R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 07-01-2010, 01:05 AM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default Kyosho GXR28 Inferno GT2 Bent crank Shaft from mild accident

Hi Guys!

So... I'll start from the top!

I got this as a present from the wife... love it! only drove it twice now... Had a few problems with the pull start - but got use to the short quick pulls and all working fine...

On the second time I drove it - I handed the controller to the wife (What was I thinking!)... first few minutes were ok... then she throttled it on a straight, it changed transmission - hitting high speeds! and she forgot that on the controller left is right and right is left.... BAAAAAM! straight into a wall! Car looked OK.. the foam at the front had come off the screws... and also noticed that the crank shaft was wonky! ARRGHHHH!

Heres a picture of it guys... I've tried to highlight it as best as I could...
it just about touches the other metal rod to its left.... but doesn't look that worrying - But I wanted your opinion on it first...

Shall I replace? Is it easy? Is there a tutorial out there that someone has? What do you think??

Much appreciated on your responses guys... !
Thanks!

Digga D
Attached Thumbnails
Kyosho GXR28 Inferno GT2 Bent crank Shaft from mild accident-gxr28.jpg  

Last edited by diggad; 07-01-2010 at 01:46 AM.
diggad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 02:04 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Check your pm
Jspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 02:44 AM   #3
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via Yahoo to redsand

that is not a crank shaft.
you can just replace it.
redsand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 02:51 AM   #4
Tech Rookie

Apologies it's not a crank shaft... I'm new to this...

How would I replace it... I took a good look - and it looks pretty complicated as I would have to remove the disc brakes?
diggad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 03:38 AM   #5
Tech Elite

It won't be to hard. Just loosen up the center transmission to free up the shaft, then pull it out.
Old 07-01-2010, 08:06 AM   #6
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Cool

It looks like the motor moved also. The gear alignment between the clutch bell and 2 speed spur gears look off (could be the picture). Also check the bottom of the chassis with a straight edge, you may have bent it causing the bent drive shaft.
williamw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 10:12 AM   #7
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

If the front swing shaft is bent as shown in the picture the chassis is also.

The new front swing shaft part # is KYOIG101.

On Ebay they sell a dragon racing chassis that is much stronger then the Kyosho crap, I would suggest replacing the chassis with that one.

GL
*1speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 11:47 AM   #8
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamw View Post
It looks like the motor moved also. The gear alignment between the clutch bell and 2 speed spur gears look off (could be the picture). Also check the bottom of the chassis with a straight edge, you may have bent it causing the bent drive shaft.
i saw that too, may be just the angle of the picture being taken. if it hit hard enough the engine will move, there is a lot of mass there. i saw a picco integra do a quick 60-0 mph and the engine was ripped right off the chassis and hurled into the stratosphere.
Turbo9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 12:07 PM   #9
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

He's new to our hobby. Diggad, you can replace every single part on that car, its not a radio shack car. If you break, bend or wear anything out, you can replace it. Just find the Kyosho dealer closest to you and order the parts. Get yourself a good set of tools, and go to town on it, you'll figiure it out, im sure it came with a manual.
nitrodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 10:46 PM   #10
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggad View Post
Hi Guys!

So... I'll start from the top!

I got this as a present from the wife... love it! only drove it twice now... Had a few problems with the pull start - but got use to the short quick pulls and all working fine...

On the second time I drove it - I handed the controller to the wife (What was I thinking!)... first few minutes were ok... then she throttled it on a straight, it changed transmission - hitting high speeds! and she forgot that on the controller left is right and right is left.... BAAAAAM! straight into a wall! Car looked OK.. the foam at the front had come off the screws... and also noticed that the crank shaft was wonky! ARRGHHHH!

Heres a picture of it guys... I've tried to highlight it as best as I could...
it just about touches the other metal rod to its left.... but doesn't look that worrying - But I wanted your opinion on it first...

Shall I replace? Is it easy? Is there a tutorial out there that someone has? What do you think??

Much appreciated on your responses guys... !
Thanks!

Digga D
Not sure what Kyosho calls it but it is known as the front drive shaft. Very easy to fix. BTW try to run where there's nothing to hit like curbs, tire stops and car tires!

MBX5-T/XTM 24.7, TMAXX Classic, Blitz, Rage Brushless
Thunder Tiger EB-4 S2 converted to 1/8 Super GT On Road /Picco .28
It's Alive! It's Alive!
BigMiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 07:16 AM   #11
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to bobbyblaze

more than likely if the driveshaft bent the chassis is too....i know you new to this but i break out the manual take off the front,rear end & radio tray off...lay it on flat table to see it bent or twisted ...if it is you use a vice to fix or buy a new one & the driveshaft some people bend them back or just replace it ...one more thing check the diffs too for any chips
Bend The Rules--Rule The Bends
bobbyblaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 05:11 PM   #12
Tech Regular

Is there an official Inferno GT2 thread anywhere on RCTech?

Also, can anyone help me decide between the DRX Subaru Impreza or the Inferno GT2 Audi?