R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-25-2004, 09:35 PM   #1
Tech Addict
 
j240z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Everybody to the limit!
Posts: 651
Default Removing anodized color?

I wasn't sure what forum to post this is. I guess nitro cars have alot of anodized metal so here I am.
Does anyone know how to remove the anodized coloring found on most metal r/c parts? I have a couple of small parts I would rather have a natural alum. look. Any info would be great! Thanks
j240z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 09:41 PM   #2
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Nor*Cal/SF Bay Area
Posts: 270
Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to James Y
Default

oven cleaner.
James Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 09:49 PM   #3
Suspended
 
hudy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: California
Posts: 124
Default

acid
hudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 10:20 PM   #4
Super Moderator
 
Marcos.J's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Semper Fi
Posts: 27,187
Trader Rating: 182 (100%+)
Default Re: Removing anodized color?

Quote:
Originally posted by j240z
I wasn't sure what forum to post this is. I guess nitro cars have alot of anodized metal so here I am.
Does anyone know how to remove the anodized coloring found on most metal r/c parts? I have a couple of small parts I would rather have a natural alum. look. Any info would be great! Thanks
easy get the trinity nitro wash in the plastic bottle, that should take it out
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 10:34 PM   #5
Tech Elite
 
C Verano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Cali
Posts: 3,845
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

EASY-OFF
__________________
RC Target, Capricorn RC, Matrix Tires, KO PROPO America, PowerMaster Fuel, Absolute Hobbyz, Bellybutton Paint
C Verano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 04:48 PM   #6
Tech Initiate
 
DMACK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: San Diego
Posts: 34
Default

Easy off will work, Drano works better.

Soak them in water mixed with Drano, check them every fifteen minutes. With protective gogles on, and some rubber gloves brush the parts and the anodizing will come right off. Use a toothbrush for the tight spots.

Be careful, drano is an acid. Also dont mix Drano with Easy Off, bad combo!!
DMACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 04:56 PM   #7
Tech Master
 
eddiethefish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Montebello, California
Posts: 1,658
Send a message via ICQ to eddiethefish
Default

always a new thing to learn everyday. Great tips! But, why would one want to remove the anodize off the finished product?



Quote:
Originally posted by DMACK
Easy off will work, Drano works better.

Soak them in water mixed with Drano, check them every fifteen minutes. With protective gogles on, and some rubber gloves brush the parts and the anodizing will come right off. Use a toothbrush for the tight spots.

Be careful, drano is an acid. Also dont mix Drano with Easy Off, bad combo!!
eddiethefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 08:01 PM   #8
Tech Addict
 
j240z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Everybody to the limit!
Posts: 651
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by eddiethefish
always a new thing to learn everyday. Great tips! But, why would one want to remove the anodize off the finished product?

Well all the aluminum parts on my MTX3 are silver except for a small blue servo arm. I guess I'm just anal about that kind of stuff. I've got some draino around here somewhere. I'm gonna give it a shot.
thanks for all the tips
j240z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 04:23 PM   #9
Tech Initiate
 
DMACK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: San Diego
Posts: 34
Default

I've had pieces of aluminum that were anodized that got scratched up, or pitted and I decided to polish them to make them mirror shily. The problem it is takes forever with the anodizing on there. Instead of buffing for a week, you just soak the parts in the draino and water, and in an hour or two you can get on to mking the aluminum shine!
DMACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 04:27 PM   #10
Tech Master
 
eddiethefish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Montebello, California
Posts: 1,658
Send a message via ICQ to eddiethefish
Default

so, I can get rid of the hpi purple on the heatsink now. Will it damage the material at all?

Quote:
Originally posted by DMACK
I've had pieces of aluminum that were anodized that got scratched up, or pitted and I decided to polish them to make them mirror shily. The problem it is takes forever with the anodizing on there. Instead of buffing for a week, you just soak the parts in the draino and water, and in an hour or two you can get on to mking the aluminum shine!
eddiethefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 04:55 PM   #11
Tech Fanatic
 
PSI Racing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Fontana, CA
Posts: 881
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by eddiethefish
always a new thing to learn everyday. Great tips! But, why would one want to remove the anodize off the finished product?

I guess we all get tired of seeing purple on everything.
Make sure you get some metal polish after you do the easy off or draino thing.
The easy off will make your parts turn black.
Just polish it off afterwards.
I never tried the draino.
I used to do this way back when the RC10 had all that nasty gold everywhere.
PSI Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 05:20 PM   #12
Tech Master
 
eddiethefish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Montebello, California
Posts: 1,658
Send a message via ICQ to eddiethefish
Default

thanks! Guess no easy off for me then, since it's gonna be tough to buff out those black stuff on heatsink fins. plenty of draino at home, will give it a shot at it.

best,

Quote:
Originally posted by PSI Racing
I guess we all get tired of seeing purple on everything.
Make sure you get some metal polish after you do the easy off or draino thing.
The easy off will make your parts turn black.
Just polish it off afterwards.
I never tried the draino.
I used to do this way back when the RC10 had all that nasty gold everywhere.
eddiethefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 05:33 PM   #13
Tech Fanatic
 
PSI Racing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Fontana, CA
Posts: 881
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by eddiethefish
thanks! Guess no easy off for me then, since it's gonna be tough to buff out those black stuff on heatsink fins. plenty of draino at home, will give it a shot at it.

best,
Ask someone if the draino leaves the black stuff before you try it.
I'm not sure if it does.
I've never used it.
I know for sure the easy off leaves that mess.
PSI Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 07:27 PM   #14
Tech Elite
 
stefan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Bavaria, Germany
Posts: 3,273
Send a message via AIM to stefan
Default

one teaspoon of Red Devil drain cleaner in a quart of water. 5 minutes= everythings off.

Use dishwashing detergent to get the black stuff off.
stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How do you anodized color on to parts. roadrashracing Rookie Zone 5 10-19-2007 07:57 PM
anodized color???? jhigga15 Florida Racing 1 05-28-2004 06:25 PM
Changing anodized color? Danpatinod Electric On-Road 2 04-14-2004 08:56 PM
which pactra red color looks the most like this anodized part? crono man Painting, Designs, Graphics and Photography 3 08-18-2003 12:21 AM
removing color from alloy TWiZTiD Electric On-Road 17 08-13-2003 08:12 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 07:55 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net