Wiki Posts
Search

Capricorn Clutches

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 10:16 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Capricorn Clutches

Anybody know how good is the Capricorn clutches and where to buy in the states?
Old 08-03-2009, 01:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by YLLIB
Anybody know how good is the Capricorn clutches and where to buy in the states?
Capricorn was distributed by Murnan but I believe he got out of the business so I am not sure who is carrying their gear but as you can tell by the euro prices it really stops Americans from buying them through anybody.

Your next bet is IDM, they are the same clutch part for part and have an active distributor in the USA. Check out http://www.teamxspower.com and use the contact us area to ask him about the clutch. The one I am using came with a green shoe like the Serio and a yellow shoe that feels like it would slip more but I haven't tested it yet.

I just started using the IDM this weekend while breaking in an engine, the 30mm flywheel is quite small compared to the 33mm Serio that I have been using but I didn't get a chance to weigh overall mass. I was able to get the same punch from the IDM that the Serio provides (in fact the springs look identical, size and number of coils) and I haven't really tested the flyweight set screws much yet.
Old 08-03-2009, 02:04 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

They are very good, if you have the traction, like Speedworld

The Sirio Power clutch is almost the same.

Hopefully Scott Fisher will chime in
Old 08-03-2009, 03:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JayL
They are very good, if you have the traction, like Speedworld

The Sirio Power clutch is almost the same.

Hopefully Scott Fisher will chime in
I'm not sure if you are being sarcastic or not, but I will tell you the same thing I told Brian. I have used the sirio clutch, but not the Capricorn clutch. It is a good clutch, but I can get everything I need out of the Kyosho 2d clutch when I use 4 flyweights and the parts etc are much easier and less expensive for me, so I normally use the Kyosho clutch. The only thing I would like to improve upon with my Kyosho clutch is a more smooth engagement. Other than that, the Kyosho clutch is perfect for me.

FYI: I was using the bluish clutch disc that comes with the sirio clutch as well as the sirio spring.

Last edited by Scott Fisher; 08-03-2009 at 03:21 PM.
Old 08-03-2009, 03:37 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

No sarcasm knew you used the sirio and are IDM
Old 08-03-2009, 06:23 PM
Tech Adept

the best clutch system I have run, both of my max per have it ! quick rev's better aceleration!!! gren soe slips as the original clutch of mugen oem centax,the yellow hae moore grip almost perfect but the red one ha! I have a sign that reads use nly onemergency case ha! the best grip andlast longer.
over all experience with capricorn clutches two thumbs up!!!!!
Old 08-04-2009, 12:47 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by JRGTR
the best clutch system I have run, both of my max per have it ! quick rev's better aceleration!!! gren soe slips as the original clutch of mugen oem centax,the yellow hae moore grip almost perfect but the red one ha! I have a sign that reads use nly onemergency case ha! the best grip andlast longer.
over all experience with capricorn clutches two thumbs up!!!!!
I really will have to try out the yellow shoe then, the green shoe was the most similar in feel against the bell (by hand) to the Serio so I assumed it was a good place to start. The yellow shoe almost feels like a teflon type of surface against the bell which seems like it would have a slight slip but it's hard to say without the pressure of the weights behind it.
Old 08-04-2009, 05:04 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Brian Bosley
I really will have to try out the yellow shoe then, the green shoe was the most similar in feel against the bell (by hand) to the Serio so I assumed it was a good place to start. The yellow shoe almost feels like a teflon type of surface against the bell which seems like it would have a slight slip but it's hard to say without the pressure of the weights behind it.
I am using the capricorn system since 6 months ago on a MR Ninja,IDM Picco Evo3 and now with Max Power engines. My feedback based on the testings with the 3 shoes is basic:
green or blue = moore like OEM shoe od MTX-4R is moore slippery,the clutch surface burns a little and is not so agressive when apply(aceleration)
yellow = balance option, good grip , moore agressive when acelerating, the surface is like you say bell give the impression of slight slip and yes is like the mugen yellow teflon shoe but beleive me with a good clutch setting is the killer option great grip.
red = uffff!!! last longer that the other shoes , and most agressive grip and too agressive with an optimun setting of the clutch.
for example I run the ninja with the red shoe, the picco with the green/blue and the max power with the yellow. hope this info base on my test and experience with the product help you comrade!!!
Old 08-07-2009, 04:09 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Guy's
we sell capricorn products,
have a look

www.ozspechobbies.com/capricorn.html

regards Aaron
Old 10-11-2009, 08:15 PM
Tech Master

To bring this one up again, I am running slim on the amount of gap I can remove and the yellow shoe doesn't seem to fully engage or I am just not used to it compared to the blue/green. Are you guys using the setscrews in the flyweights to or just the straight weight itself?
Old 10-12-2009, 05:08 AM
Tech Adept

I have used the capricorn clutches. It is similar to the sirio clutch minus the fact that its not as aggresive. I preffered the sirio clutch. Wat car are you going to be running it on.
Old 10-12-2009, 05:53 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by RCAKid
I have used the capricorn clutches. It is similar to the sirio clutch minus the fact that its not as aggresive. I preffered the sirio clutch. Wat car are you going to be running it on.
rrr, maybe going from the sirio to this clutch is why I feel it doesn't have the hit that people think the yellow shoe does. The instructions clearly say to use the setscrews in the weights but others who haven't used the clutch said to skip them. maybe with the smaller flywheel it needs the weight to hold against the bell?
Old 10-12-2009, 05:53 AM
Tech Adept

To bring this one up again, I am running slim on the amount of gap I can remove and the yellow shoe doesn't seem to fully engage or I am just not used to it compared to the blue/green. Are you guys using the setscrews in the flyweights to or just the straight weight itself?
tommy and i used the flyweights in the cap clutch.
you have to make sure that everything , the slide shoe and backing plate fall of freeley from the flywheel.this is very important.
machine work is not very good small drill bit will fix the problim
big tom
Old 10-12-2009, 05:55 AM
Tech Adept

Capricorn was distributed by Murnan but I believe he got out of the business so I am not sure who is carrying their gear but as you can tell by the euro prices it really stops Americans from buying them through anybody.

Your next bet is IDM, they are the same clutch part for part and have an active distributor in the USA. Check out http://www.teamxspower.com and use the contact us area to ask him about the clutch. The one I am using came with a green shoe like the Serio and a yellow shoe that feels like it would slip more but I haven't tested it yet.

I just started using the IDM this weekend while breaking in an engine, the 30mm flywheel is quite small compared to the 33mm Serio that I have been using but I didn't get a chance to weigh overall mass. I was able to get the same punch from the IDM that the Serio provides (in fact the springs look identical, size and number of coils) and I haven't really tested the flyweight set screws much yet.
brian how do you get the flywheel to touch wheel on starter box .I know that the serio or cap clutch is close to not touching
Old 10-12-2009, 01:24 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

rrr, maybe going from the sirio to this clutch is why I feel it doesn't have the hit that people think the yellow shoe does. The instructions clearly say to use the setscrews in the weights but others who haven't used the clutch said to skip them. maybe with the smaller flywheel it needs the weight to hold against the bell?
Hi brian use the set screws in the clutch weights this will make the clutch more aggressive
As the clutch will engage harder

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.