R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 06-05-2004, 02:04 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Send a message via AIM to nitrotec
Default Trinity g4 evo or Mugen MTX-3?!?

which of these kit is better? im aiming at the g4 cause its cheaper than the mtx but still not sure. whats the spec differences between them? anyone have these cars and can give me info..im lookin for a all out race car, right now im driving a ntc3 and wanting to upgrade
nitrotec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 03:46 PM   #2
Tech Regular

that is a tricky question to answer, and at the end of the day mtx3 drivers and g4 drivers are going to say there car is the better of the two.
i have personnally run both cars and also ntc3, the mtx3 is a very strong and reliable car, not as popular in the uk as some of the other brands,but i think this is more down to the uk importer not really pushing the car, i sold mine on a wim, fancying a change i bought a ntc3, which i really regret.
i am currently running a team magic g4, and have to say i am impessed with the car, seems so easy to drive, and have beaten all my fastest times at every track i have visited.

this sort of question comes up all the time on one of the uk forums, and the answer we give is - check out the availability of spares at your local model shop or where ever you buy your spares, coz all you need is the fastest car on the track, break something in qualifing, not have the spares and have to miss your final. look also at what people are running at your local track, can be helpfull for set-ups ect.

at the end of the day you spend your money and take a chance
www.DHmodelsport.co.uk
jas1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 04:54 PM   #3
Tech Regular

I own the g4 and am very impressed, so my vote would be to get the g4, although the mugen is great also. The g4 is not as popular in the US, but overseas its doing really well in races. Get a g4, you wont be sorry
bballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 07:57 PM   #4
Tech Regular

Default g4 or mugen

hey i liked the g4 some much i bought 2! really i had bought one and ran out of time to build, came across a newly built g4 that needed to be finished, and bought as well. so i have a new g4 still sealed. i too was up in the air about the mtx and the g4 myself. i live in nj and did not see to much support for mugens. trinity which was the usa distributer for the g4 is right up in north jersey, so i went with the g4, to find out later that trinity is not the "exclusive" distributer anymore. ugh!!!!!!!!!! so at this point i will run the g4 and see what happens!!
owens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 08:00 PM   #5
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to mckrooz

rc_alan has both. He can give you some unbiased opinion on the cars. Waiting for him to chime in.
Old 06-06-2004, 09:03 AM   #6
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)
Default Choices

There are many reasons to choose a car. First, cost. The G4 Evo is quite cheaper than the MT3 prospec. Second, parts supply. Who has parts on site where you race. In the east G4 parts are more readily available, but here in the states, they have taken a hiatus until recent. Brooklyn Hobbies, out of Brooklyn NY has become the major distributor for the EVO. So if your shop wants parts, or you want parts call there, Then there is the last point of what are you comfortable with.. Both cars are excellent at what they do ,and that is RACE. I have owned almost every current nitro tourer, and I can honeslty say, that I would not drive anything else but my G4 EVO. It suits my style the best, and that is what counts.. I have driven other Mugens that were hooked up on the track, and could make it run for squat, and vise versa. So I hope you get my point. Both cars are a great choice, and either one will be a race ready car. Good luck and use the force.. I say G4!
Team and Sales Manager for USRC Imports, home of Sworkz! Looking for drivers for 2017-2018, KingMax Servos www.kingmaxhobby.com Gens Ace www.gensace.com, MIP www.miponline.com,Schelle , WWW. Schelleracing.com, Slavich Designs, GARCIA GRAPHIX

CHECK OUT GARCIA GRAPHIX ON FACEBOOK -LOOKING FOR 2017 TEAM DRIVER'S!
Raul Garcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 11:42 AM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

if u r new to this rc thing...don't get the G4...cos some parts need a bit more attention...and the radio deck n the steering servo horn is very ...very ...very......a big headache...... but if you don't mind n hve some help from G4 owners then it wuld b easier... else the mtx3 is more user friendly....
vones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 11:47 AM   #8
Tech Fanatic

Thanks MCKrooz for my intro... NiroTec... I've owned the G4 since Oct. 2003... One of the first guys anywhere with the car. I also own a Mugen MTX3 that is setup to be more then Prospec level... First off, since we are talking about the 2 cars, I'll give you the plan truth. Oh, my G4 has just about every k-Factory hop-up there is from top to bottom... The G4 is super easy to work on, it's super durable and is very easy to drive..easy... and get dialed in. The G4 has one flaw major and one small flaw... First the major... What makes the car super easy to drive is it's major design flaw... The steering rail setup, binds over time due to metal to metal contact. Many will say they don't have any problems with it... Those that haven't had the car as long as me and some of the other posters in the G4 Forum... Trinity drop the car due to this a few other things... I got this from the CEO of Trinity while at the RCX in April 04... Team Magic the Manufacture of the G4 has acknowledge that there is a problem and are redesigning the steering setup to something like the Mugen's right this min. Should be out sometime late Summer, early Fall... I had to share this with you. Posters all over the world have reported the same thing with the car... Steering rail/servo saver binding... Thankfully, TM is working on a fix... The second problem is locating parts in your Area.. but you can always order online.. I do... The Mugen MTX3 is also a very good car and out the box is almost right on... No car is perfect out the box, but the Mugen is close... You'll have to bullet proof some area's of the car, like going with front Universals, Front MRX3's outdrives, MRX3's front belt... These are a few things that should be changed, but are minor... You have control over these things.. With the G4, you have no control over a design flaw.. Except to have a bunch of extra steering servo saver's handy... I'm not knocking the G4 although it might seem that way.... I still have mine and many people ask me which car do I like the most... Robbie Collins, Factory Team Driver from Mugen ask me the same question... both cars have pro's and con's... But the Mugen is engineered right and if you can step up to the MTX3 Prospec... You'll want for nothing. The G4 is solid as well and if you can wait til the fix comes out... You'll have a super car as well... Finding Mugen parts is also a plus and just about every RC track has a handful of Mugen owners there that can help you... With the G4, you might be the only one with one there... For a novice, that might be a problem... Not saying you are... but you really can't share knowledge with other's except here in the forums... I guess what I'm trying to say is if you want no head aches and a proven race car, go the Mugen MTX3 now and if you can wait til after summer... Not... Go with the G4 EVO... I could go on, but that's the just of it and I'm out the door to the track... Good luck and I'll check back... If you have any more questions... PM.

RC_Alan

Last edited by rc_alan; 06-07-2004 at 08:04 PM.
rc_alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 11:49 AM   #9
Tech Fanatic

Hey MCKrooz.. I see you're online... I'm heading out to Crytal park right now... Should be there at 11:30am Sunday morning... Hope to see you there..

RC_Alan
Old 06-06-2004, 11:54 AM   #10
Tech Addict

I went all day yesterday and used all my gas. Don't really feel like driving to Ultimate to get some. I might stop by later and see if someone would like to sell a quart or something. They'll be testing the system again with transponders. We missed you yesterday. Had another pick up race. Grabbed a 2nd place trophy
Old 06-06-2004, 12:02 PM   #11
Tech Fanatic

Had to go to a wedding yesterday... Heading out to Jamba Juice first then to the track... I'm going to try out the 16/19 pulley conversion I got this week... If you need some fuel... I can spare you a quart...

RC_Alan
Old 06-06-2004, 12:03 PM   #12
Tech Addict

Awesome. Maybe I'll see ya out there. The conversion works great. You won't notice a difference. Except for the money you'll save in tires.
Old 06-06-2004, 12:07 PM   #13
Tech Fanatic

Old 06-06-2004, 12:10 PM   #14
Tech Regular

yeah nitrotec, listen to rc_alan, he knows what hes doing and is a great help. We can give you opinions, but you gotta make the decision, just go with your instinct
bballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 01:46 PM   #15
Tech Rookie

Send a message via AIM to nitrotec

i heard a lot of problems of the steering rack on the g4 that kind of bumbed me out. but i guess team magic is workin on that. the mugen prospec is out of my price range being at 500 bucks compare to 300 for the g4 evo. i checked my lhs and said they carry a lot of mugen parts and recommended me to get the mtx cause of the parts availablity of the g4. so still thinking...haha.....reason i wanted the g4 cause no one races it up in my area(i live in oregon) there mainly mtxs, vonerr, tc3s and reflexes. i want somthing different...thanks for the info rc_alan
nitrotec is offline   Reply With Quote