R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 08-12-2010, 01:33 AM   #1
Tech Adept

Default centax clutch problems with kyosho evovla m3 help

hi there i have an evolva m3 and having clutch problems the clutch seems to have a bit too much play for some reason it says (.3 on clutch tool) and when engine is on for the wheels to move needs to be on at least a quart throttle.I dont know if this is the clutch thats gone or is it my shiming thats out i would like to know if anyone can help that would be great.I need advise on what would be best e.g if i need bearings what size and shims ect and where i can buy these parts from.

thanks
kyoshoevolvam3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 03:52 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyoshoevolvam3 View Post
hi there i have an evolva m3 and having clutch problems the clutch seems to have a bit too much play for some reason it says (.3 on clutch tool) and when engine is on for the wheels to move needs to be on at least a quart throttle.I dont know if this is the clutch thats gone or is it my shiming thats out i would like to know if anyone can help that would be great.I need advise on what would be best e.g if i need bearings what size and shims ect and where i can buy these parts from.

thanks
if you have 0.3 gap, then its more than likely your clutch spring tension. too much. try backing it off. and slowly raising the revvs isnt a good indication, be quick on the throttle, if it takes off then , keep trying what you have.
Serpent 811-TE REDs R5T
Pattojnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 04:11 AM   #3
Tech Adept

I've tried backing of the spring but the clutch bell is still loose and too much play still I think I need shims to be honest.Is there any way I can put a shim before the bearing inside the clutch bell.

Thanks
Old 08-12-2010, 05:00 AM   #4
Tech Adept

Quote:
I've tried backing of the spring but the clutch bell is still loose and too much play still I think I need shims to be honest.Is there any way I can put a shim before the bearing inside the clutch bell.

Thanks

the bell being loose has nothing to do with slipping. however, after adjusting gap
(you said 0.3 on the clutch tool right?) you have to put shims before bearings (right after the spring collar)
just to eliminate clutch bell play. Dont make too tight, bell must have a small play just 0.1-0.2mm.

btw, there are threads in the forum for setting up a centax clutch and videos on youtube. just do a search.

good luck
Old 08-12-2010, 05:56 AM   #5
Tech Adept

Yh I've got 2 bearings for clutch bell one for the front one for the inside of clutch bell. But would I need a big bearing at the back and a spacer followed by the origonal bearing in car. bell I've watched the youtube vids there's one on centax clutchs how to set up but that's for a serpent 1/8 would that work on my kyosho evolva m3

Thanks
Old 08-12-2010, 06:25 AM   #6
Tech Adept

Quote:
Yh I've got 2 bearings for clutch bell one for the front one for the inside of clutch bell. But would I need a big bearing at the back and a spacer followed by the origonal bearing in car. bell I've watched the youtube vids there's one on centax clutchs how to set up but that's for a serpent 1/8 would that work on my kyosho evolva m3

Thanks
yes it will work. All centax clutches are about the same. Use the default by manual settings
for spring preload and gap and the technics shown on video for how measuring them. Do it carefully
and you ll not have any problems.
Old 08-12-2010, 06:35 AM   #7
Tech Adept

I watched the videos on youtube as well and I have a Motonica and they helped me a lot - the basics are still the same.

I don't know the kyosho, but does your clutch shoes have holes in them (additional ones to the ones where you flywheel pins go in) - what you can try is to add some weight to your clutch shoes - I turned some small grub screws into the holes to make the clutch shoes heavier.
FaanP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 06:46 AM   #8
Tech Adept

My one has 4 holes where the shoe sits what size bearings do u put in ur clutch should I put 1 more bearing inside clutch bell plus bearing spacer .is my clutch the same concept as urs I just would like to know what is the right thing to do for my clutch .

Thanks
Old 08-12-2010, 08:31 AM   #9
Tech Adept

Quote:
My one has 4 holes where the shoe sits what size bearings do u put in ur clutch should I put 1 more bearing inside clutch bell plus bearing spacer .is my clutch the same concept as urs I just would like to know what is the right thing to do for my clutch .

Thanks
do it like the manual says!
Old 08-12-2010, 09:39 AM   #10
Tech Elite

Default right or wrong......

This is how I do it with the Kyosho 3D clutch..

Hi Erock, I just want to ask a few Q's regarding clutch set up.

1. You mentioned from your previous PM that you set it to .04, do you mean 0.4mm?

2. How do you actually set the end play? Do you remove the inner clutch bell bearing first and set/shims for the end play?

3. Do you shim the inner bearing so it wont touch the clutch shoe? I usually do this and end result of the end play that I set earlier is usually less and some time no play at all.

4. Do you replace the stock 5x10x4 clutch bearings to a ceramic one? when I had my Evolva 2003 last time, the bearings did not last that long, only for a few meetings only.

4. If you dont mind explaining to me step by step of your method of setting up a clutch.

Thank you very much and FYI I m still waiting for my Orion spring.

1. Yes. .4mm
2. I will combine 2,3,and 4 in the same answer.
3. I use ceramic clutch bell bearings and replace them often. If they get discolored or gritty I replace them.

Now, I will go over how "I" build a clutch. If you ask 10 people you will have 9 of them tell you to set the clutch gap different than how I do it. But all I can say is that it works for me.

Ok, install clutch shoe and spring. Set spring to 1.30mm. Next shim the bell with the inner bearing in it so that it doesn't rub on the clutch shoe. Then I set the clutch gap to .4mm. That's how I do it.

Everyone else will set the end gap first, then shim the inside so the bell wont rub on the shoe, and then whatever the gap is that you end up with is the gap you end up with. You might have .4mm or maybe even less.

I use the digital clutch gauge from brooklyn hobbies to set the clutch spring. I also use the Kyosho gray shoe.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-12-2010, 10:38 AM   #11
Tech Adept

Thankyou for the feedback the trouble is the way my clutch is at the moment the clutch bell had the thrust bearing so now its loose but I'm waiting for shims at the miniute in my evolva manual it says

Clutchbell and 2 shims holding the thrust bearing followed by 2 shims then a smaller shim on the end and thrust bearing holder.

Thanks
Old 08-13-2010, 09:30 AM   #12
Tech Master

Quote:

thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattojnr View Post
if you have 0.3 gap, then its more than likely your clutch spring tension. too much. try backing it off. and slowly raising the revvs isnt a good indication, be quick on the throttle, if it takes off then , keep trying what you have.
If backing off on clutch adjustments clutch shoes, doesn't help. Maintenance on Centax should be done. Clutch shoes you have to deglaze the shoes + friction points on flywheel. Freeplay or endplay of .3 is good. Centax clutch call for .5-1mmend play. My opinion .3 is good. It'll engage a nano sec early. Freeplay does not tell you when clutch is engaged. The Spring and collar is the adjustments on timing of edgagements of clutch.

Use a little Scotch Brite or Steel wool to deglaze the parts. You can tell where it wears. Then clean them off with alchohol. re assemble. Be sure you lube the thrust bearing!

Good luck!!

Last edited by Geezatec; 08-13-2010 at 09:54 AM.
Geezatec is offline   Reply With Quote