R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 02-26-2007, 10:16 AM   #1291
Tech Apprentice

Default setup

Curvetracer when you said Ensure your roll center is in the low setting, (lower hole on the rear upper link) because mine it's on the upper hole, does the car will handle better from the rear end? and how much shall I give tow in at the rear?

Joe F
Joe Tanto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 05:20 PM   #1292
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Tanto
Curvetracer when you said Ensure your roll center is in the low setting, (lower hole on the rear upper link) because mine it's on the upper hole, does the car will handle better from the rear end? and how much shall I give tow in at the rear?

Joe F
Joe,
The upper hole is good for low traction tracks, the lower for higher traction tracks.
I think the spring and dampening rates and sway bars will get you in the ball park for neutral handling. From the car behavior that you described I am not convinced that changing the roll center alone will cure your oversteer problem.

Ken
Old 02-26-2007, 05:40 PM   #1293
Tech Addict

Hey splenzalii,
Do you race at 301 raceway in Md? What is the track like as far as traction and speed?
Old 02-26-2007, 08:40 PM   #1294
Tech Adept

throttle return spring ideas

have any of you guys rigged up a good throttle return spring on your cars?

i have never used one on a sedan before but for some reason i really want to put one on as added insurance this season. i've been fooling around with a couple of methods but havent came up with anything fool proof yet.
nitrothugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 09:20 PM   #1295
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to spenzalii

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurveTracer
Hey splenzalii,
Do you race at 301 raceway in Md? What is the track like as far as traction and speed?
Yes indeed. It's less than 15 minutes from my place. I can't say what the traction is like now, since the owner, Chris Whitney, resurfaced the entire track after the season was finished. During last season, grip was very good, exept for the spots where the asphalt wasn't as smooth. With the resurfacing, the track is like glass now. Nice and smooth, no bumps, highspots or rough edges. Last year the hot ticket was 40s all around, and you still had the fear of traction roll. Traction levels should be higher now. For a race, VHT is always sprayed, and depending on how many people come for practice, they may spray it for that as well.

Speed is insane at the track. Considering the back straight is 250+ feet depending on configuration, you need big motor and gear to run it. The setup is very flowing, so 1/10 and 1/8 can simply hammer it and keep going. When Mike Swauger came to the track, I think he only let off the gas on 2 or 3 corners max. Everything else was full throttle.

If you ever have the chance, by all means stop by the track. It seriously is first class. Tables, chairs, covered pit area, huge driver stand, wide lanes, good people, great race announcer and one of the best owners in the business (this cannot be stressed enough), it's easily one of (if not the) best tracks on the east coast, and definately one of the best in North America.
Old 02-26-2007, 10:14 PM   #1296
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by spenzalii
Yes indeed. It's less than 15 minutes from my place. I can't say what the traction is like now, since the owner, Chris Whitney, resurfaced the entire track after the season was finished. During last season, grip was very good, exept for the spots where the asphalt wasn't as smooth. With the resurfacing, the track is like glass now. Nice and smooth, no bumps, highspots or rough edges. Last year the hot ticket was 40s all around, and you still had the fear of traction roll. Traction levels should be higher now. For a race, VHT is always sprayed, and depending on how many people come for practice, they may spray it for that as well.

Speed is insane at the track. Considering the back straight is 250+ feet depending on configuration, you need big motor and gear to run it. The setup is very flowing, so 1/10 and 1/8 can simply hammer it and keep going. When Mike Swauger came to the track, I think he only let off the gas on 2 or 3 corners max. Everything else was full throttle.

If you ever have the chance, by all means stop by the track. It seriously is first class. Tables, chairs, covered pit area, huge driver stand, wide lanes, good people, great race announcer and one of the best owners in the business (this cannot be stressed enough), it's easily one of (if not the) best tracks on the east coast, and definately one of the best in North America.

Spen thank you for the kind words, a couple of things about the track. You are so right,we do have one of the BESTannouncers around and the track is super smooth, and right now guys are using 40's or 42's on all fours without the track being preped Vince had 37's on his 8th scale this weekend. The traction compound we use is called Freeburn, it lasts all day and never changes when the conditions change,unlike VHT.
Sandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 02:34 AM   #1297
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrothugg
have any of you guys rigged up a good throttle return spring on your cars?

i have never used one on a sedan before but for some reason i really want to put one on as added insurance this season. i've been fooling around with a couple of methods but havent came up with anything fool proof yet.
heres a pic of what ive used for about a year
Attached Thumbnails
Ofna Cd-3-pic-cd3-spring.jpg  
Mcfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 11:53 AM   #1298
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandra
Spen thank you for the kind words, a couple of things about the track. You are so right,we do have one of the BESTannouncers around and the track is super smooth, and right now guys are using 40's or 42's on all fours without the track being preped Vince had 37's on his 8th scale this weekend. The traction compound we use is called Freeburn, it lasts all day and never changes when the conditions change,unlike VHT.
And there you have it folks. Not only is Chris a stand up guy, he STAYS on these boards to see who's driving what, who needs help with what, and who's talking smack on the east coast
Old 02-27-2007, 06:59 PM   #1299
Tech Addict

Default 301 Raceway

This track sounds like nothing but EXC!TEMENT!!! Full power in most of the corners (that's how the experts drive it) and high traction as a baseline. Whew! We're talking high G's in the corners.
The facility looks great, so as soon as I can get a couple of races under my belt this season, (Midwest series and Leisure Hours Raceway) I'll be out to race. at 301,... at least once.

Here in Chicagoland there is snow on the ground, ... and parking lots. Nitro on road racers get major depression.

Is the track surface heated also?

Thanks for the info Spenzalii and Chris.
Old 02-27-2007, 08:02 PM   #1300
Tech Master

I don't believe the track is heated. I can sympathize with you on the nitro withdrawals. However, if it's 40+ degrees and the ground is dry, you are sure to find somebody up at 301. With a track that size and that good, you can't help yourself.

The 301 crew have a few big races scheduled thru the year that you may want to come check out. The schedule is posted on the 301 Racing post in the Racing board (which stays active thru the year, I may add). There's also C Whit's Hobby Shop less than 5 miles from the track. Depending on the car (and if you really need it), Chris and crew can bring spare parts to the track, making repairs quicker.

True story: 2005 wasn't looking too cool in the DC/MD/VA area. There were a slew of racers, and I mean fast (regional and national fast) racers, spread thru the area but no real place to run. The clubs were spread out, some ran on the same day, making it hard to get a nice sized group at any one parking lot track consistently week to week. Some tracks shut down, some clubs stopped running, some hobby shops closed. The club and track that I ran with in '04 (Fastlane Racing) was about to hang it up. But rumors of a track being built in PG County began to pop up, and they didn't die off. Key people (your fastest of the fast drivers, your A+ hobby shop people) started dropping hints. By spring '06, we has asphalt and an address. Just about everyone in the area came out and helped get the track right: Painting, barriers, setting up the sound, treating problem areas, etc. The inagural season was a blast. We hosted the regionals, 1/5 scales, a few weekend races and a nice points series. We had a regular crew from NY come down, and a slew of racers here went up and raced with them. You really couldn't ask for more.

In a nutshell, Whit and his crew brought new life in the area. We now have a permanent track 3 times the size of the only permanent track we had for years, a hobby shop, dedicated crew and a racing environment that stresses having fun and bringing as many people into this hobby as possible, something that couldn't really be said before. If you can come down and see it, it is well worth it.
Old 03-01-2007, 07:58 AM   #1301
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Guys, sorry I haven't replied, I've been out of town.

NitroThug/CurveRacer - I did not notice any major difference with lifting the front drive unit. If anything it helped because the front one piece shafts from Nitrohouse were a little long and this helped stop the bottom out of the shafts. It was a dual purpose change that didn't affect anything, but only helped. This year will be the determining factor on everything because I have done all of the major upgrades by now and with the new motor, I should be cranking out some good lap times if I get my skills together.
Ex-One Eighth Racers of Toledo member :( no mo money
trumpster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 08:50 PM   #1302
Tech Adept

sorry if i missed it in an earlier post Trumpster

but have you had a chance to run the orion engine yet? if so, how is it in your cd3?
nitrothugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 11:57 PM   #1303
Tech Adept

Im also interested in hearing about the CRF in the CD3.
What gearing are you using?
hows the CD3 centax clutch work with it? any problems?
Delta9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 09:38 AM   #1304
Tech Initiate

Default *RELISTED*FOR SALE OFNA LD3 rtr with EASY START

HEY.....check it out

http://cgi.ebay.com/Ofna-ld3-rtr-1-1...em110099896100

THANX.....HAMMADOWN

Last edited by hammadown; 03-05-2007 at 10:26 PM.
hammadown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 10:33 AM   #1305
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Well, the CRF is a screamer!!! It runs great. I had to upgrade the drive shafts and the pinion gear in the diff cases because it completely stripped the original. There is a lot of power that it is putting to the wheels. I have not had a chance to run the OFNA Power Clutch yet, I have been running the original 3-shoe clutch. The gearing is noted in my signature, I don't remember off the top of my head what I have on it now. I haven't really worked on it all winter. It just sits there waiting . I'll be working on it soon since race season will start here in the next couple months.
Ex-One Eighth Racers of Toledo member :( no mo money
trumpster1 is offline   Reply With Quote