R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 05-30-2004, 09:09 PM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via ICQ to TerraX Send a message via AIM to TerraX Send a message via Yahoo to TerraX
Lightbulb Track Design: Books, Articles, Forum?

I've been searching out different sources for information on track design features (different types of turns and such), equipment (barriers, RoadRails, timing systems, and surfaces), and designs themselves.

Any assistance on this would be appreciated!

It doesn't appear there are any threads on this subject, perhaps we can begin building a thread on track design and subjects related to running a track.

I know there is a software tool running around out there called TrackMaker that allows you to layout semi-crude illustrations of courses. Is there anything else out there?

Thanks,
Chris
TerraX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2004, 10:39 PM   #2
Tech Master

Default LINK TO MALAYSIAN RCers TEMPORARY TRACK building

ok... just to share this link...

maybe this one will help a bit.

R/C Tech Forum Home > International Forums > Malaysian R/C Racers > Temporary track

mop
mop_iko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 01:07 PM   #3
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via ICQ to TerraX Send a message via AIM to TerraX Send a message via Yahoo to TerraX
Post Race Management Software

I might be the only one here interested in this, but I am still going to attempt to create a clearing house of information on tracks and services at tracks.

I've been looking at race management software solutions the last couple of days, and it would seem there are some decent ones out there. But you can choose for yourselves.

I've provided links to several companies currently publishing timing and/or race management software. But I think it would be interesting if individuals with experiences on these different systems give their opinions.

JLap - http://www.jlapracemanager.com

Autoscore - http://www.west.net/~autoscor/

RC-Timing - http://www.rc-timing.com/

SPARC 2 - http://www.tracktiming.com/products/sparc.jsp

Thanks,
Chris
Old 06-01-2004, 04:06 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to trackdesigner71 Send a message via Yahoo to trackdesigner71

Hey I got your PM Terra and would be more than honored to offer whatever knowledge I may have about track designing to this thread
trackdesigner71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 06:38 PM   #5
Tech Apprentice

Default Track Design Tools

trackdesigner71, are you using any software tools to design your courses? Once again, I know that TrackMaster is out there, but have you used any other tools?

TrackMaster has some nice temple curves, but it seems to lack a lot of other features.

Chris
Old 06-02-2004, 04:35 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to trackdesigner71 Send a message via Yahoo to trackdesigner71
Default Re: Track Design Tools

Quote:
Originally posted by TerraX
trackdesigner71, are you using any software tools to design your courses? Once again, I know that TrackMaster is out there, but have you used any other tools?

TrackMaster has some nice temple curves, but it seems to lack a lot of other features.

Chris
I use a little program called TrackMaker. Im hoping to find a newer one that will allow me to make tracks that are more scale representations of real life courses (preferably something flat like the Indianapolis infield course). You can download TrackMaker here:

http://www.ghager.com/downloads/trackmaker20_beta.zip

Make sure to unzip the file first or it wont work
Old 06-02-2004, 06:21 PM   #7
Tech Apprentice

Default Re: Track Design Tools

Quote:
Originally posted by TerraX

Chris
Ooops! I said TrackMaster not TrackMaker which is the correct name.

I agree though; it would be nice to have a program that would allow you to add more detail to the track.

Chris
Old 06-02-2004, 08:41 PM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

to run our races we alycat software and love it. especially at only $200 for the full release. you can download a lite version that still runs transponders for free to try it. that's www.alycat.com
tallyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 11:12 AM   #9
Tech Apprentice

Default AlyCat

I wasn't even aware of AlyCat. I noticed on their website that several tracks in Australia were using it, is it an Australian company?

Whatever, it's one of the cheapest solutions out there.

Thanks for posting that one. I will try to get a demo to check out.
Cheers!
Chris
Old 06-03-2004, 11:28 PM   #10
Tech Regular

For timing/race management you can also use a program called slyfox, i'm not sure if it's one word or two though. I think you'll find slyfox has better fascilties for sanctioned events, like it works out christmas tree finals and all that. Having said that I do think the newer alycat's do that too. I'm also pretty sure that Slyfox is a little less stable.
Dexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 09:52 AM   #11
Tech Apprentice

Default SlyFox

Yet another program I was completely unaware of. I am surprised how much race management software is actually available.

As mentioned, here is a link to SlyFox:
http://www.genisys.net.au/quantum/Software/slyfox.html

Apparently you can download a full working version from their site.

Thanks for the tip Dexter!
Chris
Old 06-04-2004, 06:25 PM   #12
Tech Regular

Just on SlyFox, if you download a trial version of it i'm PRETTY sure that the transponder fascility is not available. Meaning the only way you can time is manually pressing the number for the corresponding car, which in short is inaccurate and a pain in the ass.
Dexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 01:23 PM   #13
Tech Elite

I know a lot of people use CAD programs to design their tracks because it allows for scale better than something like TrackMaker. I bet if somebody out there knows program code, they could make a version that allows for working in 3D so you can add elevation changes and things like that.
Old 06-05-2004, 03:13 PM   #14
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally posted by trackdesigner71
I know a lot of people use CAD programs to design their tracks because it allows for scale better than something like TrackMaker. I bet if somebody out there knows program code, they could make a version that allows for working in 3D so you can add elevation changes and things like that.
That really does make the most sense. AutoCAD and the like are very powerful tools. Unfortunately they also have a steep learning curve. It would sure be nice to have something that does the layout elements refined without the expense and knowledge required to use CAD software.
Old 06-05-2004, 03:18 PM   #15
Tech Addict

Send a message via MSN to Neil

Don't forget about Doug www.rcscoringpro.com Great timing software
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote