R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 05-17-2010, 12:10 PM   #1
Tech Initiate

Questions?? whats needed for nitro onroad

getting back into nitro on road racing been out of the lope for about 10yrs. what i need to know whats needed for the pit area as far as chargers, batteries glow plugs etc, just the basics to keep running. i see some people with little portable power supplys like a jump box for you car. so if i can get some info
tman45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 02:11 PM   #2
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tman45 View Post
getting back into nitro on road racing been out of the lope for about 10yrs. what i need to know whats needed for the pit area as far as chargers, batteries glow plugs etc, just the basics to keep running. i see some people with little portable power supplys like a jump box for you car. so if i can get some info
money
Old 05-18-2010, 02:12 PM   #3
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

To get started get your self a good chassis. One that can grow with you as your sills get better. You'll need spare parts , glow plugs. If you get a starter box and install a 12v battery you won't need the power supply. For your pit area a good table chair and a tent will make the day more relaxing for you.
Old 05-18-2010, 05:03 PM   #4
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocca30 View Post
money
haha true
Mom & Dad
RCAKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 01:36 AM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocca30 View Post
money
Wanabrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 10:04 AM   #6
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by tman45 View Post
That little jump box is used for powering a tire truer. Not needed if you get power from your car battery OR if you use someone else's truer in their pit.

You'll also need a small plug-in charger for your NiMh receiver pack or a specific charger (and probably a power supply) for LiPo or LiFe packs. If your radio has rechargable batteries, you need a charger for that too.

So, plan on a power strip for sure. If your racing organization provides power to the pit area you might need an extension cord. I always bring a 100' cord reel with 3 outlets, just in case.

Welcome back and good luck!
PDX-Spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 10:28 AM   #7
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

welcome back. stay with a chassis that you will be able to upgrade over time but even now the major chassis like Kyosho (Evolva M3), the Serpent 966, Motonica P81 and the Shepherd Velox are all very good cars to begin with. check out what other racers are brining with them and always have a back up engine with you.

One word of advise

You dont have to bring all the high tech gadgets for a nitro race. But even if you have them, keep an eye out for thieves. Sadly 'friends' will borrow your tools and tune up / set up tools and 'forget' to return them
BigBellyCat is offline   Reply With Quote