R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-20-2010, 09:05 AM   #1
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 925
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default question about gearing..

i want to put a xray diff into the RRR..

however the rrr diff is 42t and xray diff is 41t

what would be the effects of running a rear diff with 1t less.. i know that its going to have 'more' front overdrive.. since there is going to be more rotation in the rear.

am i still going to be able to run the stock belt? or is it going to be loose?.. what if i put the diff on the tightest setting?
__________________
TEAM DURANGO CARBON DEX210 - POWERED BY TEKIN RS GEN2/TEKIN GEN2 17.5
TEAM DURANGO CARBON DEX410 - POWERED BY TEKIN RS PRO/REEDY SONIC 17.5
TEAM ASSOCIATED B5 - POWERED BY TEKIN RS GEN2/TEKIN GEN2 17.5
LiL_JaSoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 09:14 AM   #2
Tech Lord
 
wingracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 12,861
Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiL_JaSoN View Post
i want to put a xray diff into the RRR..

however the rrr diff is 42t and xray diff is 41t

what would be the effects of running a rear diff with 1t less.. i know that its going to have 'more' front overdrive.. since there is going to be more rotation in the rear.

am i still going to be able to run the stock belt? or is it going to be loose?.. what if i put the diff on the tightest setting?
I have no idea as I have neither car but if everything fits, it should work. You would just want to run a bit smaller front tire (or bigger rear tire) to get the overdrive right.
__________________
Sean. Certified speed crazed mowron.
Team Shepherd USA
www.ashfordhobby.com
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 09:23 AM   #3
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 925
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingracer View Post
I have no idea as I have neither car but if everything fits, it should work. You would just want to run a bit smaller front tire (or bigger rear tire) to get the overdrive right.
well rrr has 2 front overdrives
0mm 24t pulley
2mm 23t pulley

as the front overdrive is going to increase, i believe you will need to run bigger tires..
maybe change it to the 0mm (24t) pulley to make up for it? and run a 1mm split? - or if someone is good at this stuff, can they workout the split how a 41t will change it?

all i want to know is if the stock belt will work on the 41t
__________________
TEAM DURANGO CARBON DEX210 - POWERED BY TEKIN RS GEN2/TEKIN GEN2 17.5
TEAM DURANGO CARBON DEX410 - POWERED BY TEKIN RS PRO/REEDY SONIC 17.5
TEAM ASSOCIATED B5 - POWERED BY TEKIN RS GEN2/TEKIN GEN2 17.5
LiL_JaSoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 09:52 AM   #4
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 1,276
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiL_JaSoN View Post
well rrr has 2 front overdrives
0mm 24t pulley
2mm 23t pulley

as the front overdrive is going to increase, i believe you will need to run bigger tires..
maybe change it to the 0mm (24t) pulley to make up for it? and run a 1mm split? - or if someone is good at this stuff, can they workout the split how a 41t will change it?

all i want to know is if the stock belt will work on the 41t
the split is easy right? the brake pulley is 21t i thinK? so your rear ratio would be 1.95 instead of 2.0, the front is a 19t and 27t I think? so that is 1.42. side pulley is 19t and 23/24 so 1.2/1.26, and lets say 2nd gear 23/55 (2.31) your final would be 5.52:1

front assuming I am right at 19/27
1.7:1 (23t)
1.78:1 (24t)

rear again assuming I am right with the 21
1.95:1 (41t)
2.0 (42t)

good idea, let me know how it goes. the ratios are close enough that I would run the xray diffs for sure. at my track a 10 minute qualifier will throw my gear ratios off enough that 0.05 OD on the rear will mean nothing to me since I will lose 3-4mm of tire anyway.

as for the stock belt, without being able to measure the outer diameters of each pulley its hard to say but I run my belt at the absolute loosest setting at all times so there is easily room to tighten 1 tooth I would imagine.
__________________
Support those that support us

https://ActivRC.com http://TeamPowersUSA.net https://www.1upracing.com/ http://TeamAssociated.com
Brian Bosley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 09:56 AM   #5
Tech Lord
 
wingracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 12,861
Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiL_JaSoN View Post
all i want to know is if the stock belt will work on the 41t
Do you have to run full tight with the stock diff? 1 tooth will make it looser but I wouldn't think it would be much looser so if you have another notch to go, that very well may be enough.

I have never worked on an RRR so I don't know if this is possible or not but on the Shepherd 1/8th, you can actually cut another notch in the bulkhead to get it even tighter if you need to. Maybe that would be an option as well.
__________________
Sean. Certified speed crazed mowron.
Team Shepherd USA
www.ashfordhobby.com
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 11:12 AM   #6
Tech Elite
 
lil-bump's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: The Cold Great Lakes
Posts: 2,964
Trader Rating: 83 (100%+)
Default

You might want to try a mtx4r rear belt it has one less pitch than the kyosho belt .
I ran into this when I changed my rear brake pulley from 19t to 20t the mugen belt was too short.

It's just going to be a pain for replacement parts. You'll be stocking Xray,Kyosho,mugen parts for one car. That's what turned me off from the idea and I have too many mugen belts.

I attempted to lower the internal drive ratio of the MTX4r from 2.15 to 2.05 like all the other cars. What I found is the mugen diffs are so huge that the engine did not like pulling the larger pinion (20t vice 19T) plus the weight of the diffs ( I lost too much acceleration). But the car was definitely faster.
But your idea seems feasible. It just the point of stocking more parts for your application. I take it you found the bearings at boca.


Pass you soon...
__________________
Elliott Hart
Serpent America
Desoto Racing Team
Chicky fan club member #9
One Eighth Racers of Toledo
lil-bump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 06:25 PM   #7
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 925
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil-bump View Post
You might want to try a mtx4r rear belt it has one less pitch than the kyosho belt .
I ran into this when I changed my rear brake pulley from 19t to 20t the mugen belt was too short.

It's just going to be a pain for replacement parts. You'll be stocking Xray,Kyosho,mugen parts for one car. That's what turned me off from the idea and I have too many mugen belts.

I attempted to lower the internal drive ratio of the MTX4r from 2.15 to 2.05 like all the other cars. What I found is the mugen diffs are so huge that the engine did not like pulling the larger pinion (20t vice 19T) plus the weight of the diffs ( I lost too much acceleration). But the car was definitely faster.
But your idea seems feasible. It just the point of stocking more parts for your application. I take it you found the bearings at boca.


Pass you soon...
so mugen belt is 179t?. i think the 180t will be fine as i have it on the looses setting, so i still got 2 notch to go.
__________________
TEAM DURANGO CARBON DEX210 - POWERED BY TEKIN RS GEN2/TEKIN GEN2 17.5
TEAM DURANGO CARBON DEX410 - POWERED BY TEKIN RS PRO/REEDY SONIC 17.5
TEAM ASSOCIATED B5 - POWERED BY TEKIN RS GEN2/TEKIN GEN2 17.5
LiL_JaSoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 09:20 PM   #8
Tech Elite
 
lil-bump's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: The Cold Great Lakes
Posts: 2,964
Trader Rating: 83 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiL_JaSoN View Post
so mugen belt is 179t?. i think the 180t will be fine as i have it on the looses setting, so i still got 2 notch to go.
You owe me a beer. The Mugen rear belt has 59 teeth. with a 3mm pitch the Mugen belt is 177mm long. I'm not sure where you are getting the 179 from. The Kyosho is one tooth longer. That's 10 minutes of life I will never get back.


Pass you soon...
__________________
Elliott Hart
Serpent America
Desoto Racing Team
Chicky fan club member #9
One Eighth Racers of Toledo

Last edited by lil-bump; 06-20-2010 at 09:59 PM.
lil-bump is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question about MT's Fred30 Monster Trucks 51 03-31-2007 01:45 PM
Question About 64 pitch Gearing on My TC4????? SohcFTTC4 Electric On-Road 12 08-06-2006 01:57 AM
Question about RC10T (oh rocknbil...) lol beetlebz Electric Off-Road 10 04-07-2005 11:00 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 03:51 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net