R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 06-02-2010, 09:31 AM   #1
Tech Initiate

Questions?? Nitro RS4 any good?

I'm thinking of getting a HPI Nitro RS4 touring car. probably gonna get it used. Are these any good? How fast are they? Are they worth it?

thanks
Old 06-02-2010, 09:45 AM   #2
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

It fine if you plan on running in a parking lot or things of that sort! If your plan on racing or competing, you will want to look for a competion proven chassis!
Dreddlox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 10:22 AM   #3
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Good car but it's very old. I had one in 2001. Are you planning on bashing? Or racing?
immrwright7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 10:27 AM   #4
Tech Addict

Missed that part! Be sure to get an RS4-3 if you are going to get one!
Dreddlox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 11:25 AM   #5
Tech Initiate

Sorry, I meant RS4-3. I'm definitely going to want to race, but mostly I'll just be driving around on the pavement.
Old 06-02-2010, 12:57 PM   #6
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

If you are looking to bash an rs43 its perfect but there are much better cars you can purchase to race.
immrwright7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 03:51 PM   #7
Tech Initiate

^alright...but what car is good for racing?
Old 06-02-2010, 04:04 PM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

Right now, it looks like the Xray NT1, Serpent 733 and the Kyosho V-One-RRR are the best race cars out there, but the "best" race car is always one of those topics up for dispute...

One thing's for sure if you want a race-caliber chassis - be prepared to spend a LOT more money, both on building the car and maintaining an inventory of parts to keep it running. If you're new to nitro, buy the RS4 3, and learn the basics - then take the plunge and buy a "real" racer after you've mastered the ins-and-outs of living with a nitro car...
Old 06-02-2010, 04:33 PM   #9
Tech Initiate

Default whats good the mtx4r

i guess everyone for got about the mtx4r it good car right up with the serpents 733s , xray nt1 and k-v1 rrr the mtx4r better bang for the dollar right out of the box.
tman45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 06:22 PM   #10
Tech Initiate

Thanks guys, but my parents would NEVER let me spend that much money. You said that you'd need a racing chassis. Could I just upgrade the chassis on the rs4-3??
Old 06-02-2010, 06:50 PM   #11
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidib View Post
Thanks guys, but my parents would NEVER let me spend that much money. You said that you'd need a racing chassis. Could I just upgrade the chassis on the rs4-3??
Let me put it to you like this David. The RS4-3 Evo is perfect for beginners, Which I assume you are, or else you wouldn't be here asking us.

It is a solid ready-to-run car with a ton of upgrades available and almost every hobby shop sells them. So you never have to go or look far for parts.

Now when it comes to racing there is basically two types:

casual/for fun - This covers everything from drag racing down the neighborhood streets with friends to running courses set up in local parkinglots. Which your car is well suited for straight out the box.

Next

Serious/competitive
- These could be races held at hobbyshop or club that has their own permenant prepared track. You be racing against guys that hae been doing this for years and depending on what race and where, you coul find yourself at the same track as some of the world and national champions.

The cars run here are fast and ver sofisticed. All the upgrades available would not make your HPI competitive with the other cars usually found at thse race. Sure if you were a great driver you could compete and compensate for the car but again, if that were true you wouldn't be here asking us this question.

This car is all about the thrill and fun of entering the nitro rc scene(the headaches too).

Once you get past that, then you can deal with setup and maintenance of the more expensive cars and the sharping of your driving skills.

Take oeoeoe327 advice. I agree with him 100%

Last edited by Kyo83; 06-18-2017 at 12:25 AM.
Kyo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 05:54 AM   #12
Tech Initiate

Thanks...yes I am a beginner. I'll probably just go with it and get it used. Later I'll get a racer. thx
Old 06-03-2010, 09:19 AM   #13
Tech Master

Lightbulb 1st, Tap into your local scene........

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidib View Post
All of the advice offered to you thus far is very solid, However, I would add that, If you intend to buy a used car anyway, then some time spent "Window Shopping" and or befriending some of your local, experienced, (Fast Guys) Racers, could "Cut to the Chase" so to speak. This could not only save you money, but could shorten the time/learning curve that "Getting Up to Speed" demands. One of your local Racers likely has your "Future Ride" already Dialed and waiting for you to "Pull the Trigger"!
Your local community of experienced Racers should/will likely prove to be a valuable resource that, on your part, $hould not be overlooked!

My .02

"Every Cemetery in Chicago Votes Democrat!"
el salvador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 10:03 AM   #14
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by el salvador View Post
All of the advice offered to you thus far is very solid, However, I would add that, If you intend to buy a used car anyway, then some time spent "Window Shopping" and or befriending some of your local, experienced, (Fast Guys) Racers, could "Cut to the Chase" so to speak. This could not only save you money, but could shorten the time/learning curve that "Getting Up to Speed" demands. One of your local Racers likely has your "Future Ride" already Dialed and waiting for you to "Pull the Trigger"!
Your local community of experienced Racers should/will likely prove to be a valuable resource that, on your part, $hould not be overlooked!

My .02
+1 - the greatest source of solid, firsthand information can be found at the local race track. If there's a local track nearby, attend a race and talk to some of the racers. Most likely, they'll steer you in the right direction.