R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 05-24-2004, 08:10 AM   #1
ade
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default NTC3 and CENTAX/ PUSH CLUTCH

Hi,

This is my first post on this board. I've been watching it for quite a while now.

Is there a centax clutch out there that will allow you to use the stock NTC3 pinion gears?

I'm not interested in being able to change only one gear....I want to be able to change both (1st and 2nd gears).

Thanks in advance,

Tony
ade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 08:35 AM   #2
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara

Nope....

Yokomo, K-Factory, OFNA and Hongnor are all using their own pinion gears............as a matter of fact, these centax MIGHT be able to use the same pinion from each one of them...but I am not sure.

The stock AE pinion will work only on AE clutch housing.

But why do you want to use AE pinions on these centax? what is the advantage? Because AE has 20-27T but I know Hongnor has 20-29T..........even more and better then AE.
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 08:22 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Nrctc3 Send a message via Yahoo to Nrctc3

I ran the Kawahara one a few times & my suggestion is to not waste your money. The centax for the NTC3 has to be smaller than normal. So that means you lose accel, plus it get hot, & slips quite a bit. Another guy at the track tried it and he didn't like it etheir. I put my stock one back on and I was 2secc. faster. Stick with the stock one!
Nrctc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 11:54 PM   #4
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Nrctc3
I ran the Kawahara one a few times & my suggestion is to not waste your money. The centax for the NTC3 has to be smaller than normal. So that means you lose accel, plus it get hot, & slips quite a bit. Another guy at the track tried it and he didn't like it etheir. I put my stock one back on and I was 2secc. faster. Stick with the stock one!
Yup, a fren of mine got the centax, slow slightly to engage but the most frequent problem is the gear in the gearbox giving way, kaput, clean with no more teeth on it
cow buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 04:54 AM   #5
Tech Apprentice

Default re:centax

guys the reason gears strip is improper shimming i have never stripped a gear in the tc3 yet.there is definitely an acceleration advantage to the centax when properly installed.if you want to see how to set one up properly check out the trinity site to do it properly .the over heating someone spoke of is due to the fact the bell was running against the shoe face not an actual clutch problem.you can use the ld3 stuff in the tc3(i did it).imo.
morpwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 07:42 AM   #6
ade
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Thanks for the info.

I'm currently running a three shoe aluminum shoe set up from crazy nut racing. The shoes are pocket on one side and I have the associated stiff clutch spring and lightend clutch bell. I'm thinking of taking the shoes and drilling a small hole in each to make them lighter. This should retard the engagement more.

This whole centax things is getting to be too much.

Any comments?

Thanks,

Tony
ade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 04:44 PM   #7
Tech Initiate

I've never been a big centax fan. I run the three shoe clutch, with the shoes cut back quite a bit but not on their face. I cut them on an angle from the end, back on a 45 degree angle to retain all of the contact surface area. It makes the shoes lighter, but keeps the same amount of shoe surface touching the clutch bell. I also run the copper springs.

I also not a big fan of the aluminum clutch shoes they hold too much heat and can fuse to the clutch bell when melted making the whole assembly junk. The original shoes are more predictable and don't carry much heat at all.

The centax claim to fame if ease of adjustability, but they are much heavier. A properly adjusted three shoe clutch will stomp on a centax clutch. Ask any of the Team Associated drivers, they all run three shoe clutches.

I drive against alot of racers who have centax clutches in several different cars, and with the three shoe clutch, cut shoes and stiff springs my NTC3 rocks them. A modified RB V12 may have something to do with it, but even a powerful motor with a porely tuned clutch won't get it done!
DMACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 07:16 PM   #8
Tech Apprentice

Default re;centax

i do agree that a three shoe clutch can be made to work properly,cut some shoe off try it,cut some more try again,opps went to far buy new shoes!not only that a centax will always grab harder than a three shoe due to more surface area.how much of your shoe has wear marks on it maybe 1/3 or alittle more.because of the way they work they will always be inefficient at best and only if you clean the shoes and bell frequently.the biggest poblem i see with the centax is there is a learning curve ,most people give up too easy.every high end car has one because they work better ,does anyone honestly think anyteam driver or up and comer would run one if it made him slower?imo
morpwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 07:24 PM   #9
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I use a Kfactory centax/OS TR in one NTC3 and a Kawahara/NS12 in the other. AE 1st gears fit the Kawahara 1st gear. Need specific gears for Kawahara second and both Kfactory gears.

I would never go back to a standard shoe clutch.

I'm betting that once AE rebadges or endorses a centax design, their drivers will be using them as well.
ZipZap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 06:28 AM   #10
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I have tried the Kuwahara, & LD3 Centax & give me the AE 3 shoe any day. Centax clutches are for 8th scale & 235mm
soc123_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 06:36 AM   #11
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Tabushi Send a message via Yahoo to Tabushi

Yokomo makes centax, pinions and gears for the tc3 and they are bulletproof ...

E-Mail : [email protected]
Facebook : http://www.facebook.com/patoconcha
Whatsapp : +56 9 66165085
Tabushi is offline   Reply With Quote