Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help with Car Selection....

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2004, 09:51 AM
Tech Addict

Default Help with Car Selection....

I have narrowed it down to 2 cars...The 710 and the R40. I will most likelt be getting one in the up comming week. I know that both of the cars are good. I am on a limted budget and I was wondering which car will cost less in the lomg run with hop-up parts, How the plastic is on the cars (I am not the worst driver, but not the best). and is there anything else that I should know about either car that may help in my decision.
Thanks
John
Old 05-19-2004, 09:56 AM
Tech Addict

Oh Ya... Whats a good price for the kit?
Thanks
John
Old 05-19-2004, 09:57 AM
Tech Master

Default Re: Help with Car Selection....

If it comes down to 710 and R40. I personally would pick the 710. I have owed both HPI and Serpent before, and I have to admit that HPI is great in terms of part supports; you can find it very easily. On the other hand, Serpent simply just builts a racing car.

pick what you most desire, and go for it. Nitro R/C is surely a fun hobby!

best of luck,

fish

Originally posted by jhigga15
I have narrowed it down to 2 cars...The 710 and the R40. I will most likelt be getting one in the up comming week. I know that both of the cars are good. I am on a limted budget and I was wondering which car will cost less in the lomg run with hop-up parts, How the plastic is on the cars (I am not the worst driver, but not the best). and is there anything else that I should know about either car that may help in my decision.
Thanks
John
Old 05-19-2004, 12:28 PM
Tech Regular

i agree, the 710 is a better car b/c it is built for racing. If you have a strict budget, the r40 is a very capable car and although there aren't as many hop ups included in the kit, you will save a fair amount of money
Just go with your instinct, and good luck
Old 05-19-2004, 01:00 PM
Tech Rookie

What car has easy access for spares for you, what is the popular car at your track, there is not much point in getting a car that you will have difficulty getting spares or help with,

if both cars have good back up for you then i would go serpent
Old 05-19-2004, 01:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

If part support is not an issue for you, 710 will be a good choice. <br>
R40 have several problem with it although they are not really important:<br>
1 the car is so heavy<br>
2 clean up or fixing the car almost need to take the whole car apart<br>
3 too many upgrades to do unless you buy the 04 spec version, 710 is nearly no need of any option part.<br>
4 cheap at first but later.......<br><br>

710 also has its own problem:<br>
1 delicate, better not crash<br>
2 part support, most LHS do not have part in stock <br>
3 less fun with not much to upgrade<br>
4 need special Rx battery for serpent car
5 more like one time investment<br>
Old 05-19-2004, 01:09 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by Car Breaker
2 clean up or fixing the car almost need to take the whole car apart<br>
Not really. Everything is accessable without really taking out a lot of stuff. For example the F/R diffs. The front diff has a cover which there are only 4-6 screws to take out. Same with the rear.

The only hard thing to take out is the engine because of the chassis brace. But it's not like you're going to take out the engine everyday. Probably after every race day. But you're going to have to take the car apart to maintain it anyways.
Old 05-19-2004, 01:56 PM
Suspended

I wouldn't get neither R40 is a very heavy car with alot of hop ups you will need to buy in order for it to be competitive on the other hand the s710 needs no hop ups but is very fragile breaks very easily unless you buy stronger hop ups either way both of them will cost alot in the long run I would recomend you wait for the mtx-3 prospec or kyosho's new snake eater V one RRR the FW05R looks very good right now also so good im considering purchasing it
Old 05-19-2004, 02:22 PM
Tech Regular

Default Re: Help with Car Selection....

Originally posted by jhigga15
Thanks
John
Have you considered the Team Magic G4? Drives very well out of the box and you can get it for under $260 in the $US. The more serious model (G4 Evo), you can get it for $300 .

http://www.rcnutshobbies.com/kits.htm

I haven't driven a Serpent 710, but the G4 is pretty tough. Most G4 drivers do not break many parts on the track.
Old 05-19-2004, 02:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default Re: Re: Help with Car Selection....

Originally posted by Aggdaddy
Have you considered the Team Magic G4? Drives very well out of the box and you can get it for under $260 in the $US. The more serious model (G4 Evo), you can get it for $300 .

http://www.rcnutshobbies.com/kits.htm

I haven't driven a Serpent 710, but the G4 is pretty tough. Most G4 drivers do not break many parts on the track.
I have a G4 myself too
the problem with G4 :
1 part support sucks, worse than 710, at least for me
2 servo space is too tight for most of the servo, Futaba s9550 work well
3 stock chassis sucks, have to buy the upgrade one

other than that g4 is a perfact car, get the evo version, save a lot of money cuz KFactory part is very expansive
for upgrade part, go for 3raing.
Old 05-19-2004, 03:23 PM
Tech Regular

I too have a g4. When i was looking at what car to get back in november, i had the same requirements as you, and picked the G4. It is argueably the best car out there, it's just not as well known. I have driven mine stock for a while now, and have not had any problems, and am on a budget like you and the g4 is a great fit for me.

rcnutshobbies.com is a great place to get the g4, great service and prices.

Lastly, every car has its flaws, so its up to you to figure out the best IYO

If you're looking at another car besides the r40 and 710, i would reccommend the g4, come check out the thread and see what its all about. In europe and places overseas, g4s are dominating many classes right now.
Hope i didn't bore you with my 100$
Later
Old 05-19-2004, 03:38 PM
Tech Addict

I just got a 710...Thanks, I could not wait any longer
Old 05-19-2004, 03:49 PM
Tech Regular

Default Re: Re: Re: Help with Car Selection....

Originally posted by Car Breaker
I have a G4 myself too
the problem with G4 :
1 part support sucks, worse than 710, at least for me
2 servo space is too tight for most of the servo, Futaba s9550 work well
3 stock chassis sucks, have to buy the upgrade one

other than that g4 is a perfact car, get the evo version, save a lot of money cuz KFactory part is very expansive
for upgrade part, go for 3raing.
You should be able to get a part for the G4 within two weeks or less from one of these three suppliers.

1. http://www.rcnutshobbies.com
2. http://shop.the-border.nl/customer/home.php
3. http://shopping.rcmodel.com.hk/

But, with any race car these days, you should have spares and backups for your cars anyway

This is the same for 710, R40, MTX-3 (this car seems to have the most local support) Schumacher R12, Yokomo GT-4 and the deadly G4

Old 05-19-2004, 03:57 PM
Tech Regular

Where in Miami are you racing at Jhigga?
Old 05-19-2004, 04:07 PM
Tech Addict

when I get my car ready I will start racing at the Royal Palm Raceway...as for now I just drift my friends rs4 around the street.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.