R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 05-14-2010, 10:27 PM   #16
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 31 (97%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDCrow View Post
Thanks for the opportunity to provide background. I look forward to questions, thoughts, as well as your support. Not only for the election season, but during the 2 years the term will run.

Regards,
JD Crow
JD, first I must say I am pleased to see you are NOT in California or Arizona, that alone gets my vote. For far to many years the RC world has been ruled by people on the West coast who ignore everything that is going on around the rest of the country, because they feel the West coast is the mecca of RC. I realize that some of the top racers in the country live on the West coast, but how many of them were born there? They move there because that's where the major manufacturers are, and what better way to get sponsored than to be near the big players in the industry.

Now I live in Michigan, and I would have to argue that the area I am in (Region 5) has the largest growth in RC racing of anyplace in the country. Just look at some of the major tracks in my area:

Leisure Hours Chicago IL - 7,500+ sq. ft. Indoor Off-Road Track, 20,000+ sq. ft. Outdoor off-road track, 20,000+ sq. ft. Outdoor on-road track

Proving Grounds Raceway Grand Rapids MI - 8,500+ sq. ft. Indoor Off-Road track, 15,000+ sq. ft. Outdoor off-road track

AMS Raceway Grand Blanc MI - 8,000+ sq. ft. Indoor Off-Road track

CRCRC Columbus OH - 7,000+ sq. ft. Indoor Off-Road track

Dirt Burners Livonia MI - 6,000+ sq. ft. Indoor Off-Road track

Now I would argue that these tracks alone would rival anyplace in this nation.

We have several large Racing Series in this area, FTMS, MORL and VRL that bring in between 150 - 350 entries at each event.

Then lets throw in a few of the local racers from this area:

Dakotah Phend - Multiple ROAR National Championships
Jason Jakubczyk - Former Hot Rod Winner, Top 15 in Nationals
Dustin Richards - Top 10 in Nationals
JP Richards - Multiple ROAR National Championships
Al Horne - Top 10 in Nationals
John Macintosh - Former ROAR National Champion

There are more, but I wont bore you with my rambling. But my point is, this is just a sample of what ROAR Region 5 has to offer. Now lets throw in the rest of the country and the many tracks and drivers who are out there making names for themselves. Just because the top drivers live on the West coast does not mean ROAR has to put the rest of the country out of mind.

ROAR needs to make more of an effort to bring the country together and not be so focused on just the West.

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit.
Don't practice until you get it right, practice until you can't get it wrong.
REVO-Beat-U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 10:56 PM   #17
Tech Apprentice

JD Crow Aren't you the one that messed up the ROAR on-Road Qualifying rule not too long ago?
Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 11:23 PM   #18
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to JDCrow Send a message via Skype™ to JDCrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Android View Post
JD Crow Aren't you the one that messed up the ROAR on-Road Qualifying rule not too long ago?
No. I believe Im one of the leadership team members who addressed that concern

Im the one, along with Steve Pond - Fuel Section Chair, who researched the ladder seeding format after a post by Jim Rice. ROARs Fuel guideline was to follow IFMAR Ladder Seeding format. At the time of Jims inquiry, the ifmar 1:8 IC Track guidelines were down for review. The Fuel Off-Road format, ROAR and IFMAR is no direct seeds to the final. There was concern the OnRoad would be the same, which turned out to not be the case at all.

Steve and I reviewed, altough we did not have access to the IFMAR format (the class rules were under review and unavailable), we had the ROAR Ladder seeding format confirmed there were direct seeds to the finals. ROAR has stated we were following IFMAR Ladder format at our National Events. For Off-Road 1:8, that is no direct seeds. Current reading of the 2010 IFMAR 1:8 IC Track Rules, 4 direct seeds go into the Final.

I dont recall if we are going 4 or 8 direct. If Steve reads this thread, maybe he will chime in.

Regards,
JD

Last edited by JDCrow; 05-15-2010 at 08:35 AM. Reason: revised and extended my remarks
JDCrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 12:14 AM   #19
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to JDCrow Send a message via Skype™ to JDCrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Wyatt View Post
When is the election? and how do people cast their votes?

The last year and a half have been rough on the entire RC community. It will turn around eventually and with good leadership things will only get better.
It will be sometime around September/October I believe. It is required to take place in the fall with Officers taking their elected positions January 1.

Remember this year, we also elect members to serve as Regional Directors. This year the Even Number Regions (2,4,6,8,10,12) are elected along with President.

Ballots may be cast Online at ROARs website of by mailing paper ballots directly to the ROAR Administrator.
JDCrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 01:05 AM   #20
Tech Elite

JDCrow, have heard good things about you.
Best of luck!
Jspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 01:50 PM   #21
Tech Master

Sounds like Mr. Crow is very much in tune with ROAR and racing in general and seems to be a good candidate for the job!

Who are the other candidates running for this office? I for one would hope that Ed Hill, the current ROAR VP, would run for the position.
Bob Malphurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 07:30 AM   #22
Tech Master

I am surprised by the lack of traffic and comments. Is there that little interest?
Rich Browne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 07:46 AM   #23
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Browne View Post
I am surprised by the lack of traffic and comments. Is there that little interest?
Perhaps this is not the forum for this, after all it's smaller percentage of ROAR racers that read here.

Better in a forum like "Racing Forum" that would be read by a wider range of racers.
Old 05-16-2010, 07:54 AM   #24
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Malphurs View Post
Perhaps this is not the forum for this, after all it's smaller percentage of ROAR racers that read here.

Better in a forum like "Racing Forum" that would be read by a wider range of racers.

This local is fine. I have found people will find the subject matter that interests them. 500 hits is reasonable. Perhaps, ROAR, has lost it's relevance???
Old 05-16-2010, 08:13 AM   #25
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
This local is fine. I have found people will find the subject matter that interests them. 500 hits is reasonable. Perhaps, ROAR, has lost it's relevance???
This local is not fine, if you look at the hits on the forums there are three times as many people on the electric onroad site than here. Electric off road is second. Many of the racers I talk to are reluctant to join ROAR as they feel it is all geared towards 1/8 fuel racers from CA who are far displaced from the real issues facing the majority. I also think Dawn has done a great job so far. It takes a long time to turn the ship even though it may take no time at all to turn the wheel.

I like the discussion so far however, just feel it may have more input elsewhere.
Cammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 08:22 AM   #26
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cammer View Post
This local is not fine, if you look at the hits on the forums there are three times as many people on the electric onroad site than here. Electric off road is second. Many of the racers I talk to are reluctant to join ROAR as they feel it is all geared towards 1/8 fuel racers from CA who are far displaced from the real issues facing the majority. I also think Dawn has done a great job so far. It takes a long time to turn the ship even though it may take no time at all to turn the wheel.

I like the discussion so far however, just feel it may have more input elsewhere.
Sorry, I race 1/8th on-road gas. Off Road and Electric on-road have there own place and requirements. California has nothing to do with the discussion.

As for me. I think ROAR need a whole new focus
Old 05-16-2010, 09:06 AM   #27
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Talking Elections

Hey Rich Browne, I am curious who are you looking for to run for President? just like to know who all is going to run. They have to been in a roar offical of some type before they can even run. And about the interrest do you know how many ROAR members there are? You might want to look at the last elections and see how many people voted. That will give you good answer.

Thomas Colclasure

JUST SHUT UP AND RACE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SPEED COST MONEY HOW FAST DO YOU WANT TO GO!!!!
The Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 10:00 AM   #28
Tech Master

Quote:
Quote:
Sorry, I race 1/8th on-road gas. Off Road and Electric on-road have there own place and requirements. California has nothing to do with the discussion.
As for me. I think ROAR need a whole new focus

The parts in blue are one reason why the opinion of ROAR is so low.

The part in bold I couldn't agree on more! And the focus should be ROAR as a whole!

We need one common forum where all candidates and members can post.
Old 05-16-2010, 10:28 AM   #29
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Malphurs View Post
The parts in blue are one reason why the opinion of ROAR is so low.

The part in bold I couldn't agree on more! And the focus should be ROAR as a whole!

We need one common forum where all candidates and members can post.

Well, then feel free to start one. Could you, please, be more explicit with your comments. The statement "the parts in blue..." helps nothing. If we are all concise and to the point, perhaps, we can come to an accord.
Old 05-16-2010, 10:35 AM   #30
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Judge View Post
Hey Rich Browne, I am curious who are you looking for to run for President? just like to know who all is going to run. They have to been in a roar offical of some type before they can even run. And about the interrest do you know how many ROAR members there are? You might want to look at the last elections and see how many people voted. That will give you good answer.

Thomas Colclasure
Hi Thomas,

I am hoping for someone that believes in promotion first. The person is out there. I just hope they step up.

A fresh start would help our hobby.

Plus, whoever takes the role needs a very good ExCom.