R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 05-25-2010, 09:54 AM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default Need help on identifying this guys...

Got a brand new on-road car on a trade. The guy did not know what it is and I need help identifying it. What model, maker, year it is? If guys can check out the pics on my album, I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

btw... I traded my used cen matrix buggy for this which was fairly new. Was it a good trade?

i'm sorry you have to copy and paste but I'm new here and I can't post url yet thanks guys

here is the album:

s301.photobucket.com/albums/nn62/cindy_chito/onroad/?albumview=slideshow
a1c4life_yeah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 11:58 AM   #2
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

MMM looks like a Serpent no?
Xray NT1 '08 /'09 EC LRP12R / Serpent 720 '08 RB Concept V12, R3 RB mods, V12 Rody, Matrix RW / Serpent 733, 733TE RB T9 / EA RC8T OS .21 Vspec speed tuned / Kyosho Inferno GT, GT2 / EA SC10 / Serpent Cobra GT coming soon!
Gonzo RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 12:18 PM   #3
Tech Rookie

at first I thought it looked like an older evolva. But I do not see any kyoso label or marking on the car. are parts interchangable between different manufacturers?
Old 05-25-2010, 12:52 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

That's a Power Racing XR80

http://www.powerracingrc.com/xr80.shtml
Tires>>> I don't know yet
quietstorm76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 02:21 PM   #5
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1c4life_yeah View Post
at first I thought it looked like an older evolva. But I do not see any kyoso label or marking on the car. are parts interchangable between different manufacturers?
Some wheel combinations are possible between different manufacturers (eg Mugen/Kyosho) IMO its getting harder to find interchangeable parts between Serpent/Kyosho/shepherd as they developed different way of suspension geometry for their 1/8 cars.

For a small tip, I found out that you can use the front belt of a serpent 966 in replacement for a Shepherd velox v8. Their 'orange' belts are less prone to stripping than the softer stock Shepherd belts. Nuthing wrong with either but its good to know I can stock up one component for two cars!
BigBellyCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 08:05 PM   #6
Tech Rookie

So it looks like it is XR-80 by power racing. Thanks "quietstorm" for the info. so only some parts are interchangable with this types of car? I've been doing some research and it looks like it is really hard to find parts for this XR-80. In fact I have not even found a place yet where I can find parts. Does anybody know where I can get some parts? where do 1/8 scale onroaders shop?

thanks everybody
Old 05-25-2010, 09:41 PM   #7
Tech Regular

This is a XR80. They become Edam razor. You can use Edam parts as most parts are interchangable. For the wheels it use serpent os1 rims. But you can change to Mugan upright and quick change wheel axia to use normal os2 (mugan, kyosho) rims.
Old 05-26-2010, 07:56 AM   #8
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpm-parts.com View Post
This is a XR80. They become Edam razor. You can use Edam parts as most parts are interchangable. For the wheels it use serpent os1 rims. But you can change to Mugan upright and quick change wheel axia to use normal os2 (mugan, kyosho) rims.
Thanks, now i see some Edam Razor parts are still available. I want to stock up on some parts but which parts should I stock up on?

I will be running it against Inferno GT2's in a parking lot, circuit type course. It is not a race, it is just for good fun. I've just ordered some serpent tires on ebay. Now I just want to know which spare parts I need for normal use (which might include a little bit of bumper to bumper contact during race). So far, I am thinkig of stocking up on some suspension arms and drive belts. What else should I get?

any upgrades I need to do to this car?
Old 05-27-2010, 10:30 AM   #9
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 83 (100%+)

Quote:
Thanks, now i see some Edam Razor parts are still available. I want to stock up on some parts but which parts should I stock up on?

I will be running it against Inferno GT2's in a parking lot, circuit type course. It is not a race, it is just for good fun. I've just ordered some serpent tires on ebay. Now I just want to know which spare parts I need for normal use (which might include a little bit of bumper to bumper contact during race). So far, I am thinkig of stocking up on some suspension arms and drive belts. What else should I get?

I don't think thats fair; going against GT2 cars. You'll have way more speed and accelleration. Have fun

Pass you soon...
Chicky fan club member #9
One Eighth Racers of Toledo
lil-bump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 11:25 PM   #10
Tech Rookie

Well acutally not just GT2's; one of my buddy will be running his new evolva and one is running 4-tec 3.3. But the rest of the guys are running inferno GT's and GT2s. We are normally offroad guys though, mainly baja's, so our onroad driving skills are all pretty bad. Having the faster car might not be the best thing for me right now but this is the car I got right now so I'll just try my best.

so for cars such as serpents, evolvas, mugens, and this edam razor, what kind of parts should I stock up on? I've never had a belt driven car before; do the belts last or should I stock up on them? how bout the two speed spurs? I know a couple of my buddies' GT2's are constantly blowing their 2nd gear. I'm sorry, I'm just the type of guy that hates downtime. I like to be able to fix what breaks on the spot by having the parts ready to go. But I can't afford to have all the parts so I'm trying to figure out what part will wear and fail first from normal use.

thanks guys, this forum is awesome by the way. I'm pretty new here but not new to the hobby and I'm liking the people here.

good day guys
Old 05-28-2010, 01:26 AM   #11
Tech Regular

Quote:

Yes, I agree you will kill the GT2's with this car. Provided you got good traction. Personally the only thing I broke so far is one front a arm, one rear a arm and one upper front arm. The only weak pt I find is the spur gears which seems to wear out quite quickly. I change to Edam hardened one which seems to be a lot stronger. Upgrades..... It does have quite a few upgrades like different clutch shoes, new narrow 7075 chassis, carbon fiber chassis plate, radio plate, one piece engine mount, etc. But to be hornest I don't think it is necessary at this moment. Just get the a arms, pulley, belt, bumper, etc. The stuff which would wear out.
Old 05-28-2010, 09:04 PM   #12
Tech Rookie

ok guys, i was trying to breakin the engine today and ran a couple of tanks at idle. On the 2nd tank, the 1st gear pinion came off. Is it safe to put threadlock on the pinions?

I'm sorry, I've been in the hobby for awhile but I only have experience with brushless and 2stroke gasoline engines. Forgive me for newbie questions as I am a newbie when it comes to nitro and onroads vehicles of this design.

-thanks guys
Old 05-31-2010, 03:38 AM   #13
Tech Regular

I never use threadlock for the pinion as I just screw it on tight and never had problem with it. I think you can but the heat from the clutch and engine will melt the treadlock anyway...