Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
question for 1:8 onroaders. >

question for 1:8 onroaders.

question for 1:8 onroaders.

Old 07-05-2010, 05:33 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default question for 1:8 onroaders.

hey guys. Got a generalized question here. Been driving Rc for 7 yrs now and finally decided to get 1:8 scale onroad car(MRX-4X). I have yet to put it together. This one has a front one way and solid axle in the back. I guess that's pretty univeral. I have owned and driven all sorts of RC vehicles (I currently run a Kyosho RRR WC with a front soild spool and a Kyosho St-RR truggy)but given the size and power of 1:8 onroad I just wondered how does it drive?

I know it sound like a vague question since prolly no 2 cars drives the same..but just need a general idea. I had a serpent IMPACT once with front one way/solid rear axle. I couldnt use brakes at all or it would spin out due to the front one way and it was all about throttle control and carrying enuf corner speed without spinning out. Does the same idea apply to 1:8 scale onroad? I mean when I drive my RRR I have to stay on da gas to get it to turn and I use brakes quite often to get weight transfer to front..But with the MRX4X I am thinking I have to drive it like my Impact..am I right? Any insight would be appreciated. I hate to look like a jackass the first time I bust out the new ride..LOL

A short video of our parking lot track
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x32UZqNPxBk
Old 07-05-2010, 06:07 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

It should be similar to the impact you had.

when you have a front one-way only the rears will be able to brake. if the car is spinning out under braking, you are probably grabbing too much brake.
Remember, that a tire only has so much traction. You can use this traction for accelerating, braking, or turning. If you are doing any those things simultaneously you will probably be overloading the available traction for the tire and that tire will start to slide. For maximum braking effect, brake in a straight section, and not in a turn.

Setting up you car is also critical for getting the most out of your braking ability. Try playing with the rear toe and droop settings. The back of the car gets light under hard braking, but a good set up can minimalize the car sliding out side ways.

some fellas like to set up their cars with drag brakes, where when your finger is off the throttle, the brakes will drag. There will be no coasting/ neutral.

Personally i like to use push brakes, where there is a neutral position and the car will be able to coast. Ive never had luck with drag brakes, i find its easy upset the car in a turn, its hard to fix your line too.
Old 07-05-2010, 06:39 PM
Tech Master

it will drive fine, the locked rear diff works to slow the car up plenty when its trying to turn a corner.

Adjust the brake on the day, throttle a bit then hit the brake, adjust the brake off until the car brakes in a straight line without the rear end kicking out. The more grip the track has the more brakes u can run usually.

Once you get better at controlling the car u can use more brakes and just push ur finger as much as is needed but until then use little amount.