R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 06-29-2010, 08:05 AM   #1
Tech Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to sheeley
Default clutch stuff

If anyone is interested I thought I would share the way I set my clutch. I get very little wear and it works great. I start with a new spring and my gap some where around .4. I dont measure this. Its a little gap and I dont reshim it. So it starts with a little and ends with a lot. I think this keeps the clutch as consistant as possible. This is with a new spring and stock flyweights. So my gap starts around .4 and when my shoe is worn out after about 4 races the gap is around .8. I just tighten the nut to get the amount of slip I want. I like a little more slip then most do. I also like to polish the inside of my clutch bell to get it as smooth as possible. So I would say I get about 4 races out of my shoe, spring and gears. Then I change all and repolish the bell. This is just how I do my clutch and if this helps a few people then great
I also keep all my used shoes and springs. I put a used shoe and spring in at the last race with some flyweights that were a little bit lighter and it worked great. When I pull my shoes out they are probably only half used up. Sometimes I keep them in and reshim with a new spring. The new springs will lose some strength fast at first. I need to tighten my clutch nut after practice and after first qualifier Then it stays pretty consistant for a while. I will usualy tighten it a bit before the main. Its good to get good with knowing how the clutch should sound in the pits either when the car on the ground or by holding the rear tire so you can adjust the nut in the pits. After about 4 races sometimes less my springs cant be tightened anymore or I will get clutch dust from the shoe not being able to make full contact with the bell.

Hopefully I didnt forget anything, I hope this helps and good luck in your races.

The polishing of the bell is probably not important at all. I have a lathe that will hold the bell tight and spin it for me while I polish it.

4 races = 4 race days or around 4 hours

Last edited by sheeley; 07-04-2010 at 11:25 AM. Reason: cuz i make mistakes
sheeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 08:40 AM   #2
Tech Regular

Last edited by sheeley; 06-29-2010 at 03:43 PM.
Old 06-29-2010, 08:32 PM   #3
Tech Master

Thanks Justin
Rich Browne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 10:50 PM   #4
occ
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Thanks for the info but I think you should add the following so the post makes a bit more sense.

What clutch is it?
What colour shoe?
What fly weights you use? Are they drilled out?
What clutch spring?
occ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 12:11 AM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by occ View Post
Thanks for the info but I think you should add the following so the post makes a bit more sense.

What clutch is it?
What colour shoe?
What fly weights you use? Are they drilled out?
What clutch spring?
Thanks for the tips. Some of this info might come in handy as well. Maybe one day I'll drag my heap out to RAMS.
Wanabrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 12:30 AM   #6
Tech Regular

What clutch is it? serpent 966
What colour shoe? yellow
What fly weights you use? Are they drilled out? stock serpent
What clutch spring?orion square

@wanabrc - Yellow or red shoe will work great in whatever clutch you have. I will be more then happy to help get it tuned in at the track.

Last edited by sheeley; 06-30-2010 at 09:16 AM.