R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 03-11-2007, 08:36 PM   #1336
Tech Adept

Thumbs up Chi-Town weather held up for a day!!!!

got a chance to run the CD3 for the first time this season and i'm inspired. cant wait to hit the midwest series this year and more then likely a weekend trip to 301 raceway.
nitrothugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 09:23 AM   #1337
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to spenzalii

Good to hear. We have a few big races lined up thru the summer (RC Pro Series race, Capitol Classic, ROAR Region 2 race, I95 Showdown) and a few other surprises I know they haven't let out of the bag. Race days are Sundays and practice is open all week. If I'm in town, I'll meet you up there. There will definately be a slew of people there anyway and you may get to meet C. Whit himself.

I have to get out of work early one day this week. I have some break in to do!
Old 03-13-2007, 11:55 AM   #1338
Tech Master

And now, the new hotness...
Attached Thumbnails
Ofna Cd-3-small-profile.jpg   Ofna Cd-3-head-shot.jpg   Ofna Cd-3-new-full.jpg   Ofna Cd-3-break-.jpg  
Old 03-15-2007, 11:30 AM   #1339
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Wink Nice CD3

Spenzalii,
That CD3 looks awesome with that Ninja engine installed!
Hey how do you like that pressure smoothing device that you have
in-line with the muffler pressure line? Is it a just a fuel filter with the screen removed?
Keep us informed on the performance of the engine on the 301 race course.
I been reading the 301 thread and there are lots of Serpents and MTX4, hopefully with the CD3 chassis setup and the New engine they won't get away from you!
Old 03-15-2007, 07:30 PM   #1340
Tech Adept

ok, you officially are not allowed to do anymore upgrades to your cd3 until we can catch up!
Old 03-15-2007, 08:26 PM   #1341
Tech Master

Ha ha. It's only the second season with this car. Actually first full season, as I started last year with the LD3 and the CD3 had it's various teething problems. But, I'll try to leave the upgrades alone for the time being.

The pressure chamber seems to be doing the trick. Most of the time you see it on 1/8 scales. A few people use it on 1/10 to cut down on the tubing. It seems to be OK so far.

Most of the heat on that 301 board is on 1/8. There will probably be a huge turnout, with MRX4s, 960s and an Evolva or two getting down and dirty. 1/10 will see a slew of MTX4s, V1RRRs, a G4 or two and a handful of 710s and 720s (although not many run Serpent 1/10th). The novive and RTR class should see a few FW05-Rs, since they sold quite a few of them in the last few months.
Old 03-15-2007, 09:32 PM   #1342
Tech Adept

curvetracer

i used the integy setup station and the settings did not change much on my car so it is pretty acurate as well. the toe-in guage though, i see what you mean. its like the hash marks are just too wide or not properly spaced but its close.

also, i racked up some more of those lipo cells from work. i have enough now to try and experiment with a set in the starter box. i have 8 total cells rated at 2200mah each. thats over 15 volts if i make two 4 cell packs with 4400mah's. if it holds up, my box will be nice and light like my transmitter.
Old 03-15-2007, 09:37 PM   #1343
Tech Addict

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrothugg
ok, you officially are not allowed to do anymore upgrades to your cd3 until we can catch up!
Yea, spenzalii, you are making the rest of us look bad,... well except Delta9 he was the first to show a fully optioned car. But his should be a little dirty from the first outing this last weekend. Hopefully the outing was fruitful.

Last Sunday the mercury hit the 50's and Nitrothug and I ran our cars at the local school parking lot. I was able to drive my best setup car (clutch, diffs, and chassis). The slalom, power on/off transitions and curve hugging were all smooth and predictable. But you would expect nothing less from -- CurveTracer .. right?
(now if I can just duplicate it on the track all the time).

We each fired up the OS TZ engines, man those engines rev so quickly they transform sotck first gear into a "granny gear". My season will start with my Picco engine and as soon as I am ready for more power, the OS TZ will get some track time ... and 1 to 2 steps down in gearing.
Old 03-15-2007, 09:47 PM   #1344
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrothugg
curvetracer

i used the integy setup station and the settings did not change much on my car so it is pretty acurate as well. the toe-in guage though, i see what you mean. its like the hash marks are just too wide or not properly spaced but its close.

also, i racked up some more of those lipo cells from work. i have enough now to try and experiment with a set in the starter box. i have 8 total cells rated at 2200mah each. thats over 15 volts if i make two 4 cell packs with 4400mah's. if it holds up, my box will be nice and light like my transmitter.
The toe setting seems to lose some accuracy but still beter than my previous tools.
I'd be very interested in a lipo setup for my starterbox also. Can those batteries supply enough surge current to run the starter motor as strong as the old trusty gel cells?? What about a reliable lipo charger that won't cause my house to burn down.
When you're done working out the details, let's update all of the starter boxes.
Old 03-15-2007, 11:50 PM   #1345
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurveTracer
Yea, spenzalii, you are making the rest of us look bad,... well except Delta9 he was the first to show a fully optioned car. But his should be a little dirty from the first outing this last weekend. Hopefully the outing was fruitful.
The race on sunday was awesome! came 3rd in the B main out of 8 (first race ever)
After the 3 qualifying heats, i was placed 4th. Didnt drive to aggressively as i just wanted to finish the race. It was a good learning curve and will be better prepared for the next race in April. Most important of all was i had good fun!
Cant wait for the next race!
i have ordered my OS 12TZ!
Delta9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 07:43 AM   #1346
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta9
The race on sunday was awesome! came 3rd in the B main out of 8 (first race ever)
After the 3 qualifying heats, i was placed 4th. Didnt drive to aggressively as i just wanted to finish the race. It was a good learning curve and will be better prepared for the next race in April. Most important of all was i had good fun!
Cant wait for the next race!
i have ordered my OS 12TZ!

well let me start out by saying that i'm jealous that you are able to compete already in some sort of race - its harsh here in the midwest having to wait for the weather to clear.

and congrats on the solid performance. if you get some time, maybe post the track conditions and a rough setup you were running and how it felt.
Old 03-16-2007, 11:08 AM   #1347
Tech Adept

Thanks NitroThugg, here in South Africa we dont have an off season, we race all year round.

Track conditions were smooth and its a fairly large flowing track with alot of 180 degree turns and a large sweeper going onto the back straight

Camber :4 all round (thats for even tyre wear)
Shock oil:40w all round
Springs Blue - rear
red - front
Ride height was 5mm all round
50k weight in the rear diff one way infront
3mm droop front
2mm droop rear
3 degree toe in on rear
0.5 degree toe out on the front (going to try 1 out next)

for qualifiers i was running 59mm all round

For the main i trued down a brand new set of fronts 2mm and left the rear normal to compensate for tyre wear during the 30min main.

Car was handling better than it ever has, had great turn in and good on power steering the off power handling left nothing to be desired either, could hold it balls to the wall through the sweeper.

Nitrothugg you run .12tz, how does the stock pipe do with this engine?
Old 03-16-2007, 11:33 AM   #1348
Tech Apprentice

Default Diffs

I will be trying front and rear diffs with 30k? any clues???

Joe F
Old 03-16-2007, 12:25 PM   #1349
Tech Adept

Joe try 30k front and 10k rear or 50k front and 30 rear
Old 03-16-2007, 12:55 PM   #1350
Tech Master

Good going Delta. We are jealous over here, let me tell you. The first (official) Test and Tune of the season was supposed to be Sunday. Not sue if that's going to happen. We went from 70 degrees to 40 degrees with rain in 6 hours over here. Chance of a dusting of snow tonight. Ah well, the engine still needs to get broken in, and I need some more plugs and fuel tubing.

I know HTBatteries is selling a lipo starter box pack, so it should be possible. Voltage should be 14.8 at minimum, which should do the trick. Once I upgrade my charger, I'll pick one (or a few) of them up. I'd been toying with the idea of putting one in the car, but I'm not sure on routing the voltage regulator. I want the car to stay clean.