12
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Xray makes a one-way bearing lube. Part # 309580
PDX-Spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 09:31 PM   #13
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Amazingly I have had the same 3 kyosho one-ways for years and have never touched them and they are dry as a bone. Other cars seem to need near weekly maintenance or they will slip and I have seen guys with Kyosho's go bad too.. I think there is only one maybe two bearing suppliers that make oneways for our size anyway so they are probably all the same.

You want to use a oneway specific lube from what I remember from back in my electric days, Serpent (Xceed formula now I think) used to be the only thing available but I would trust Xceed and Xray equally, whichever you can get.

https://ActivRC.com http://TeamPowersUSA.net https://www.1upracing.com/ http://TeamAssociated.com
Brian Bosley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 02:24 PM   #14
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Bosley View Post
Amazingly I have had the same 3 kyosho one-ways for years and have never touched them and they are dry as a bone. Other cars seem to need near weekly maintenance or they will slip and I have seen guys with Kyosho's go bad too.. I think there is only one maybe two bearing suppliers that make oneways for our size anyway so they are probably all the same.

You want to use a oneway specific lube from what I remember from back in my electric days, Serpent (Xceed formula now I think) used to be the only thing available but I would trust Xceed and Xray equally, whichever you can get.
My one way is inside a Kyosho Lightweight First gear housing on a V-One RRR WC (pre evo). It was probably 2 years old when I got the car and went bad about a year after I started running it. I bought the car used, but everything was mint condition (minus some minor scratches on the chassis etc). I guess it's just one point of wear and tear on the cars. I never lubed it, no idea if the previous owner did either. I did notice in the Kyosho manual it doesn't mention anything about lubing the bearing prior to instillation. It comes dry so I had no idea if it needed lube at all. I figured I should ask before I get it all running again just in case. Better safe than sorry.

I'll be picking up a bottle of lube today if the local shop has any.