R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 08-20-2007, 06:42 AM   #1471
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to spenzalii

That's probably what I need with those diffs: some shims on the inside for the spider gears. Been blowing too many recently.
spenzalii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 01:43 PM   #1472
Tech Master

The few times I had diffs lock up the internal shims where worn. It's been some time since I did it but the last diff I built I am sure I got two shims in and it felt great. I also used grease during assembly on the shims etc to reduce wear (& mixed some gease in with the silicone oil to give it some lube properties).
au_Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 12:43 PM   #1473
Tech Master

I'll give it a shot. The cap end by the bevel gear will make the diff turn, while the cap end on the opposite side spins and catches when it feels like it. My guess is that's where that shim better go. Time to order.

I'm also going to try a solid diff up front rather than the one way. A majority of the people at the track run a spool on their cars since we have a lot of grip. If I can get my brakes back, I can dive into the corners harder. We will see.
Old 08-21-2007, 04:05 PM   #1474
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spenzalii View Post
I'll give it a shot. The cap end by the bevel gear will make the diff turn, while the cap end on the opposite side spins and catches when it feels like it. My guess is that's where that shim better go. Time to order.

I'm also going to try a solid diff up front rather than the one way. A majority of the people at the track run a spool on their cars since we have a lot of grip. If I can get my brakes back, I can dive into the corners harder. We will see.
Spenz, you are on the right track. The end with the play is suspect. Use shims to eleminate the end play. I have had this happen after a qualifier and installed the shims and have not had any problems with that diff in three race weekends.

My question about the spool is ... doesn't it introduce a lot of understeer differences between on and off power?
Old 08-22-2007, 01:49 AM   #1475
Tech Master

I tried a spool, yes while it was great on the brakes with the 1/8 buggy brake disc I have installed steering was an issue. I was much better using a one way as the exit speed was better (techinical track).

What I should of done was change my chassis setup for the spool give me less grip at the rear, but didn't fancy playing around that much
Old 08-22-2007, 08:10 AM   #1476
Tech Master

If you don't have a lot of traction, the spool will cause the car to undeersteer (push). But the track has a ton of traction, so it's not as much of a problem for most people out there.

AU, I'll keep that setup tip in mind. What would you suggest first for loosening up the rear? Actually, when I think about it, wouldn't the spool affect corner entry speed instead of corner exit? Out of the corner (at least on power) the one way and the spool would act the same. Now off power into and out of a corner I can see where it may push.
Old 08-22-2007, 01:46 PM   #1477
Tech Master

On power out of the corner the spool for me pushed. But to be honest I only practiced one race morning and had two races with the spool. I really did not give it a chance to change driving style etc.
Old 09-04-2007, 02:40 PM   #1478
Tech Master

Well, wasn't able to try the spool (one of the outdrives snapped), but I worked on the suspension a bit to gain some more on power steering so I could take the sweeper better. If I can get that down better, I can drop my lap time considerably. Now I just need the nerve to hold the throttle around that corner.

I also had the chance to do a few laps with a MTX4R. One word: Wow...
Old 09-05-2007, 11:51 AM   #1479
Tech Addict

This is the one problem I have been trying to address - faster sweeper speed. Reducing the front droop helped. But only on high traction tracks.
For low traction tracks, I switched to copper springs and lowered the roll center. I am still working on the F/R balance.
Old 09-08-2007, 07:21 PM   #1480
Tech Master

I'm going to try to get something to work tomorrow. I reded the 2 speed (again ) so hopefully I should get something. I'll try to throw it on a setup board tomorrow and see if I can get a bit more on power steering. The springs seem to work for the traction we have at the track (purple front, copper rear, 42 shore all around), and off power steering is good.

This is a warm up race before the other big rac eof the season, the I-95 Showdown. We should have quite a few people from both ends of the I95 corridor at the track on Saturday. Brooklyn was definately in the house last year and at the Classic. If you can make it down here, it will be worth it.

BTW, I talked to Chris today. We seem to think alike! He's a good dude, isn't he?
Old 09-09-2007, 08:52 PM   #1481
Tech Addict

I seem to achieve the best car handling with the same spring on front and rear. When I run a lighter spring in the rear, the rear breaks loose early under hard cornering, and sweepers. On super high traction tracks I have run gold springs front and rear with excellent results.
Have you had a chance to get the harder springs for the transmission? I'll be testing a set tomorrow, let you know how they perform.

Don't see the I95 Showdown on my travel schedule this year, but everyone is anticipating lots of competition.

Yeh, Chris is cool. He asked me If I knew you, I told him I had corresponded with you and I knew what you looked like from your picture.
Old 09-10-2007, 09:30 AM   #1482
Tech Master

Ha Ha ha.

I would think that a softer spring would cause the rear end to grip more, as more weight would be transferred to the rear end. If anything, it would cause it to understeer (push), not have the rear come around. But if it works for you, roll with it.

I don't even want to talk about that transmission right now. I didn't get to the track on Sunday (family stuff to take care of) but I am trying to sneak out of here to get some quick testing before practice on Friday.
Old 09-12-2007, 12:08 PM   #1483
Tech Addict

I think the rear leans too much and the chassis touches the track, and this causes some of the oversteer. The other contributer is the rear weight needs to be supported to sustain stability, and the softer spring in the rear requires a higher driving level than I am exhibiting. I'll adjust the rear shock mounting position and evaluate before I change rear spring rates.
Old 09-13-2007, 07:43 PM   #1484
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 182 (100%+)

does the CD3 pro come with .08 gears?
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 08:01 PM   #1485
Tech Addict

The CD3 PRO Kit version comes with 0.8 gears.

The CD3 Pro RTR comes with 1.0 gears.