R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Closed Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 05:07 AM   #1261
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via Yahoo to redsand

Quote:
Originally Posted by M7H View Post
Servo's can already handle rain, atleast the top end servo's can (I have Futaba 9402 and 9452)
I have an older car (S950R) which is completely prepared for rain races, I only in the morning of the race day have to decide if I start with that car, or not, depending on the weather predictions. Some drivers don't race in the rain, but most drivers do, it's your own choice.
So yes, my car is prepaired for rain, but also prepared for enthousiastic fuel stops!...
Spray WD40 on the bearings will make them better able to withstand water/moist and prevent them to rust.

Driving in the rain is fun, because it becomes slippery, and it really comes down to driving skills. With the tyres I just mentioned, you can actually drive surprisingly fast!
An older engine will do, (not worn out, because that's not working) Always use an INS-BOX, and cut the top of the foam filter, so it's completely open. (mind you due to the rain, there is no dust in the air!)
With TKO you can get cheap metal engine bearings, great for rain engines!....
Also you don't wear tyres in the rain, so you can do several years with rain tyres!
any clutch adjustment for racing in the rain or at least on a soaking wet track ?
Old 04-18-2011, 05:11 AM   #1262
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonie1 View Post
whats with all the fuel tank stuff ! how are they to big ,how does this happen a tanks a tank ! how do they make them over size
the tank was hot and expanded so they had to wait too cool down for 10 minutes and then it was legal.
Old 04-18-2011, 05:20 AM   #1263
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
I guess it wouldn't have made a big difference for Mike anyways.

If his clutch barely holds up for 20 minutes, then the quarter would have been his last race anyways.

I really don't understand why they would keep running those clutch shoes. There's gotta be a way to fit another shoe in there. Usually they are all pretty similar.

I hope Dankel's clutch is going to hold up longer!

A good share of drivers were having clutch problems no matter what clutch you used. I saw 30 plus clutches blow up in the first two days after 10 minutes.
Old 04-18-2011, 05:22 AM   #1264
Tech Master

[QUOTE=Lebatek;8972179]What kind of tires are those on Hara's car a few pages back? Love the black rims...where are they available in the states? (or at all?)

they were Zac's
Old 04-18-2011, 05:33 AM   #1265
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Trimmings View Post
I think it is 2 from odd, 2 from even and then the 2 fastest from the 1/2 semis
correct
Old 04-18-2011, 05:36 AM   #1266
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roelof View Post
Maybe you did not understand the rest in my post. In the semi's there was a protest about declairing rain or not and in the final there was a discussion which moment it had to stop and where Dario was finished from maybe 1st place to 3rd place.
That is the politics side of such an event which Collari mentioned he does not like. If the rules were clear to drive at all times there is no room for discussions about when to declaire rain and for sure the best driver with the best preparation had won the race.

Thanx, indeed it seems not to be clear that we drive at all times unless it will become to much (to dangerous)
I don't mind the criticism, I just think it's an unfair statement. It's one thing if the track is already wet at the start of the day. Then yes you setup the car for a wet track. If you go from nice sunny day, dry track, to rain how can you be prepared to "keep" running under that condition? You guys have certain weather conditions that basically require you to race on wet tracks often so you are always prepared. We just don't have that tradition over here. When our tracks get wet the cars won't handle, they slide all over place. We don't have grass infields to save the cars(wish we did). If we get a shower we already know that in 30 mins the track will be completely dry and it's business as usual. I don't mind your comment like I said, but kinda unfair.
Tires>>> I don't know yet
Old 04-18-2011, 05:39 AM   #1267
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodGuy30 View Post
Race was called prematurely, rain wasn't too heavy or too long, it ended about 5 minutes after the race was called.....too bad, results would have been totally different if they would have ran it out.
it was not raining hard, but the cars could not get around the track because of the rain..Dario was the first to almost take out a wall and possibly break his car coming out of the sweeper when the rain started.
Old 04-18-2011, 05:44 AM   #1268
Tech Rookie

where to find the overall result ?
thank you
Meccamo
Old 04-18-2011, 11:03 AM   #1269
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by YLLIB View Post
A good share of drivers were having clutch problems no matter what clutch you used. I saw 30 plus clutches blow up in the first two days after 10 minutes.
Billy, was there a common issue that was causing all the clutch issues?
Old 04-18-2011, 11:20 AM   #1270
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Quote:
Maybe you did not understand the rest in my post. In the semi's there was a protest about declairing rain or not and in the final there was a discussion which moment it had to stop and where Dario was finished from maybe 1st place to 3rd place.
That is the politics side of such an event which Collari mentioned he does not like. If the rules were clear to drive at all times there is no room for discussions about when to declaire rain and for sure the best driver with the best preparation had won the race.
All true Roelof, but what does ANY of that have to do with Americans? Yes the race was here but it was an IFMAR race with IFMAR officials under IFMAR rules. Read your first post again and see if you can figure out why so many people take exception to your statement.

Quote:
Maybe it is about time you Americans stop whining about not racing in some rain and drive races in the rain. Only then an IFMAR can make world wide adapted rules (like no use of tire sauce) so this race was raced until the end and did the best driver with the best preparations win.
Old 04-18-2011, 11:40 AM   #1271
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to ToysRUsKid

SWEET VIDEO!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-18-2011, 11:47 AM   #1272
rjr
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietstorm76 View Post
I don't mind the criticism, I just think it's an unfair statement. It's one thing if the track is already wet at the start of the day. Then yes you setup the car for a wet track. If you go from nice sunny day, dry track, to rain how can you be prepared to "keep" running under that condition? You guys have certain weather conditions that basically require you to race on wet tracks often so you are always prepared. We just don't have that tradition over here. When our tracks get wet the cars won't handle, they slide all over place. We don't have grass infields to save the cars(wish we did). If we get a shower we already know that in 30 mins the track will be completely dry and it's business as usual. I don't mind your comment like I said, but kinda unfair.

Good and accurate post.
Old 04-18-2011, 12:22 PM   #1273
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to stefan

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsand View Post
any clutch adjustment for racing in the rain or at least on a soaking wet track ?
The softest spring you got with the heaviest fly weights and a low grip clutch shoe like the blue Capricorn for example.
Old 04-18-2011, 12:24 PM   #1274
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

LOL, you guys are on your own with racing in the rain... The weather in Cali for most race days are good... Missing a few races due to rain isn't that big of a deal...
Old 04-18-2011, 12:32 PM   #1275
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to stefan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodGuy30 View Post
Race was called prematurely, rain wasn't too heavy or too long, it ended about 5 minutes after the race was called.....too bad, results would have been totally different if they would have ran it out.
So, how do you think it would have ended if they hadn't called the race?

None of the drivers had rain tires in the pits because they know under Ifmar rules the race would be stopped.

Do you think one of the drivers in the main would have found the pace to suddenly pass eveybody and win?

Do you think of all people, Pietsch wouldn't have been able to slide around the track at least as fast as anybody there?

If anything, it would have ended based on good / bad luck, because somebody's electronics got wet or something like that.

So, do really wish they would have continued?
Closed Thread