R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 05-26-2004, 11:54 AM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default Overheating... Please help

Hi there,

Just fitted my new CEN NT 16 engine , to my pure ten alpha .

I am trying to break in the engine at the moment , however I am having trouble with it overheating .

So far I have not been able to run a single tank without it overheating

I have got at most , through half a tank , then I do the spit test and its way too hot and I have to shut it off and cool it down .

Ive tried opening out the needle to make it richer , however this hasn't worked . My air filter is clean , and letting air in so thats not the problem .

Anyone got any ideas
gregor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 12:30 PM   #2
Tech Addict

Which needle are you adjusting? make sure it's the low speed needle if you are just letting the car idle, or the high speed needle if you are doing a WOT break in. Also make sure you don't have any air leaks. An air leak will make tuning and overheating your worst nightmare. Make sure all engine fastners are tight and I always try to seal opening around the carb to prevent air leaks. If you're not already, continue your break in with the body OFF. Also, it's a good idea to get a temp gun. The spit test will give you a general idea of your temps, but an I/R temp gun will give you pretty accurate numbers. That way you have a good idea just how hot or out of tune you may be. Hope this helps.
j240z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 12:34 PM   #3
Tech Rookie

Thanks very much for your help .

I have been using the high end needle

It says the low speed needle should be mostly set as factory settings , but if I am to change it , what do I change and what will it gain ???
Old 05-26-2004, 12:44 PM   #4
Tech Addict

Well if you're just letting the car idle while breaking it in then adjusting the high speed needle isn't going to do much for you until you give the engine some throttle. If you change the low speed needle and you want to cool the engine (more fuel) then you will most likely need to turn it counter clockwise. (check your manual just to be sure) Make really small moves like 1/16 of a turn at a time. On a new engine it's usually a very fine line between idling and flooding so take your time. This should help.
Once the engine is broken in you will need to tune your high, mid (if equiped), and low needles. If you're manual doesn't provide tuning tips, you will want to tune your high end needle first while driving the car at high speeds, and work your way to tuning the low speed needle last- ensuring the car takes off good from a stop. But always make sure to follow your manuals recomendations since all engines are somewhat different.
j240z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 12:48 PM   #5
Tech Rookie

Thanks,

Is that a solution to the overheating ??

At first my car kept shooting off at idle , so I tightened the Idle screw slightly and it made a big difference , but the acceleration of the car was very sluggish and the car was close to stalling , so I guess changing the low speed needle would help this ?
Old 05-26-2004, 01:10 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Send a message via ICQ to markp27

Gregor,

In my signature below is the FAQ for the Serpent 710 - it also contains a couple of articles on breaking an engine in - it would be worth you reading these.

Most carbs have a LSN adjusting screw in the throttle linkage, i.e. where you attach your servo onto the throttle slider you will see a screw head. This controls the mixture of the low speed needle (LSN). If you're running at idle and the engine is getting too hot, turn this anti clockwise 1/4 of a turn (this is a big change in the mixture, normally you won't make such drastic changes, but if your engine is really overheating, then lets get the temp down quick!!!! Later if it is then running too cold, lean it by one "hour", i.e. 1/12th). Let the engine run and turn again if necessary

However - idle break in is a bad idea, as the engine isn't experiencing revs and temperature at which it will be running - again look at the FAQ below for all the information you require.

Hope this helps, Mark.
markp27 is offline   Reply With Quote