Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
2011 1/8 On-Road IFMAR World Championships, Miami >

2011 1/8 On-Road IFMAR World Championships, Miami

2011 1/8 On-Road IFMAR World Championships, Miami

Old 04-11-2011, 09:36 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

Good luck to the entire U.S. Race Team & all my local Floridians racers that are attending
Old 04-11-2011, 09:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by EAMotorsports
Yes it was decided (By IFMAR) that they should spray EVERY racers tires in TECH with alcohol because someone said certain teams were using tire sauce to gain traction. SO thats what IFMAR decided to do at the race Yesterday. Its causing some tires to split at the seams (attacking the glue) and tire wear to double in a 13 min run (3 min warmup and 10 min race).
The whole problem is that the IFMAR device that is used to detect sauces got damaged in transit. This is the only way they can be sure that noone is cheating. No way to advise racers ahead of time.

As far as i am concerned, if a racer uses additive, its only going to give an advantage for the first few laps, after that there is no advantage.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:46 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Slo-MTX4
The whole problem is that the IFMAR device that is used to detect sauces got damaged in transit. This is the only way they can be sure that noone is cheating. No way to advise racers ahead of time.

As far as i am concerned, if a racer uses additive, its only going to give an advantage for the first few laps, after that there is no advantage.
LOL @ Device,

Something I am sure thats very simple, Could it not be fixed?

I would think any treated tired would have a different feel, like wet or sticky ect ect
Old 04-11-2011, 09:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Monti
BSR American made tires are holding up awesome and working well! Good luck to all the BSR drivers!

Monti
Can you post some pictures of your tires, I have never seen the 1/8th scale line.

Steve
Old 04-11-2011, 09:54 PM
Tech Elite

As an electric on-road racer, I don't see the problem with tire doping. I've worked as a 1/8th nitro mechanic, and I know anyone at the Worlds certainly isn't short on tires. This is the Worlds, bring out your best, and if that includes tire dope, then I say so be it. It's not going to last more than a few laps, so I say screw the extra tech issues and let 'em run the sauce. Easier on IFMAR, and the race management, and fair to all. Just my humble opinion.

And GO TEAM BSR!!! Good to see a local company have a presence at such a prestigious event!!
Old 04-11-2011, 09:58 PM
Tech Elite

Almost forgot, SUCK IT UP and put in a good run Filo!!!!!
Old 04-11-2011, 10:45 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Any vids of pits/cars and track action? Please...
Old 04-11-2011, 10:51 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Vector03cobra
Never seen anyone talk about it, is it a IFMAR rule to have your tires sprayed?
[I am not at this event, though I would LOVE to be]

It has been about a year for me since I read over all the international rulebooks but I have yet to see any rules on tire sauce. For those looking for "IFMAR" rules, you might want to look at the EFRA rulebook. It has always seemed to me that IFMAR follows EFRA as a model for majority of their guidelines and rules. And while their is a lot of bureaucratic overhead in EFRA rulings (read their posted meeting notes<g>), they all seem to make good sense when they get 'em on paper.

To the guys asking why not let everybody run sauce? It is not quite like indoor carpet racing, but the same principal. If everybody runs different sauces, they end up all mixing on the track and who knows what weird conditions they can encounter. Track could turn to junk REALLY fast. Race control's idea to spray tires with alky sounds funny but it made all kinds of sense to me when I heard about it. FTR, I have NEVER been impressed with Enetti gluing technique and they have been splitting at the seams for over a decade. I wouldn't point the finger at IFMAR for creating this problem.

Some mentioned black stuff coming off fresh cut tires. Isn't it possible they were scuffs and had already been run and skim cut? Seems quite plausible they would have track goo come off of them when sprayed.

We all agree that traction compound is only good for a few laps at best and many ask why bother. Seems simple but the reality is if you are lined up in a qualifier say mid-pack, and can get that advantage to charge to the front that much quicker... open track in a qualifier is golden!! I would totally shoot for this myself or my driver if wrenching.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:51 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Vector03cobra
LOL @ Device,

Something I am sure thats very simple, Could it not be fixed?

I would think any treated tired would have a different feel, like wet or sticky ect ect
It's a "sniffer" that can detect certain chemicals that are commonly used in tire additives.

I don't think it's particulary simple and easy to fix.

The feel of the tire is probaly too subjective, and would most likely lead to a boatload of protests unless you let every team manager feel the tires and give their opinion...
Old 04-11-2011, 11:01 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Awesome info Fraz, and Stefan
Old 04-11-2011, 11:40 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by fraz
To the guys asking why not let everybody run sauce? It is not quite like indoor carpet racing, but the same principal. If everybody runs different sauces, they end up all mixing on the track and who knows what weird conditions they can encounter. Track could turn to junk REALLY fast. Race control's idea to spray tires with alky sounds funny but it made all kinds of sense to me when I heard about it. FTR, I have NEVER been impressed with Enetti gluing technique and they have been splitting at the seams for over a decade. I wouldn't point the finger at IFMAR for creating this problem.

We all agree that traction compound is only good for a few laps at best and many ask why bother. Seems simple but the reality is if you are lined up in a qualifier say mid-pack, and can get that advantage to charge to the front that much quicker... open track in a qualifier is golden!! I would totally shoot for this myself or my driver if wrenching.
Really? I don't particularly care if the track goes to crap, because then it's the same crappy track for everyone there. It's the Worlds for chrissake. I say you spec the cars' dimensions, and maximum displacement of the engines, then let God sort it out.

This is not a race for the spec classes, or the faint of heart.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:58 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by CypressMidWest
then let God sort it out.
What if he's not into RC and is watching golf at the time?
Old 04-12-2011, 12:12 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by fraz
Race control's idea to spray tires with alky sounds funny but it made all kinds of sense to me when I heard about it. FTR, I have NEVER been impressed with Enetti gluing technique and they have been splitting at the seams for over a decade. I wouldn't point the finger at IFMAR for creating this problem.
I agree with most everything you said except for the if Alky damages your tire construction tough crap. No one had any idea their glue would need to withstand alky being sprayed on them. I have run on enetti tires and never had a issue with them seperating. I'm not saying it doesn't happen but for me its a non-issue. Seems to me if it is in fact damaging the Enetti tire they should be working on a different solution for the question at hand and not just nerfing a tire brand at the super bowl.
Old 04-12-2011, 12:14 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by stefan
God hates golf! He told me so.
Old 04-12-2011, 12:54 AM
M7H
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by stefan

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.