Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
Advice on new NT1 >

Advice on new NT1

Advice on new NT1

Old 02-22-2012, 02:48 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Advice on new NT1

Hello,

A am new to RC and decied to pick up a nitro touring car, I am interested in building and maintaining the car so I want a kit, not a RTR model. I have settled on the NT1 and was wondering if I could get some opinions on my set-up, the following is a list of components that I have selected, before I go ahead and buy them I wanted to get some feedback on my selections and perhaps something that would work better, keep in mind that I intend to use the car for occasional club racing on a track as well as street and parking lot use, so nothing too crazy:

chassis: Xray NT1 (2011)
engine: RB Concepts Touring Junior 11 .12 with 2668 tuned pipe
glow plugs: RB concept #6 medium turbo plug
radio: Spektrum DX3C
Steering servo: Savox SC-1257
Throttle servo: Savox SC-1257
1600mAh NiMh battery for car electronics
Hudy star box 1/10 starter box

I posted this over on the Xray forum as well and got some feedback from Roelof, but there seems to be a bit more activity here so I thought I'd give it another try here.

S

Last edited by Sparwood; 02-22-2012 at 03:07 PM.
Old 02-22-2012, 02:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 184 (99%+)

2012 NT1 is almost coming
Old 02-22-2012, 03:10 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by pinoy69racer
2012 NT1 is almost coming
I know, but if I could get a good deal on a 2011 I think I'd go for that, I'm really just getting started and I don't think that there would be any noticeable difference between the s2011 specs and 2012 specs to justifythe extra cost (assuming there is extra cost)
Old 02-22-2012, 03:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

That setup looks fine. Since you're new to RC, the 2012 won't make much of a difference. It's your setup and driving that have the most impact on well you do.

Keep in mind, that belt driven cars don't do so well on unswept streets and parking lots, because small rocks have a tendency of getting into the gears (belt and transmission gears) and chewing them up. Tub/shaft driven cars are more durable on streets and parking lots.
Old 02-22-2012, 03:53 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by rmdhawaii
That setup looks fine. Since you're new to RC, the 2012 won't make much of a difference. It's your setup and driving that have the most impact on well you do.

Keep in mind, that belt driven cars don't do so well on unswept streets and parking lots, because small rocks have a tendency of getting into the gears (belt and transmission gears) and chewing them up. Tub/shaft driven cars are more durable on streets and parking lots.
I realize that risk with the belts and gears, we get a lot of rain here in Vancouver to wash our streets and parking lots off If I could get a shaft driven car in kit form I would, but I understand there is not one made.
Old 02-22-2012, 05:12 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rmdhawaii
+1, I started about a year ago and grabbed a nice used NT1 from a local guy which was a sponsored driver. The NT1 right now is the best all around car to get into the hobby . Parts are a little expensive but there is A LOT of support with this car. Whether it is another local racer, RCTech, or XRAYs website. The only thing i would recommend is lose the NiMH pack and get a 1200-1300mah LiFe battery. It will shave a little weight which will overall increase performance. Also, i would invest in a 1/10 scale setup station, this will be your best friend for dialing the car on different tracks