R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-30-2004, 11:34 PM   #1
Tech Initiate
 
1BadTransam's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: On the lake in Tavares FL
Posts: 38
Send a message via AIM to 1BadTransam
Default RC car- True Turbocharger. PICS!

basics of the beast... the weight is about an ounce more than a tuned pipe setup, and it is a TRUE exhaust driven turbine. The prototype i made gave me at least 100% gain in power from stock. Hooked to a 12 CV on a TC3 nitro, in 100 feet, it pulls 20 feet on an 85+ mph 1/8th scale car. I would tell you how fast the TC3 is on top end, with a full size GPS in the car, lol, but the BS flags will instantly go up. The reason it isn't hooked to my 5 port motors yet is the os is cheap to replace rods and piston/sleeves. the motor will keep accelerating, making more and more boost, untill the con rod splits. But i have a wastegate in the works for that

So, how much demand do you guys think there would be for a turbocharger for our nitro touring cars? If there is Just a little bit of interest, i will be selling them before september...

Jim

Last edited by 1BadTransam; 05-31-2004 at 03:27 PM.
1BadTransam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2004, 12:13 AM   #2
Tech Addict
 
compaq888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Southern CA
Posts: 717
Send a message via AIM to compaq888
Default

pics please, and show us diagrams
compaq888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2004, 12:37 AM   #3
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 56
Default

yeah, pics. And a video. Everyone is used to rolling their eyes about this subject, it's time to see something that works! Show, show, show!
Mister_Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2004, 03:30 PM   #4
Tech Initiate
 
1BadTransam's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: On the lake in Tavares FL
Posts: 38
Send a message via AIM to 1BadTransam
Default

Here is a couple screen shots of the turbo... grade 6al-4v titanium Shaft, ceramic balls, and all 6061-t6 cases and impellers. I cant post actual pictures yet, its still in protype form, (read: rough machined) and i want to get the production version before i show the product.

Jim

*Screenshots removed 6-5-04

Last edited by 1BadTransam; 06-05-2004 at 11:32 AM.
1BadTransam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2004, 03:33 PM   #5
Tech Elite
 
Sow&Steady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Va Va Voom!
Posts: 4,104
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by 1BadTransam
Here is a couple screen shots of the turbo... grade 6al-4v titanium Shaft, ceramic balls, and all 6061-t6 cases and impellers. I cant post actual pictures yet, its still in protype form, (read: rough machined) and i want to get the production version before i show the product.

Jim
Jim, are you planning on doing this for .12 or .21 or both sized engines?

The system must be tiny!

I'm game! (Just saw that you DID try it on a .12)
__________________
http://3hobby.net REVISITED V2 - Its on steroids!
https://www.facebook.com/ssteady
Sow&Steady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2004, 03:45 PM   #6
Tech Initiate
 
1BadTransam's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: On the lake in Tavares FL
Posts: 38
Send a message via AIM to 1BadTransam
Default

The system will be for all .12 types, all .21 types, and you can even use it on the larger displacement big blocks. I am planning 3 impellers, 1 type for smaller .12s, another for .21-.35, and a more aggressive one for 7.5cc boats and such. The only requirement of the motor is it needs to have at least a low end needle valve, and a high end needle valve. 99.9% of all motors on the market have that...

the 7.5cc version has its own water cooled case, that i tested today. on a rear intake, front exhaust ROSSI that is rated to turn 40,000rpm. It totally shines, the motor must turn over 55,000 in the water, and the power is INSTANT, even with a prop that is meant for a 13cc. its sick guys, on the cars and the boats, if anyone seen this thing in person, they would be beating my door down to buy one.


ps, yea, its small. it takes delacate tooling and a good bit of time to machine the impellers. both of the impellers are less than 7/8" in diameter...
1BadTransam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2004, 03:55 PM   #7
Tech Elite
 
Sow&Steady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Va Va Voom!
Posts: 4,104
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by 1BadTransam
The system will be for all .12 types, all .21 types, and you can even use it on the larger displacement big blocks. I am planning 3 impellers, 1 type for smaller .12s, another for .21-.35, and a more aggressive one for 7.5cc boats and such. The only requirement of the motor is it needs to have at least a low end needle valve, and a high end needle valve. 99.9% of all motors on the market have that...

the 7.5cc version has its own water cooled case, that i tested today. on a rear intake, front exhaust ROSSI that is rated to turn 40,000rpm. It totally shines, the motor must turn over 55,000 in the water, and the power is INSTANT, even with a prop that is meant for a 13cc. its sick guys, on the cars and the boats, if anyone seen this thing in person, they would be beating my door down to buy one.


ps, yea, its small. it takes delacate tooling and a good bit of time to machine the impellers. both of the impellers are less than 7/8" in diameter...
Jim, all I can say is that I'm dead interested! Keep me in your "list"

I've also announced this project of yours on my website 3hobby.com, see if we can get more insterest. If you want to post a video I can help put it on the server there.

Cheers!
__________________
http://3hobby.net REVISITED V2 - Its on steroids!
https://www.facebook.com/ssteady
Sow&Steady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2004, 04:47 PM   #8
Tech Initiate
 
1BadTransam's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: On the lake in Tavares FL
Posts: 38
Send a message via AIM to 1BadTransam
Default

Cool, i took a look at your site. thats slick man. thanks for the Exposure. I am currently programming and modeling the changes to this in my home computer, and it is a very graphics intensive thing to try to run on a 1.4 ghz machine. In a couple of weeks i should have my alienware laptop, and that will make the project come along alot faster- no more of this change the impeller pitch, hit regenerate button, and walk away.

if you want, i can e-mail you some much better screen shots so you can put em up.

jim
1BadTransam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2004, 05:24 PM   #9
Tech Elite
 
Sow&Steady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Va Va Voom!
Posts: 4,104
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by 1BadTransam
Cool, i took a look at your site. thats slick man. thanks for the Exposure. I am currently programming and modeling the changes to this in my home computer, and it is a very graphics intensive thing to try to run on a 1.4 ghz machine. In a couple of weeks i should have my alienware laptop, and that will make the project come along alot faster- no more of this change the impeller pitch, hit regenerate button, and walk away.

if you want, i can e-mail you some much better screen shots so you can put em up.

jim
Better yet Jim, just register yourself at the site then check your email, login, click on Gallery, then click on "Create/Order My Albums".

On the next screen hit "New" button and then you'll see the space below this button saying "New Album". Highlight it and rename to your name .. voila! You'll get your own space to upload pictures at 3Hobby.com (1 MBytes of space!).

If you prefer email still .. let me know and I'll PM you.
__________________
http://3hobby.net REVISITED V2 - Its on steroids!
https://www.facebook.com/ssteady
Sow&Steady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 03:57 AM   #10
Tech Master
 
BrainTeased's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 1,342
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

sounds like a very time consuming project!!! everyone makes jokes about having a turbo charger in their car i've even made a joke on that a few months back but to see it actually come true thats amazing!
__________________
www.feralbatteries.com.au
BrainTeased is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 04:31 AM   #11
Tech Elite
 
Bishop's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 2,223
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

100% power gain?, so you have had it on a model car engine dyno then?
How much psi does it make?, at what rpm?, what loss is there in fuel consumption due to the inability to exhaust scavenge?, any problems with compressor stall or reverse impeller flow from the reverse charge/pulse effect of 2 stokes at low rpm?, does the two stroke oil gum up the system after a few short runs?

Fuel consumption on a force fed two stroke is always going to be horrible, as you remove any chance of scavenging any unused fuel from the exhaust when you pressurise the motor, 2 stroke engines are already the worst fuel burners around, the last thing you need is to make that any worse.

The realities of force feeding a two stroke are not good, many question if it can be done, but really it's not "can it be done?", it's "should it be done?", and the answer is usually no.

I suggest getting one of the new 4 stroke RC car engines to play with, cause that could genuinely be interesting.
Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 05:39 AM   #12
Tech Regular
 
KMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 250
Default

I say go ahead and post a pic of it installed in your TC3 no matter how rough it is. All RC enthusiasts will appreciate it's existance and installation no matter what it looks like.

Let's see it.
KMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 05:49 AM   #13
Tech Fanatic
 
PSI Racing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Fontana, CA
Posts: 881
Default

1BadTransam,
What CAD program are you using?
PSI Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 05:50 AM   #14
Tech Elite
 
Sow&Steady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Va Va Voom!
Posts: 4,104
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Bishop
100% power gain?, so you have had it on a model car engine dyno then?
How much psi does it make?, at what rpm?, what loss is there in fuel consumption due to the inability to exhaust scavenge?, any problems with compressor stall or reverse impeller flow from the reverse charge/pulse effect of 2 stokes at low rpm?, does the two stroke oil gum up the system after a few short runs?

Fuel consumption on a force fed two stroke is always going to be horrible, as you remove any chance of scavenging any unused fuel from the exhaust when you pressurise the motor, 2 stroke engines are already the worst fuel burners around, the last thing you need is to make that any worse.

The realities of force feeding a two stroke are not good, many question if it can be done, but really it's not "can it be done?", it's "should it be done?", and the answer is usually no.

I suggest getting one of the new 4 stroke RC car engines to play with, cause that could genuinely be interesting.
Bishop, you sound very knowledgeable on this topic. Some difficult question to answer there!
__________________
http://3hobby.net REVISITED V2 - Its on steroids!
https://www.facebook.com/ssteady
Sow&Steady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 07:03 AM   #15
Tech Elite
 
Bishop's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 2,223
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Sow&Steady
Bishop, you sound very knowledgeable on this topic. Some difficult question to answer there!
It's just two stroke basics really, if you understand how a two stroke engine works, you realise that any form of added forced induction can actually work against some of the working principles of the engine.

In some ways, many tuners consider two strokes to already have a form of natural forced induction, as it's own cylinder action force feeds fuel and air into the cylinder every down stroke or cycle anyway.

And the moment you try and force feed any 2 stroke, you negate one of the biggest modern day advances ever made on them, and that is the expansion chamber, or tuned pipe to us.
It saved the two stroke engine from an early grave, by allowing it to develop torque, and scavenge unburnt excess fuels, which was/is a very big deal, on what was and still is a very thirsty engine.

If your worked real hard and did it right, you may actually get a 100% power increase with forced induction, but probably at revs that would kill any RC Nitro engine within a few laps, and with a 300%+ increase in fuel consumption, with less overall torque to top it off.
Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TD05H Turbocharger HarKonnenD Other Items: For Sale/Trade or Wanted to Buy 23 09-22-2008 07:20 PM
RC turbocharger joe of loath Chat Lounge 13 10-18-2007 12:35 PM
to true or not to true tyres on club days ?? mrgsr Nitro On-Road 4 08-11-2005 06:11 AM
Turbocharger???? hpiracer007 Nitro On-Road 30 11-28-2004 04:59 PM
CE Turbocharger question R_Andersen Electric On-Road 5 05-10-2002 10:44 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 11:36 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net