R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 08-14-2010, 02:36 PM   #1
Tech Addict

Default Not your typical fuel question

I've been out of the world of R/C Nitro for a long time. I have a Kyosho V1-RRR WC (pre evo) with a JP Mod Mugen X-12 engine and Novarossi tuned pipe. Anyway I'm in the process of getting this car back up and running.

I had been using 20% nitro with a cold Novarossi plug, but am moving to a medium plug as recommended to me by the local shop. Hardly anyone around my area is into racing or knows much about it. The guy at the local place used to run a RRR so he knows a lot about it and I can get some great info from him.

Down to the meat of the question. I have not kept up on technology of nitro fuels and all that. Is there or has there been any advancements that I should be aware of in terms of lubrication tech etc? Any particular reason to look hard at one fuel over another? I can get Maxy's, Byron's, O'Donnel's locally in 20% very easily. I'm gonna stick with 20% since it's what I used previously. I had run both Maxy's and Byron's with good results before, but I notice now that Byron's has some Gen 2 stuff out. I have browsed the old threads about fuel and understand that there will be a recommendation for just about everything available at one point or another. I simply am wondering if fuels have had any advancements in the past couple of years that I am unaware of.

Second question, how long does Nitro fuel last? I have some Maxy's fuel left over (maybe 1/8 gallon or so) from like 2 years ago. Is there a way to know if it's still good or should I trash it?

Thanks in advance!
Dredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 04:04 PM   #2
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Fuel really hasn't changed any except the new Byrons has less castor in it so if you want your motor to last, add an ounce of castor to it. I would not recommend using two year old fuel. Maxy is excellent.
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 04:12 PM   #3
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingracer View Post
Fuel really hasn't changed any except the new Byrons has less castor in it so if you want your motor to last, add an ounce of castor to it. I would not recommend using two year old fuel. Maxy is excellent.
Hrm...that's an extra step I would not like to take if I don't have to as I might forget. I'm like that sometimes. I had good luck with Maxy's fuel before as I remember so I'll stick with it until I have an issue that is fuel related.

Thanks much
Old 08-14-2010, 06:10 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Scott Fisher

Of those three fuels, Byrons Gen2 is what I would run. It is always the same batch to batch and is quite good.

The 20% blend has 12% oil.... you don't have to add anything. All I am saying is I disagree with the other post, not trying to start a poo flinging contest.

I am sponsored by a different company and stand to gain nothing but I do have experience with all the fuels.
Old 08-15-2010, 11:11 AM   #5
Tech Addict

I'm not going to get into this debate. If the Byron's has 12% oil that's good info for me and that's all I was looking for. Nothing more.

Thanks for the response.