R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

View Poll Results: If you would like to buy a new kit,which type you prefer?Shaft Drive or Belt Drive?
Shaft Drive(such as NTC3;FW05R;LD3/CD3...etc.) 36 50.70%
Belt Drive(such as 710R;V-one-series;MTX3;G4...etc.) 36 50.70%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-21-2004, 03:12 PM   #31
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by Rookie Solara
Go copy NTC3 and add the DRS with centax 3 and Mugen drop down throttle servos idea.....
speaking of which, i have a question for serpent drivers, how does the DRS working for you ? really curious about how it perform.
Data is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2004, 03:14 PM   #32
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara

Quote:
Originally posted by Data
speaking of which, i have a question for serpent drivers, how does the DRS working for you ? really curious about how it perform.
For my S710 before....it does NOTHING (the 0 setting performs the best, 0 is set the DRS not active)............but others might like it.
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2004, 04:14 PM   #33
Tech Elite

Quote:
For my S710 before....it does NOTHING (the 0 setting performs the best, 0 is set the DRS not active)............but others might like it.
Well, I've found it to be useful when I race at my indoor track. The track is lo-grip, smooth concrete and has a sweeper at the start of a straight that has most people sliding into the barriers.

I set mine to the down position and it seems to somehow help me power out of the sweeper! Don't know why exactly!
Old 05-21-2004, 07:13 PM   #34
Tech Regular

I vote belt.

The good belt cars have their engine and tank placed on the centerline for better weight distribution, which helps the balance. I've only had 1 shaft car but it was a pain to set up.
KevinS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2004, 09:10 PM   #35
Nitro Tech

Quote:
I have a dream.................SERPENT and MUGEN, when are you guys going to develope a shaft car....? Go copy NTC3 and add the DRS with centax 3 and Mugen drop down throttle servos idea.....
That is your dream car. My dream car is....YES,4 wheels and one chassis. If there is one horn that would be great! No need any fxxking set-up and forget any DRS?ABS?XXS?OOXX....system.....no matter how to play it,it just can win champion. That's all.
dino.tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2004, 09:23 PM   #36
Nitro Tech

I saw many people who say the shaft is hard to control or you need to change the driving style...??!!

I have a question to those shaft guy....
If your car has too many punch at the low-end and easy to spin,why not change the gearing? Exchange some torque to speed?
Old 05-21-2004, 10:19 PM   #37
B
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by dino.tw
I saw many people who say the shaft is hard to control or you need to change the driving style...??!!

Heh, if it is hard to control, then how come LD3 won so many tw championships?

I think it is not "hard", just different. But, some people who has run belt car for years may find the transition more difficult than others.
B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2004, 11:30 PM   #38
Tech Master

Well I don't find it hard to drive but I have not drove nitro belt so I can not compare..

Why not change gearing? Because I love insane acceleration hehehe

Also depends who you speak to.. seems most people like belt (most people learn to drive on belt?), but you get people who have experiences like this
Quote:
I would go shaft... first time out with no real practice or set up with an LD3 pro, at the meca, i did an 18 lapper, with a pullstart fantom I was still running in. I,ve run an MTX-3 and a G4 pro and neither of them compare to this weapon.
So yeah depends on a lot of things I guess with no clear "winner"
au_Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2004, 02:10 AM   #39
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

On a track> Belt

On a parking lot> shaft

Murnan Modified Motors

Mugen MRx4

Rocket Science Fuels

Auto Racing, Mountain climbing, and Bull fighting are the only true sports, all the rest are just games.
theRED5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2004, 09:52 AM   #40
Nitro Tech

Quote:
Originally posted by theRED5
On a track> Belt

On a parking lot> shaft
So we better have two different cars?
Old 05-22-2004, 10:18 AM   #41
Nitro Tech

Quote:
Originally posted by B
Heh, if it is hard to control, then how come LD3 won so many tw championships?
Winning or losing it just depend on the driver. Oh~I start to miss that Jeffrey Lin,he back to LA for a while. I have asked him this question long time ago,he said he love shaft car due to fast response likes EP.
Old 05-22-2004, 01:34 PM   #42
B
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by dino.tw
Winning or losing it just depend on the driver. Oh~I start to miss that Jeffrey Lin,he back to LA for a while. I have asked him this question long time ago,he said he love shaft car due to fast response likes EP.
yap agreed. I have heard the same thing that driving the 05R feels like driving EP on carpet.
B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2004, 11:59 PM   #43
Tech Elite

Depends on if that's the most important thing for you. With shaft, you pretty much have only one option, right down the middle, which makes for some interesting weight balancing acts. With a shaft you have to move the tank to the side, and the weight at this point is going to constantly change. With belts, you can move around the other parts more freely, but the belts have their own sets of characteristics. You have to weigh the importance of the variance in drivetrain vs. weight distribution. Of course that is asuming that everything else in the car is designed good; not a reality. My preference....hmmm. Belts in concept. In reality... another story
Old 05-23-2004, 12:28 AM   #44
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Send a message via ICQ to DOMOisCOOL Send a message via AIM to DOMOisCOOL Send a message via Yahoo to DOMOisCOOL

Quote:
Originally posted by edseb
Depends on if that's the most important thing for you. With shaft, you pretty much have only one option, right down the middle, which makes for some interesting weight balancing acts. With a shaft you have to move the tank to the side, and the weight at this point is going to constantly change. With belts, you can move around the other parts more freely, but the belts have their own sets of characteristics. You have to weigh the importance of the variance in drivetrain vs. weight distribution. Of course that is asuming that everything else in the car is designed good; not a reality. My preference....hmmm. Belts in concept. In reality... another story
Well said edseb. It's pretty much your choice. Which layout works best for you. Which is easier to work on. Parts availablility, etc.
DOMOisCOOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2004, 12:38 AM   #45
Suspended

removed - tsr6

Last edited by TSR6; 05-23-2004 at 09:45 AM.
hudy is offline   Reply With Quote