R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 03-16-2007, 02:33 PM   #1351
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Delta9 Racing

Delta9,
Sounds like you had a very successful raceday, qualifying into the B main and holding your position during the race. Do your track race every two weeks?
Thanks for posting your car setup. Are you using the f/r sway bars? or are they disconnected? At first the quantity of camber dialed in shocked me, but I can understand it with the softer springs, plus you get a lot of side bite leaning into the corners. What shore tires were you running?
Old 03-16-2007, 02:41 PM   #1352
Tech Addict

Default Diff fluid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Tanto
I will be trying front and rear diffs with 30k? any clues???

Joe F
I would also recommend taking the approach to diff tuning carefully. Don't begin with large differences in fluid weight between front and rear. If you initially try different weights in front and rear, you can swap the diffs and evaluate the performance. I would recommend keeping the differences between fluid weights to 20k.
Old 03-16-2007, 10:37 PM   #1353
Tech Apprentice

thanks curvtracer and delta9

joef
Old 03-16-2007, 11:44 PM   #1354
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurveTracer
Delta9,
Sounds like you had a very successful raceday, qualifying into the B main and holding your position during the race. Do your track race every two weeks?
Thanks for posting your car setup. Are you using the f/r sway bars? or are they disconnected? At first the quantity of camber dialed in shocked me, but I can understand it with the softer springs, plus you get a lot of side bite leaning into the corners. What shore tires were you running?
Curvetracer, we have one club race a month. I was using the sway bars, both were set flat, was running 37 shore tyres all round. the grip in the corners was very good.

Next test session i am going to be trying different springs, and testing caster changes, my caster is as per the manual at the moment. what caster are you guys running?
Delta9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 12:27 PM   #1355
Tech Adept

Talking

Delta9,

until me and CurveTracer did our test and tune last week, i had not had the opportunity to run the TZ in the CD3 (the end of last season i had a sirio and a hyper 12). but let me tell you that i think the stock pipe will be fine for my limited driving skills. i have plenty of low end. but i cant even compare it other pipes on other cars i had because i changed the shimming and filled the crank with putty. however, i am going to get like 2 other pipes as comparison, thats why i was asking about the Vantage pipe as well.

Everyone,

i rigged up the 8 lipo cells with deans plugs and let me tell you that the torque is definetly there! now i just need to put it through its paces and see how it performs during the course of a race/practice/test day. the Superbrain charger i have can charge them but i have to monitor it closely. i checked out the battery site posted and see the advantage they have over me is the balancer plug. but i read through posts on here and an airplane forum and they say it is not necessary, just an added piece of security to insure your cells last longer.

now i'm lipo'd in the transmitter, receiver and starter box! now i just need to find a way to regulate the voltage for 1 cell so i can lipo my glow igniter.
nitrothugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 12:54 PM   #1356
Tech Adept

Thanks for the tips on the tuned pipe Nitrothugg!
Old 03-17-2007, 08:02 PM   #1357
Tech Addict

Default Starter Box Lipo power

Nitrothug,
Well it looks like the lipo battery power is a go. What charger are most lipo users having the most success with?? It will be interesting to discover how long the starter box charge lasts, 1,2 or 3 race days. It would be a time saver to not not to have to focus on charging so many batteries. When my sons are going to race we have to charge two starter boxes, plus a backup battery, cars rx bats, tx bats and glow igniters. All within 1-2 days of raceday.
Old 03-17-2007, 08:33 PM   #1358
Tech Addict

Default Caster and CD3 chassis setup

Delta9
I have run a with all spacers behind the A-arm which measures out to about 8 degrees. The turnin was quick but there was some understeer on corner exit. This was a setup run at a track called IRP in DeKalb IL (now closed though).

Below is my current setup that I am having lots of success with. Turnin is great for on/off power, the cars hugs curves through a chicane. Straight line stability is excellent. This setup I tested and dialed in at Leisure Hours Raceway.

Front Rear
shock tower 1 1
lower A arm 2 3
springs yellow red
oil 80 wt 50 wt
caster 1.5 mm spacer in rear of A arm (10 degrees)
toe -1 deg 2.5 deg
sway bar flat 40 degrees
roll center Low (lower hole)
ride height 5mm 5.5mm
diff 4-gear 4-gear
diff fluid 10k 30k
tire dia 60 mm 59 mm
tire shore 37 Elleggi 40 Elleggi
engine - Picco .12 , Mega-R pipe
pinions 20/26
spur 55/49
clutch HN lightened (3mm holes)
end play .4mm
engage dist. about .2
Old 03-17-2007, 11:18 PM   #1359
Tech Adept

Thanks Curvetracer!
I was rebuidling the clutch yesterday and was wondering about drilling holes in the flyweights, how has it changed the engagement? does it launch harder?
I am actually very pleased with the way my clutch has been working lately so i left it, i have some spare flyweights so i will give it a try after the next club race.

Will try the caster changes next time im out at the track.
Thanks again for typing out your setup!
Old 03-18-2007, 08:22 AM   #1360
Tech Addict

Default CD3 Clutch

You're welcome Delta9,
I got the lightened clutch shoes with a used car that I purchased for parts so I don/t know where to purchase them. But with my current clutch setup the engagement is very smooth. The abrupt engagement was causing my car to oversteer out of corners, that cost me a couple of practice race sessions. The Mugen MTX4 racers also use the lightened shoes with good results.
Old 03-18-2007, 08:49 AM   #1361
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to spenzalii

Interesting setup for your tires and diffs. Most people I see run the softer shore in the rear rather than the front. I'll look for the reason why in my setup book once I can find it. The diff fluid is also usually heavier in the front than in the rear. This could be the cause for some of the understeer. But if it works for you, go for it.

Does anyone remember the FDR on these cars? I want to say it is 2.5, but my memory is bad

On that clutch, is it the weights or the shoe that are lightened on that centax clutch? I switched to a mugen super hard clutch spring and the yellow clutch shoe. The clutch engaged much harder (higher RPM) but is still quite smooth
Old 03-18-2007, 09:07 AM   #1362
Tech Adept

Thumbs up

CurveTracer's car is really predictable (drove it a few laps myself) and easy to drive. the thing i appreciate the most about it is the smooth clutch engagement.
nitrothugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 12:31 PM   #1363
Tech Adept

LOL Spenzalii, i saw the yellow clutch shoe in your pics, i was just going to ask you what clutch shoes you were running.
I picked up the serpent yellow centax clutch shoes but it wont fit, will swop for the Mugen one at the track next time.
Old 03-18-2007, 06:57 PM   #1364
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by spenzalii
Interesting setup for your tires and diffs. Most people I see run the softer shore in the rear rather than the front. I'll look for the reason why in my setup book once I can find it. The diff fluid is also usually heavier in the front than in the rear. This could be the cause for some of the understeer. But if it works for you, go for it.

Does anyone remember the FDR on these cars? I want to say it is 2.5, but my memory is bad

On that clutch, is it the weights or the shoe that are lightened on that centax clutch? I switched to a mugen super hard clutch spring and the yellow clutch shoe. The clutch engaged much harder (higher RPM) but is still quite smooth
Spenzalii,
I made a mistake ... ok it was late when I copied the info from my setup sheet in my book to the message I was typing up, and I was out of town.
The Front tires are 40 shore and the Rear tires are 37 shore. All other setup parameters are correct.
The diff fluid is correct Front 10k, Rear 30k. I have not increased the front diff fluid weight yet, but I suspect that I will introduce more understeer to this particular setup. When I get some results, I'll give the group an update.
The weights are lightened with two holes in each of them.
Old 03-18-2007, 07:09 PM   #1365
Tech Addict

Default FDR

Yes, I double checked the final drive ratio is 2.5.