R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 08-10-2010, 10:33 AM   #16
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I think it is fine. Just change your strategy, driving style and engine setup.

If a newbie cant make 5 minutes that least of their problems and most likely have way more engine then they need. Motor down and bet pull faster laps for newbie/budget racer. Most racers go faster if they dont drive wfo off every corner.

Kinda part of the fun of nitro.

Electric was more fun when you could actually dump in 1/12 and touring sedan.

People grossely underestimate how much fuel you can save by just changing your application of throttle. You can save 20 secs easy by just driving different.

Jamie
J.Gonzalez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 10:58 AM   #17
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Send a message via MSN to Pooh2

Quote:
Originally Posted by senna555 View Post
I think it is fine. Just change your strategy, driving style and engine setup.

If a newbie cant make 5 minutes that least of their problems and most likely have way more engine then they need. Motor down and bet pull faster laps for newbie/budget racer. Most racers go faster if they dont drive wfo off every corner.

Kinda part of the fun of nitro.

Electric was more fun when you could actually dump in 1/12 and touring sedan.

People grossely underestimate how much fuel you can save by just changing your application of throttle. You can save 20 secs easy by just driving different.

Jamie
I agree 100%!!!! I like the challenge of making time and trying to go fast. That's racing! People just want things to east these days.

"Since the Bible and the church are obviously mistaken in telling us where we came from, how can we trust them to tell us where we are going"?
Pooh2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 02:32 PM   #18
Tech Elite

I totally agree on that point Pooh people want things handed to them. Just run ur tank size and have a good pit man to keep track of what ur car is doing!
Old 08-10-2010, 03:57 PM   #19
Tech Regular

Send a message via MSN to PMSorber

Nice example, the 2009 worlds at Lostallo... Collari won due to a different driving style, why full throttle if you can do the same laptimes with lifting. He managed 5 minutes, Pietch had to come in after 3,5!
PMSorber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 05:32 PM   #20
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Haha I like the trying to make it easy remark. I thought I would get some responses but the attacks are quite cute.

I just seen rules that were in place when .12's produced 1 horse power. Now we make alot more.

I also like the 5 extra cc weight arguement. 4 grams and it will only be in your tank for 15 seconds is not an handling issue. They can make the tanks where the extra 15cc are in the lowest part of the tank.

I just see a issue and a dieing class and thought I had a easy solution for it helping the class but guess not.

Got to love all the attitude though. Thought there would be a good discussion but felt like it was a lipo brushless thread. Hahahaha.
Old 08-10-2010, 05:52 PM   #21
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Speedypeterb
Default run time

I think that not making 5 minutes has nothing to do with people not racing, for those who do race know that fuel milage is key, clutch setting, gearing and throttle control are all the important stuff and it's definatly strategy tanks are the right size oh lets shorten the bases in baseball, ofcourse not some things just work.
Old 08-10-2010, 05:58 PM   #22
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Nobody is attacking you, we just disagree with you.

If you think about it, its like the speed limit, if they raise it to 75 because everybody already drives at 75, then everyone will just drive at 85, its that simple. If you make the tank bigger, motor manufacturers and moders will just make a faster motor that wont last 5 minutes either. We have to learn how to tune a motor(I should take my own advise), and drive smoother and you will make 5.

Most of us cant drive fast enough to have a sub 5 minute motor to justify a stop in 5 minutes. People like Morganti, Salven, Burch, Swuager, Pietsch, can do a stop in a 5 minutes qual and still drive 3-4 more laps than the rest of us. Their skills justify the pit stop with the faster motor.

You didnt say anything about the example given about Collari, thats a very valid point.
nitrodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 06:04 PM   #23
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingracer View Post
235mm went to an 80 or 85cc tank just before they died.

If it's such an issue for local races, why not go to 4 minute qualifiers? Or go to 8 minutes so everyone has to stop?
Another consideration is where you have the scoring loop located on your track. If drivers have to run 1/2-3/4 of the track to trip the loop for their first lap a lot of fuel used on that trip.
www.motorists.org
P2gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 06:08 PM   #24
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by senna555 View Post

Jamie
Absolutely true!! Took me many years to figure out that half and three quarters throttle can be more effective than full pin on many sections of a track.
www.motorists.org
P2gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 10:19 PM   #25
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Maxey View Post
When is Roar and Ifmar going to up the cc of fuel tanks in on-road cars?

This has been a issue for a while at our local club. Our motors are struggling to get 5 minutes. This is not a tune issue for most. We have some top level drivers at our track.

It's very frustrating to have Pro's and intermediate and even novice guys having these issues. Why not a 90cc tank on 1/10th TC. That's 1 minute of run time more(well maybe).

I seen many guys run short at the Worlds with this issue.

Just up late and was wondering.........Why no one has came out with a bigger tank for us.
A little late on this topic, but if you want to run 5 minutes without a pit stop go run electric, nitro is more scale and therefore you need to learn how to drive the lines and work with the car to make 5 minutes. Maybe it is track size, but even if that is the issue just make a quick splash and go

Just my 2 cents
Old 08-11-2010, 02:53 AM   #26
Tech Rookie

in most of europe they run 7 min qualifying witch i think is perfect as qualifying is about speed and how fast you can go, were as the finals are about being steady and consistant where pitstops are a major part as was said in a prev post with collari!!!

just my 2 cents as there are pros and cons for everything!
big-l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 10:48 AM   #27
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Dasmopar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Maxey View Post
Haha I like the trying to make it easy remark. I thought I would get some responses but the attacks are quite cute.

I just seen rules that were in place when .12's produced 1 horse power. Now we make alot more.

I also like the 5 extra cc weight arguement. 4 grams and it will only be in your tank for 15 seconds is not an handling issue. They can make the tanks where the extra 15cc are in the lowest part of the tank.

I just see a issue and a dieing class and thought I had a easy solution for it helping the class but guess not.

Got to love all the attitude though. Thought there would be a good discussion but felt like it was a lipo brushless thread. Hahahaha.
I was not attacking you. I just stated my thoughts on the subject. Simmer down. Also that extra 4 grams is in the car till the end of the tank Not just the first 15 sec. In my case would finish with 5 extra cc of fuel in the tank. Thats "4 grams" I carried around for 5 minutes I didn't need to.
Chicky fan club member #11
Dasmopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 04:02 PM   #28
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasmopar View Post
I was not attacking you. I just stated my thoughts on the subject. Simmer down. Also that extra 4 grams is in the car till the end of the tank Not just the first 15 sec. In my case would finish with 5 extra cc of fuel in the tank. Thats "4 grams" I carried around for 5 minutes I didn't need to.
If that 5 grams gets you to the end of the heat, whatever tiny amount it might have slowed you down is much less than what you would lose making a stop or running out.
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 06:05 PM   #29
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)

Get a Hybrid
2017 U.S.World Nitro Cup Nov 29th - Dec 3rd
U.S.Open Fuel Championship Returning soon
GMartinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 07:35 PM   #30
Tech Master

I dont understand the question. ROAR Rules are 75cc for .12 engines & 125cc for .21!! It's fuel!! Heat or prelims are 15-20minutes in time. Finals can be 40-1hr time. Average of a tankful is 8-10 minutes. Dont see why you all looking at 8 minute heats. 8 minute heat is more of electrics.

Someone enlighten me with the bigger fuel tank!! ROAR goes by Total Laps, time & fastest lap time!! Who needs a bigger tank with ON-Road!!!!??
Geezatec is offline   Reply With Quote