R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Closed Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 09:40 PM   #1246
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Slo-MTX4

That would be awesome...Can anyone that was there confirm this?

PODIFIED ENGINES/Trackside RC
Old 04-17-2011, 09:53 PM   #1247
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to ToysRUsKid

Quote:
Originally Posted by epowr_Racing View Post
well we do race in the rain at our events, we use special made tires,that is of a soft shore coated with a lay of rubber , with two centered grove, Rb speedline,ATS,has them they go for around 90 to 100 a set

http://www.redrc.net/2009/04/ats-wet-rain-tires/
interesting. Thanks for answering.
Old 04-17-2011, 10:02 PM   #1248
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slo-MTX4 View Post
That would be awesome...Can anyone that was there confirm this?
Yes, the next 1/8 on road Worlds will definitely be in Japan!
also the next nitro sedan worlds will be in Thailand!
Old 04-17-2011, 10:29 PM   #1249
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roelof View Post
Maybe it is about time you Americans stop whining about not racing in some rain and drive races in the rain. Only then an IFMAR can make world wide adapted rules (like no use of tire sauce) so this race was raced until the end and did the best driver with the best preparations win.
Roelof.. It's never that simple.. As there's drizzle and rain, then there is the Sub-tropical deluge which can last for 5 minutes and you'd be racing in 30 minutes again This can be seen in terms of volume in previous posts and the swimming pool and how the track was ready byt the next morning.

If I were in the sub tropics and large drops started to fall I would have to say it's stop the race as its very likely it will be an instant flood and puddles. In Brisbane use condoms or balloons around our electronics as it can be drenched by the time you get back to pit lane. So we can't even purchase wet weather tyres like you can in EU.

It's unfair to blame IFMAR, or US officials and drivers as the problem with rain varies depending on the country you are in and the climate.
Old 04-17-2011, 11:18 PM   #1250
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Not to mention many of the times I have seen a sudden rain shower come through at a race, it has been accompanied by lightning. The last place I want to be in a thunderstorm is standing way up in a metal stand with a metal stick in my hand.
Old 04-18-2011, 01:25 AM   #1251
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by epowr_Racing View Post
Oh it was sliding just a few drops and you could have seen the hesitation from some of the drivers in the turns,they where still trying to keep up their pace but to my opinion the race director did the right thing to stop the race.
I agreee with your saying.

I know how terrible to drive rc car when the rain is drizzling. Luckily our race director usually stop the race when the track become undriveable for rc cars. I myself wants to continue (personal preference) ..... but our race director must make decision when he sees cars are struggling to make corners. Very dangerous conditions to cars and marshalls he said.

Is there rc track in st. marteens ? Nice living there
Old 04-18-2011, 02:29 AM   #1252
M7H
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by blis View Post
Roelof.. It's never that simple..
Finally the first normal reaction on Roelofs statement, Yes, maybe he was wrong with what he said, but a lot of you guys should first try to count to 10 before you hit the keyboard....

Rain in Europe normally isn't a flood like it was in Miami (although if you see this picture from the Euro's at the MACH track in 2006, which was won by Dario Balestri actually)

But a wet track in our case doesn't dry very fast most of the time, so because rain is something regular over here, we race in it.
With a damp track, very low shore tires (20 shore or so)
With a lot of water, kisslings work best.
Old 04-18-2011, 02:49 AM   #1253
Tech Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Roelof

Quote:
Originally Posted by WARDO View Post
Last time I looked, there was only one American in the race. And as he was not racing, at the time it started raining, I doubt he was whining.
I believe it was IFMAR that stopped the race, and I don't think they're it is NOT considered American.
Quote:
Originally Posted by latemodel13 View Post
I just lost respect for Roelof. I guess he doesn't like America.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyBlazin View Post
WOW roe, ur a prick huh? didnt know...and i went to bat for that guy several times... never again!
Quote:
Originally Posted by blis View Post
Roelof.. It's never that simple.. As there's drizzle and rain, then there is the Sub-tropical deluge which can last for 5 minutes and you'd be racing in 30 minutes again This can be seen in terms of volume in previous posts and the swimming pool and how the track was ready byt the next morning.

If I were in the sub tropics and large drops started to fall I would have to say it's stop the race as its very likely it will be an instant flood and puddles. In Brisbane use condoms or balloons around our electronics as it can be drenched by the time you get back to pit lane. So we can't even purchase wet weather tyres like you can in EU.

It's unfair to blame IFMAR, or US officials and drivers as the problem with rain varies depending on the country you are in and the climate.
Maybe you did not understand the rest in my post. In the semi's there was a protest about declairing rain or not and in the final there was a discussion which moment it had to stop and where Dario was finished from maybe 1st place to 3rd place.
That is the politics side of such an event which Collari mentioned he does not like. If the rules were clear to drive at all times there is no room for discussions about when to declaire rain and for sure the best driver with the best preparation had won the race.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M7H View Post
Finally the first normal reaction on Roelofs statement, Yes, maybe he was wrong with what he said, but a lot of you guys should first try to count to 10 before you hit the keyboard....
Thanx, indeed it seems not to be clear that we drive at all times unless it will become to much (to dangerous)
Old 04-18-2011, 03:01 AM   #1254
Tech Champion

Quote:

Rain in Europe normally isn't a flood like it was in Miami (although if you see this picture from the Euro's at the MACH track in 2006, which was won by Dario Balestri actually)

But a wet track in our case doesn't dry very fast most of the time, so because rain is something regular over here, we race in it.
With a damp track, very low shore tires (20 shore or so)
With a lot of water, kisslings work best.
So your radio receiver and servos are always in waterproof conditions ? Or do you have to stop and reseal everything first ?

How does it feel racing in complete wet ?
Old 04-18-2011, 03:21 AM   #1255
M7H
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by asw7576 View Post
So your radio receiver and servos are always in waterproof conditions ? Or do you have to stop and reseal everything first ?

How does it feel racing in complete wet ?
Servo's can already handle rain, atleast the top end servo's can (I have Futaba 9402 and 9452)
I have an older car (S950R) which is completely prepared for rain races, I only in the morning of the race day have to decide if I start with that car, or not, depending on the weather predictions. Some drivers don't race in the rain, but most drivers do, it's your own choice.
So yes, my car is prepaired for rain, but also prepared for enthousiastic fuel stops!...
Spray WD40 on the bearings will make them better able to withstand water/moist and prevent them to rust.

Driving in the rain is fun, because it becomes slippery, and it really comes down to driving skills. With the tyres I just mentioned, you can actually drive surprisingly fast!
An older engine will do, (not worn out, because that's not working) Always use an INS-BOX, and cut the top of the foam filter, so it's completely open. (mind you due to the rain, there is no dust in the air!)
With TKO you can get cheap metal engine bearings, great for rain engines!....
Also you don't wear tyres in the rain, so you can do several years with rain tyres!
Old 04-18-2011, 03:31 AM   #1256
Tech Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Roelof

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_ZSr4FFvOM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70PNYMyD73I
Old 04-18-2011, 04:02 AM   #1257
Tech Regular

And here an international GP in the pooring rain! (filmed @ Roelofs hometrack)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMq3E...eature=related

But as M7H said: count to ten before posting, if you can't handle any critism!
Old 04-18-2011, 04:46 AM   #1258
Tech Master

Default Thank you!

Homestead RC Raceway would like to thank everyone who helped make the 2011 IFMAR 1/8 IC Track World Championship a success. We were blessed to have the best racers, mechanics, officials and staff at this most prestigious event. The racing and pit action was fantastic in all the Qualifiers and Finals.

We hope everyone will have a safe journey home and that you will have fond memories of this event to last you a lifetime.

Our staff and track crew are exhausted right now, but it was well worth it, a few nights of good sleep and we will be ready to get back to work.

Again, we wish to thank everyone who made the 2011 IFMAR 1/8 IC Track World Championship a great success for everyone involved.

Best regards,
Homestead RC Raceway
Old 04-18-2011, 04:57 AM   #1259
Tech Champion

Quote:
Servo's can already handle rain, atleast the top end servo's can (I have Futaba 9402 and 9452)
I have an older car (S950R) which is completely prepared for rain races, I only in the morning of the race day have to decide if I start with that car, or not, depending on the weather predictions. Some drivers don't race in the rain, but most drivers do, it's your own choice.
So yes, my car is prepaired for rain, but also prepared for enthousiastic fuel stops!...
Spray WD40 on the bearings will make them better able to withstand water/moist and prevent them to rust.

Driving in the rain is fun, because it becomes slippery, and it really comes down to driving skills. With the tyres I just mentioned, you can actually drive surprisingly fast!
An older engine will do, (not worn out, because that's not working) Always use an INS-BOX, and cut the top of the foam filter, so it's completely open. (mind you due to the rain, there is no dust in the air!)
With TKO you can get cheap metal engine bearings, great for rain engines!....
Also you don't wear tyres in the rain, so you can do several years with rain tyres!
Wow.... I myself is not scared driving in rain .... i'm enthusiatic to drive under wet conditions.

Thanks for the rain preparation tips..... I'll remember that.
Old 04-18-2011, 05:03 AM   #1260
M7H
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by asw7576 View Post
Wow.... I myself is not scared driving in rain .... i'm enthusiatic to drive under wet conditions.

Thanks for the rain preparation tips..... I'll remember that.
I forgot 1 tip, cut the bottom of a small plastic drink bottle,

and put it upside down on top of the INS-BOX.