R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 07-10-2010, 10:03 AM   #16
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMD View Post
If the heater is DC, you could run it with a battery. Don't know what powers it though. I had a 12V battery and inverter (which is cheaper than a generator) in my trailer.

I know it's a little late but, the break-in technique you use will determine how fast you loose pinch. Usually, the manufactures method will leave you with alot of pinch. This is great to make the motor last a while (as long as you change the rod). If you want to lose the pinch and get it up to race spec. quickly, I suggest this method next time http://cefx.net/catalog/breakin.php Very good and popular method to break-in any motor.

Inverter & 12v battery is the cheapest way if he believes on preheating. online Heartlands is the cheapest online I know for a 500amp inverter. $35 i think.
Geezatec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 05:29 PM   #17
Tech Rookie

I have a JP 21R-7L and just broken it in a month ago. I know your pain. It was super tight and had to use a flat head at times when it got stuck at TDC. Many starter boxes couldn't even turn the flywheel it was so tight.
The Kyosho 2.0 was the only starter box that could crank it from a cold state.
jclay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 08:33 PM   #18
Tech Adept

Thanks guy for the help. I did purchase a Butane Micro Therm Flame Less Heat Gun and was able to start the engine two times away from any power source. It wasn't successful after the 3rd time I just couldn't get the engine hot enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jclay View Post
I have a JP 21R-7L and just broken it in a month ago. I know your pain. It was super tight and had to use a flat head at times when it got stuck at TDC. Many starter boxes couldn't even turn the flywheel it was so tight.
The Kyosho 2.0 was the only starter box that could crank it from a cold state.
How do you like your 21R-7L I almost brought that engine for $300, but got this motor instead ... I do think my starter box is part of the problem it is over 5 years old ...
Twisted_Metal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 08:39 PM   #19
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted_Metal View Post
Thanks guy for the help. I did purchase a Butane Micro Therm Flame Less Heat Gun and was able to start the engine two times away from any power source. It wasn't successful after the 3rd time I just couldn't get the engine hot enough.

How do you like your 21R-7L I almost brought that engine for $300, but got this motor instead ... I do think my starter box is part of the problem it is over 5 years old ...
What starter box you useing. 12v, single or dual motor, Single or dual 7.2v packs??? How much mah you useing??
Old 07-12-2010, 11:07 PM   #20
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezatec View Post
What starter box you useing. 12v, single or dual motor, Single or dual 7.2v packs??? How much mah you useing??
Single 12v. engine ofna pink box off a 12v. car battery with the engine running ....
Old 07-12-2010, 11:46 PM   #21
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezatec View Post
Inverter & 12v battery is the cheapest way if he believes on preheating. online Heartlands is the cheapest online I know for a 500amp inverter. $35 i think.
I've been looking into those inverters, but I'm afraid I'll fry my car battery or damage something on my car. The heat gun requires 10amps @1200watts
Old 07-13-2010, 09:32 AM   #22
Tech Rookie

Quote:

I love it. It has some serious top end power. I also got it modded from abmods. It will hang or even run better than the higher end Jp's or Rossi's out there. I have about 16 tanks through it so far and the flywheel is still super tight. I thought it would loosen up a bit by now, but as long as it still cranks I have no complaints.
jclay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 05:02 PM   #23
Tech Master

Quote:
I've been looking into those inverters, but I'm afraid I'll fry my car battery or damage something on my car. The heat gun requires 10amps @1200watts
Check you IM's
Old 07-17-2010, 09:00 PM   #24
Tech Adept

Just a update ...

18 tanks later .... or was it 19 ahhh crap! I don't remember now. Anyhow I'm able to crank it over on the box successfully if I remove the turbo plug a few turns. What a pain in the you know what to break-in. Now out of the 9 years I've been doing this I've never had this much trouble, but I think it was all worth it ...
Old 07-17-2010, 09:04 PM   #25
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

it will be worth it..just wait till it drops its nuts,you will be very impressed