R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 06-01-2004, 10:51 AM   #1
Tech Adept

Default teach me!!! (NTC3)

Hello,
I want to get a NTC3. Right now i have an electric truck but the nearest track is 1 hour away. But there is a street track for within walking ditance.(no i dont know why i didnt get a car in the first place)

So can you teach me about a gas NTC3. i know about the gas
%`s. But how long does a tank last, What tools do i need. What engin do i start with? ( fast is ok i can drive pretty good.) my truck had a brushless and ive driven my frinds gas HPI.
So any advice would help. Thank U.
Richy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 12:29 PM   #2
Tech Regular

I hope more experienced people answer this but I will. I was in the same position you were and someone helped me out a great deal. I am forever greatful to that person, this hobby is truly amazing.

First off if you are going to race please buy the Factory Team edition. It will save you money becuse it comes with hopups that you will end up uying anyways.

As far as the tank lasting....this depends on your engine of choice. It was recommended to me to go with OS to start off with. The carburation is more stable and it will be much easier to tune than an Italian motor. I went with the 12 TR Turbo. Please follow break in procedures and be patient with it.

I also suggest a venom temp monitor if you do not have a temp gun. It is quite inexpensive and the readings will be consistent. Just take a reading on the plug with a GOOD temp gun to get the difference.

As for tools..how deep are your pockets? You will need good servos, a radio, starter box, fuel, spares, etc... Make sure you get some pivot balls. You will bend them. The AE allen set is a good start also. Glow plug wrench and Glow plug starter, receiver pack battery and charger. I think this should get you started. You will need tires though so add that.

John
jrabbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 04:44 PM   #3
Tech Apprentice

jrabbito has it about right richy ... best thing to do to learn a bunch about this particular chassis is to read the whole "rc10ntc3" thread on this forum .... it has gobs of good info and set up tips ... I also run this chassis .... and thats where Igot a lot of the info on the chassis ... theres also a great bunch of folks that frequent that thread so questions get some good answers ... I am still figuring mine out so I dont know the best set ups and such yet ... but I am getting closer to a good baseline setup .... have a read of that other thread and then just enjoy it once you get it .... and pivot alls are a must for your pit box when you buy a ntc3 .... and dont be afraid to wait a little and get the best stuff rather than just getting stuff to work now .. and then have to buy again when you upgrade later .... spend the money now for a good steering servo and a good reliable throttle/brake servo ... also get a failsafe unit .. and USE A THROTTLE RETURN DEVICE ... if your servo link comes off or your rx batt dies ... nothing else will slow your car down .... I use two ... one to bring the brake link to almost full brake ... and anothe on the carb itself to bring it to idle .... thats the safest way to do it ...

have fun racing

E
roddude65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 05:31 PM   #4
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Send a message via AIM to corvettecrazy

the guys above covered it pretty well, I just have one comment, do NOT skimp on good parts up front for cheaper ones. If you do you will be spending more in the long run. Spend more for the good parts instead of buying cheaper ones and then the good ones later...

Cliff notes:

More up front is less in the long run.

run time is about the same for nitro and electric, but there are so many factors(engine, tank size, driving style, just to name a few) that no one can give a definate amount of time.
corvettecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 08:04 PM   #5
Tech Adept

can you buy bigger gas tanks for the NTC3??

I drive crazy if im not racing!
Not the crashing kind of crazy.
Old 06-01-2004, 08:13 PM   #6
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The NTC3 tank is large, as 1/10th touring goes. Easily does a 5 minute heat. You don't need to turn it off to fuel, so just come in every 5 minutes and give it a squirt. Make sure your motor is tuned for long running, and you're good to go.
ZipZap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 08:17 PM   #7
B
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by ZipZap
The NTC3 tank is large, as 1/10th touring goes. Easily does a 5 minute heat. You don't need to turn it off to fuel, so just come in every 5 minutes and give it a squirt. Make sure your motor is tuned for long running, and you're good to go.
I believe the tanks are the same standard size.
B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 09:00 PM   #8
Tech Adept

Richy;

just make sure you learn how to drive it and start out SLOW. The NTC3 seems to be a great VALUE. It's a good handling car but it's FRAGILE. When in doubt hit the breaks...you aren't going to drive away from a decent brush with the boards.......

Take your time, learn about setup! Setup is VERY crucial. I bought a setup board and all that fancy jazz and it makes a HUGE difference. No, I didn't spend a ton on it, none of it is HUDY. But if you get a good set up station and board, you can do a lot. If you don't have the right tools, you are just guessing on the setup.

You need a decent set of standard allens, again, go with someone other than HUDY. Losi makes a great set for about half the price. You will also need a nut driver for the wheels and one for the plug, I don't know off hand what size they are.

Again, you can go to Ace Hardware, Sears or anyone else that sells nut drivers.

Tires make a HUGE difference, in cost and in traction. Look up the company TwisterTires. They offer good tires at about half of what your hobby store will want.

Good luck, keep the motor on the rich side at first, get your skills and smoothness and the speed will come later....

I think the NTC3 Team can be mail ordered for as little as $230

Check RC Car Action for ads....
elmar66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 10:33 AM   #9
Tech Adept

im not worried about me driving im worried about the motor and how to work it!! as far as i know you put gas in and pull the cord and it works thats about all i know about gas cars right now.
But i have you guys so hopfully it wont be to bad.

Do i need one of those starter boxes for like $100 that starts your car for you or is that just if your lazy??

And what the Heck does a glow plug starter do???? is that just another way to start your car?

Dont worry i will have more questions later.
Old 06-02-2004, 11:29 AM   #10
Tech Regular

If you a racing DO NOT BUY A PULL START. Buy a rear exhaust engine ONLY. Like I said get the O.S. TR (P) -T .12.

From your emails it lends me to beleive that you are very young. This is not an issue if you realize what racing will encompass.

If you are racing starting the motor will be the easiest thing you will ever do. Setup and repairs is where you will waste the majority of your time. If you are not racing please let people here know because everything mentioned is a waste of time. Just buy a RTR kit.

Starter box : Spins the flywheel to help start the motor

Glow Plug Ingnitor: Helps begin combustion.

One needs the other.
Old 06-02-2004, 11:30 AM   #11
Tech Regular

Oh and worry about the driving.....Racing on a closed course is very different.

John
Old 06-02-2004, 11:33 AM   #12
Tech Regular

Default Budget?

Last but not least what is your budget? You have not mentioned this yet.

john
Old 06-03-2004, 10:34 AM   #13
Tech Adept

yes im going to try to race so i need a rear exhaust?
Why??

My pricew range is Around $200 - $300

So if i dont get a pull start what is there to get??

Im 14 and 15 on June 27th

encompass??? What does that mean??
Old 06-03-2004, 10:34 AM   #14
Tech Adept

price not pricew or whatever i put.
Old 06-03-2004, 10:48 AM   #15
Tech Adept

Hey John can you recomend some website that has that motor.
i probably wont buy it off that website. But just so i can see it.
And maby look for one on ebay.

I have been looking around and i think i got it. If i get a motor without a pull start i have to get the starter box and glow plug and start it that way.

Right???