Wiki Posts
Search

MRX4 Rubber Tires

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 07:52 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default MRX4 Rubber Tires

Is it possible to get rubber street tires for the Mugen MRX4? I'd like to demonstrate / test it on a parking lot that doesn't have very good traction with foam tires. The car slides around like its on ice.

Is this normal with foam tires on average/rough asphalt?
Old 05-09-2010, 09:23 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Don't know about rubber tires, but, I have burned through two rear belts and pulleys in two 5 minute sessions on a parking lot. Tiny pebbles get caught in the rear and all of the sudden it is a front wheel drive car....
Old 05-09-2010, 11:40 PM
Tech Lord

With the Edam 1/8 RTR car comes a rubber tire but sadly enough on the Serpent (OS1) rims., maybe you can loosen them and glue them on a Mugen rim.

Or try to contact Edam to see if you can get a set without rims.
Old 05-10-2010, 11:58 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

try capping old foams with bike inner tubes
Old 05-10-2010, 12:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Roelof
With the Edam 1/8 RTR car comes a rubber tire but sadly enough on the Serpent (OS1) rims., maybe you can loosen them and glue them on a Mugen rim.

Or try to contact Edam to see if you can get a set without rims.
Edam has rubber tires? Interesting.............................
Old 05-10-2010, 01:38 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Zootcapri
Don't know about rubber tires, but, I have burned through two rear belts and pulleys in two 5 minute sessions on a parking lot. Tiny pebbles get caught in the rear and all of the sudden it is a front wheel drive car....
Really? You can quickly destroy the belt by simply getting some sand in it?
Old 05-10-2010, 02:01 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Wanabrc
Edam has rubber tires? Interesting.............................
http://www.rcmodscars.co.uk/x830100-...kg-p-3065.html

http://www.rcmodscars.co.uk/x830110-...kg-p-3066.html
Old 05-10-2010, 03:13 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tetris
Pebbles... fine sand can't be the best on the drive assembly, but I can only verify pebbles will get in places where they chew up belts.
Old 05-10-2010, 03:17 PM
Tech Fanatic

not likely, just make sure the lot is swept of small stones and pebbles.
Old 05-10-2010, 03:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Would you happen to know the longevity of these tires? Maybe a spec class can be started based on these tires and some lowered priced motors?
Old 05-10-2010, 04:51 PM
Tech Regular

Serpent use to make rubber tires for the F1 car they released a few years back, but if I remember correctly they did not do work very well. These kind of cars really need a prepped race track (asphalt not concrete) and foam tires.
Old 05-10-2010, 09:48 PM
Tech Apprentice

I think what I will do to overcome this pebble problem with the belt drive system is to cut out a sheet of 1/16 inch aluminium sheet metal that is the exact shape of the MRX4 body. Then I will screw it onto the bottom of the chassis so that it perfectly seals with the bottom of the lexan body, except for wheel and flywheel cutouts.

In addition, it will cover up the huge holes in the bottom front and rear of the chasis where the belts are exposed. In this way, the car will be completely sealed from dirt or pebbels.

Because, as I see it, these pebbels must be getting sucked up from the exposed portion of the belts in the front and rear chassis cutouts. And the large belt is completely exposed. So a nice aluminum plate that seals everything up should help.

I will make this plate tomorrow and post pictures. The effect on performance should be a non-issue for parking lot practice.
Attached Thumbnails MRX4 Rubber Tires-mrx4%2520213.jpg  
Old 05-11-2010, 09:44 AM
Tech Fanatic

I think what I will do to overcome this pebble problem with the belt drive system is to cut out a sheet of 1/16 inch aluminium sheet metal that is the exact shape of the MRX4 body. Then I will screw it onto the bottom of the chassis so that it perfectly seals with the bottom of the lexan body, except for wheel and flywheel cutouts.

In addition, it will cover up the huge holes in the bottom front and rear of the chasis where the belts are exposed. In this way, the car will be completely sealed from dirt or pebbels.

Because, as I see it, these pebbels must be getting sucked up from the exposed portion of the belts in the front and rear chassis cutouts. And the large belt is completely exposed. So a nice aluminum plate that seals everything up should help.

I will make this plate tomorrow and post pictures. The effect on performance should be a non-issue for parking lot practice.
dude just sweep all the pebbles away, people have been racing belt drive cars in parking lots for years without fabricating belt shrouds, shields etc.
Old 05-11-2010, 09:52 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wanabrc
Would you happen to know the longevity of these tires? Maybe a spec class can be started based on these tires and some lowered priced motors?
You are on to something there. Maybe use these rubber tires and have a 3-port engine limit (3 ports + 1 exhaust port). If they still made touring car bodies for the Lola cars, it would be perfect. But, yea, I can see something like this (Spec Lola) if those tires are any good and can hold up for more than a run or two.
Old 05-11-2010, 05:49 PM
Tech Apprentice

Well, I manufactured a under-carriage from aluminum sheet metal today. Took all day, but I finally got it done. It fits the shape of the chassis perfectly, and folds around the main/long belt and also around the spurs/pinions/flywheel section, behind the receiver. I milled a cutout for the flywheel for starting. It screws into the bottom of the chassis in 5 places to keep it held securely.

I will test it out tomorrow and see if it actual helps.

Also, what about just coating foam tires with this instant rubber in a can stuff? It might work OK for a run, and then you can cheaply redo it.

http://www.plastidip.com/home_solutions/Super_Grip
http://www.plastidip.com/home_soluti...cal_Insulation
http://www.plastidip.com/home_solutions/Plasti_Dip

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.