Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
Should I make this???? >

Should I make this????

Should I make this????

Old 05-17-2004, 07:13 AM
Tech Master

Default Re: Re: scoops!

Originally posted by Julius
You can make all the hood scoops you want. Just as long as you don't cut a hole in them. The scoop is okay, the hole is the problem.
as i have asked before... why? why cant we cut a hole in front of the scoop? and we are allowed to cut on the windshield?

mop
Old 05-17-2004, 05:52 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default Get your facts straight!

Man I'm getting tierd of this . First of all it's Beroullis theory not Bernoullion. And second I was not explaining it I was simply stating that the air has a longer distance to cover over the top of the wing then it does the bottom! If you would like me to explain in detail Beroullis theory I would be glad too.
Old 05-17-2004, 05:57 PM
Tech Regular

Hey Hellion! Not sure if you remeber me, I'm also from Colorado, do you know when did they start racing at Hobby Town? Thank!
Old 05-17-2004, 06:36 PM
Tech Addict

Sorry to but in, please spell it correctly if your going to qoute it. Its Bernoullis theory. And it states that the air moving over the top slows down vs the air on the bottom of the airfoil. Thus the pressure is higher on the bottom causing lift. But Bernoullis thoery wasn't completely correct either. There is new testing that shows that the pressure isn't always lower on the top. But go ahead and explain more.
Old 05-18-2004, 12:21 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default BUTT IN

Nitpicking about the dumbest sh%$!!! I forgot the N shoot me! Again if you want both theorys explained in detail I would be glad to .That is if you don't mind a few misspelled words. What's next? If you want to discuss going faster with your RC car then talk to me If you want to talk about spelling then I'm the last person you would talk too....
Old 05-18-2004, 12:29 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default oops

Butt is spelled with 2 ts I'd say no pun intended but it is................. And D HobbyTown started racing 2 or 3 weeks ago. If I have time I'll try to be there Sunday
Old 05-18-2004, 12:40 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default MOP Man

That's what I'm going to discuss with ROAR. Cutting holes in air scoops makes the car look a lot more realistic then cutting a hole in the windshield. I have been having good luck with this but the hood scoops are a little big so I'm going to put more slope in the hood so I can make the scoop look smaller on the body I'm building now
Attached Thumbnails Should I make this????-imga3096.jpg  
Old 05-18-2004, 06:40 AM
Tech Adept

Hellion,

I think you're the one that has the Beroullis theory wrong. The flow on the bottom of an airplanes wing, which btw isn't always straight (look at the NACA airfoils book in any engineering library), does flow faster for the reason Julius had mentioned. A set of air molecules must enter and exit the airfoil at the same time, thus the flow on the bottom of the wing has to flow faster due to a longer distance to flow. With the faster flow results in a higher pressure on the bottow with low pressure on top resulting in lift. For downforce on cars you have to flip the wing over.

Not meaning to flame you or anything.

When are you going to come down to MARCAR? Looking forward to meeting you and seeing some of your bodies in person. They do look cool.
Old 05-18-2004, 07:52 AM
Tech Master

Default Re: BUTT IN

Originally posted by HELLION
Nitpicking about the dumbest sh%$!!! I forgot the N shoot me! Again if you want both theorys explained in detail I would be glad to .That is if you don't mind a few misspelled words. What's next? If you want to discuss going faster with your RC car then talk to me If you want to talk about spelling then I'm the last person you would talk too....
I fear of beeing shouted at again

http://www.geocities.com/galemcraig/
Old 05-18-2004, 08:45 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default Re: ROAR & downforce

Originally posted by HELLION
As the wing cuts threw the air the air on the bottem side is traveling at a faster rate then the top wich provides lift.
The faster air flow is created over the surface with the furthest distance to travel (on a wing with flat bottom/curved upper surface this would be the top surface). This is what helps create the lift but not all of it. Other factors like wing camber and thickness of the profile have to be taken into consideration along with the angle of attack (incidence) and airspeed of the wing in motion.

Downforce is the same thing only upsidedown And yes too much downforce can slow the car down but I havent seen to many bodies out there that would have a problem with this do to It would only slow the car down at high speeds on the long straights but not enough to be concerned with and it can really aid you in the turns. That said if your car is set up right then you want the downforce distributed evenley I.E. Too much rear wing may cause understeer and to much front spoiler could cause oversteer but it's rare.
This bit I agree with but in relation to what I have posted. Dont take this as a personal attack. Im merely pointing out the correct info for anyone else who might want to do what you are doing. Your shell looks great too. Hope it is a success.

I edited this post due to the ill-nature this thread has took and my part in it. I didnt mean to demean Hellion in any way and have sent him an email offering full apology for this.

Last edited by Palmaris Europe; 05-19-2004 at 08:19 AM.
Old 05-18-2004, 10:20 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default bernoulli's law

it might not be appropriate to apply bernoulli's law on rc car body design anyways. first, the bottom surface of the car is not continuous and second, you have ground effect to deal with.
Old 05-18-2004, 11:37 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default Theories !

Man do you guys ever stop! I give a basic theory that has been tought for many years and lately that theory is being challenged by another one but a theory is basically a educated guess. If it's a proven theory it becomes fact. And guess what ? Wings are not perfectly straight on the bottom! Annnnd I spell like a 5 year old And heres a nother tip I DON'T KNOW ALL THE ANSWERS no one does. What I do know is I have been involved in racing my whole life I have owned high performance shops for the real cars and I raced real cars and not to brag but I have a few championships under my belt so I must be doing something right. My MTX-2 is the fastest car that I have ever seen. I have built most of the parts on it my self including the frame. I don't win all the time because sometimes there are better drivers at the track that day I have a wind tunnel.four way digital scale,engine dyno,car dyno, to aid me in being the fastest possibel But heres another tip Racing is NOT a exact sicence never has been!
Old 05-18-2004, 11:44 AM
Tech Elite

You can aply the law, because aerodynamics apply to everything regardless of what it is. Only, with ROAR, you are not allowed to do anything to the underside.
Old 05-18-2004, 11:57 AM
Tech Fanatic

Edited, see above post.

Last edited by Palmaris Europe; 05-19-2004 at 08:20 AM.
Old 05-18-2004, 12:02 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

That's awesome that you designed your own body man, I wouldn't know where to start. I say make a 1 off then trash the mold, have a pro painter paint it and keep it for show.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.