R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 05-18-2004, 11:47 AM   #1
Tech Rookie

Send a message via AIM to nitrotec
Default NEW Mugen MTX-3 PROSPEC!! worth the money to get???

is the mugen mtx-3 prospec kit worth the money to get?.....or is it better to get a hopup mtx on ebay? i currently running a ntc3 and wanted to upgrade to a better touring car.
nitrotec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 12:19 PM   #2
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Send a message via ICQ to Ah10 Send a message via AIM to Ah10 Send a message via Yahoo to Ah10
Default Re: NEW Mugen MTX-3 PROSPEC!! worth the money to get???

Quote:
Originally posted by nitrotec
is the mugen mtx-3 prospec kit worth the money to get?.....or is it better to get a hopup mtx on ebay? i currently running a ntc3 and wanted to upgrade to a better touring car.
Worth the money! especially when you look at the hop up comes with the kit, you will eventually get 90% of the hop ups from the prospec anyway.
Ah10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 10:13 PM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

i bought the regular mtx only because of the budget i was on, he's right if you have the money you're gonna get the hop ups any way.

prospec

if you race or want to at least have a reliable car your gonna get the cvd drive shafts anyway, they go for $30-$40 just fot the fronts, the prospec comes with front and rear, thats the $100 difference right there,plus all the gears, springs, new chassis, titanium parts you will get!!
gentleman81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2004, 09:41 PM   #4
Tech Adept
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Man I saw this kit and it is more than worth it.

You get all the lighten pivot balls. An $89.99 worth and I think 95% of the hop ups. What more could you ask for a carry bag. Oh you get that also.
Smart Buy.

www.twistertires.com
561-929-7666
racinghobbies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2004, 12:04 AM   #5
Suspended

definately this car is worth the extra $$$
hudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2004, 02:58 AM   #6
Tech Addict

Default --

Hi Guys,

I am in the same situation... But I was comparing the Serpent 710 with MTX 3 Prospec.. I went to the local shop and the person at the counter mentioned that he'd choose the Serpent 710 over the Prospec.. Since the MTX 3 is a 3 year old car.. Thought deciding on this single toy for a big boy would be easy.. Hahhahahaa... Now I'm left with simply trying to weigh things out.. Gas cars do cost a lot... but I'm lookin into the possibility of eletric touring.. Which do you think cost more to set up and maintain Gas cars or Electric? Prospec or Serpent 710? The guy at the shop was offerring me a good deal for the serpent...

Any feedback on this would be appreciated..

Thanks
Titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2004, 03:01 AM   #7
B
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default Re: --

Quote:
Originally posted by Titan
Hi Guys,

I am in the same situation... But I was comparing the Serpent 710 with MTX 3 Prospec.. I went to the local shop and the person at the counter mentioned that he'd choose the Serpent 710 over the Prospec.. Since the MTX 3 is a 3 year old car.. Thought deciding on this single toy for a big boy would be easy.. Hahhahahaa... Now I'm left with simply trying to weigh things out.. Gas cars do cost a lot... but I'm lookin into the possibility of eletric touring.. Which do you think cost more to set up and maintain Gas cars or Electric? Prospec or Serpent 710? The guy at the shop was offerring me a good deal for the serpent...

Thanks
If you want to be competitive, electric costs more than gas.
B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2004, 03:13 AM   #8
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: --

Quote:
Originally posted by B
If you want to be competitive, electric costs more than gas.
Agreed, I used to drive electric 16 years ago and stopped when I realised the costs were mounting just to stay competitive locally.
Old 05-23-2004, 12:23 PM   #9
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to Profoxcg

I bought a prospec and sold my 710.
I think the designs of the MTX3 is a little better. I looks more like an 1/8th than the serpent and drives great out of the box.

Things i dislike about my 710:

Poor centax response.
Fragile car (breaks easily)
Needs alot of setup to get it working right

Things i like about the MTX3

Responsive centax
Strong chassis
Great handling out of the box
Parts are cheaper then serpent
Comparable quality
Stock gear diff !
Many lightweight an Ti. upgrades to Improve cars strenght.

at the end, I guess both cars are great, I just found the MTX3 to work better for me.
Profoxcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2004, 12:28 PM   #10
Tech Regular

Quote:
Hi Guys,

Thanks
I think the reason he offering you a good deal for the Serpent is because so he then can get a MTX-3.
Ducati998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2004, 08:10 PM   #11
Tech Addict

Default --

Hmmm... This is making things hard... I'm really having a hard time deciding... It's like choosing a Nissan Skyline Spec-V (Mugen Propsec) over a Mercedes SLR (Serpent). I know both cars are competitive... It's just that Prospec does have a lot stuff and tintanium to offer, plus cheaper parts, but for 3 year old car? The person also mentioned that he is waiting for the MTX 4 to come out. The Serpent 710 (released this year) is also great, it gives you more refinement which has greater adjustability, but I hope it doesn't become a great hassle to set up.

Both are ballancing out in some aspect...

This is hard decision making... Don't want to waste money.

I hope I get my Helios soon.. So far this is the only component I didn't have a hard time choosing.
Titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2004, 08:25 PM   #12
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to Profoxcg

when will the mtx 4 come out?
Profoxcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2004, 08:35 PM   #13
B
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Hmmm... This is making things hard... I'm really having a hard time deciding... It's like choosing a Nissan Skyline Spec-V (Mugen Propsec) over a Mercedes SLR (Serpent). I know both cars are competitive... It's just that Prospec does have a lot stuff and tintanium to offer, plus cheaper parts, but for 3 year old car? The person also mentioned that he is waiting for the MTX 4 to come out. The Serpent 710 (released this year) is also great, it gives you more refinement which has greater adjustability, but I hope it doesn't become a great hassle to set up.

I hope I get my Helios soon.. So far this is the only component I didn't have a hard time choosing.
the mtx-4 shouldnt come out anytime soon, you will get decent track time with the mtx-3.

Not to mention, serpent update their cars more frequent than mugen. Some people like it, some don't. So maybe when the mtx-4 comes out, you will have to get your 710 updated as well.
B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2004, 08:50 PM   #14
Tech Regular

Quote:

The lastest will not alway be the greatest. Yes, the Mtx-3 might be a older car then the 710 but I know many other peoples for sure will still take the Mtx-3 over it in this forum. Pretty soon Serpent will release a newer version of the 710. If everybody buy the 710 because is newer then who is going to buy the Mtx-3? But to me any car can win, it mostly depend on the driver and the car set-up. If you have a crappy driver with a 710 that worth about $1000 and a good driver with a $500 Mtx-3 still can beat the 710. Mugen could of updated the Mtx-3 with the Prospec coming out but instead they kept the same spec and just included better parts for the Mtx-3, that probably tell you something that there car is good enough that does not need update for right now. Since the Prospec just came out I can guranteed it will still take a while for them to release the Mtx-4. Also I don't think that guys in here that bought the Prospec or the 710 wasted there money because I'm pretty sure is worth every cents. Soon there will be a better and newer radio then the Helios, what are you going to do with your Helios then? Anyway just pick a car and go with it.

Last edited by Ducati998; 05-23-2004 at 09:06 PM.
Ducati998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2004, 09:32 PM   #15
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

In the process of Building my prospec this last w/e and once again mugen does excellent work on making everything fit together right and snug.Only dis-appointment if you call it that is the rear bar is black and not chrome Well worth my money to run on a big track"
rcmike is offline   Reply With Quote