R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 07-16-2010, 12:42 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default RB Junior 9 Pipe?

Just picked up my first nitro TC (NT1R) and engine (RB Junior 9). Only problem now, I have NOOOOO idea what the right manifold and pipe to bolt to it. I hope to race this at a club level only not looking for a rocket ship, just a good running motor with a usable power band and good fuel mileage.

Anyone out there experienced with this engine or someone willing to share their knowledge?
Old 07-16-2010, 01:41 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micro-E View Post
Just picked up my first nitro TC (NT1R) and engine (RB Junior 9). Only problem now, I have NOOOOO idea what the right manifold and pipe to bolt to it. I hope to race this at a club level only not looking for a rocket ship, just a good running motor with a usable power band and good fuel mileage.

Anyone out there experienced with this engine or someone willing to share their knowledge?
Check out RB's website. They have pipes made for their engines that you may be able to mate the right one to your mill.
The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one.
There are 2 things in life that are infinite: the universe and stupidity.
JLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 02:52 PM   #3
Tech Regular

Good point... I guess I could have looked that up before asking for help..

I see two options for pipes/mans:

RB Concept EFRA 2659 Inline On-Road Tuned Pipe w/Short Conical Manifold
[RBDE1751-198403]

and

RB Concept EFRA 2604 Inline Tuned Pipe w/ Manifold (Polished)
[RBDE1751-01K401K]

i am still would like to get an idea of the effect of pipes and manifolds on Nitro motors. Is one pipe combo give a really screaming high top end, and sacrafice bottom end? Is the other all bottom and smooth top end?

I will sit tight and hope someone who has this motor, or this pipes I listed above, will see this thread. I'll still poke around on the internet to see what I can find..
Old 07-16-2010, 03:28 PM   #4
Tech Regular

2659 is released this year I think... before that all RB engines were recommended with 2604 pipe. I have a RB R3 and 2604 pipe, performance is great. Bottom end is nice but it could have been better on topend. Runtime is awesome, more than 6min on one tank easy, like 6:30 or so.

Now Im using Novarossi 2652 with R3, motor screams! All the way from bottom to top, performance is significantly increased. When I put this pipe to my car, I thought that runtime would be poor, to be honest I was not sure if it could make 5 mins... It ran out of fuel in 6:17, so I was confused, because this pipe normally consumes lots of fuel, I remember coming in for fuel in 4 min mark with this pipe and Novarossi SCT.

As its your first nitro car, I would suggest you to start with a pipe which isnt so expensive, and since 2604 is older model now, you can maybe find it cheaper.

http://www.aytemizhobi.com
Turkish shop for: Serpent, Xceed, Sweep Racing, MyLaps
musti72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 07:42 AM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I say go with the 2652 if you want more performance. 2604, as Musti72 said, has less top-end power but if the straight is not very long you won't need the 2652.
Tires>>> I don't know yet
quietstorm76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 09:47 AM   #6
Tech Regular

Thanks for the pipe info!!!

Last question, manifolds (Header?)

They seem to come in short, medium, and long (at least the Nova ones I have seen). How, performance-wise, are they different? If I were to guess the shorter one shifts the power band upward, while the longer ones generate more bottom end power? Does the 2652/2604 work best with a particular one

Sound right??