R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 10-17-2006, 04:46 PM   #1186
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy1
curvetracer,you wanted to know how the 22t/28clutch worked with the 48t/54tspur from the ofna forum.I raced with it today with good results.My track is medium size with a good straightaway.I was using the d5r and it easily kept up with a mugen with a rody in it,much to his suprise and mine.Towards the end of the straight it was moving real quick,and bottom end was plentyfull.The pinions in the rear end didint like it too much,i done two in,i must have it set wrong.Cause of this i couldnt run in the main.Hope this is usefull to you.And buy the way when your on your own this engine seems real slow but with other cars it seems on par.
Thanks for the update "easy1"
My D3R is getting faster each race outing. I was holding my own with a NTC3 powered by an OS .12 TZ. I was almost as competitive with this car as when I ran an older OS TR against him.
When under pressure I tend to overdrive the car. I just lose sight of how fast it is traveling, because the engine exhaust note/rpm is lower.
I need to adjust my power clutch to engage a little slower until my throttle finger control is more precise.
Based on you feedback I have am going to install the 48/54T spur gears and evaluate the performance. With our on road track closed for the season, I am stuck with some parking lot testing.
CurveTracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 10:19 AM   #1187
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to spenzalii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandra
Hey Spen, Chris here, if you get the G4 we have parts at the store, along with the kits, just a lil heads up.
Man Chris you just lurk all over the board! I'll have something figured out soon enough, especially since there's really only 4 chassis people run at the track anyway. I'll have something figured out soon enough and let you guys know. If they do come out with a kit with the new tranny, that's probably going to be a lock for me.

But I'm still keeping my CD3!
Old 10-18-2006, 03:53 PM   #1188
Tech Apprentice

Have fun curvetracer,itll be hard to notice the change in a carpark though.Ive drilled my shoes out so they engage hard.Running 42s rear tyres im getting heaps of rear traction with 40s on the front.weird combo but its working.Im thinking of getting the green head team version engine,i cant find any feedback on this engine though,ive emailed Dino at sts but he must be away or something cause ihavnt received one back.
Anybody out there seen this engine go.
easy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 12:34 AM   #1189
Tech Master

Apparantly it has better top end without loosing the D3R bottom end. Would be a nice engine IMO. There was info in I think the STS thread.
au_Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 01:36 AM   #1190
Tech Apprentice

Thanks for that.Ill checkout that thread.
easy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 03:49 AM   #1191
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default WTF!

What the hell has happened to this thread, is all dead and stuff. Do i need to buy another CD3 RTR to stir you all up again or is it nobody is running this car anymore.

After only a hand full of meets with my G4S, i have come to the conclusion that the one way bearing failures i had with my CD3 was in fact my fault as i have had same issue already with G4S. Looks like i might have parted company too early here, which is a shame as i think the shaft drive suits my driving better...

BB
Old 11-02-2006, 07:15 AM   #1192
Tech Adept

Hey Bundy_Bear, I am still running my CD3. im awaiting some sway bars at the moment so i can start setting it up for club racing (just got my set up station i ordered the sway bars at the same time but they forgot to put them in the package lol )

I think the shaft drive suits my style of driving aswell and its much easier to maintain. What problems were you having with the one way?

whats is your opinion on the G4S compared to the CD3? i am thinking of getting one for next year, parts support here is OK but not as good as the serpents and mugens
Delta9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 07:56 AM   #1193
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

My CD3 is still for sale Buddy if your interested in another!
Ex-One Eighth Racers of Toledo member :( no mo money
trumpster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 07:03 PM   #1194
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta9
Hey Bundy_Bear, I am still running my CD3. im awaiting some sway bars at the moment so i can start setting it up for club racing (just got my set up station i ordered the sway bars at the same time but they forgot to put them in the package lol )

I think the shaft drive suits my style of driving aswell and its much easier to maintain. What problems were you having with the one way?

whats is your opinion on the G4S compared to the CD3? i am thinking of getting one for next year, parts support here is OK but not as good as the serpents and mugens
Delta9:

The One Way bearing (2 Speed) in the G4S started to slip and the engine would just free rev. When i had a similar issue with the CD3 it just locked up and spun the pinion gears off the clutch bell. Both times i have been using the Serpent One Way Oil on them, am not going to bother now and just run them as they come out of the packet from now on...

Re G4S:
This is a hard one to answer so far, i have not had a lot of track time due to problems i have been having etc. I have done a front belt and mashed a front pulley and i found out the belts aren't excatly a cheap thing at nearly $20us each. After this i have started to miss the shaft drive... shame all the shaft drive cars are a few years old and hard to get parts for etc... Not like the current flavour of the month with the MTX4, S720 etc.

BB
Old 11-02-2006, 11:22 PM   #1195
Tech Adept

These one way bearings are finnicky at best, i always just take em out the packet and install them like you said, so far i been lucky the only one way bearing that has given me trouble was in the pullstart in my offroad car but have since removed it and am using a starter box, much better.

I have been lucky with parts for my CD3 as the LHS still has alot of stock in the back because no-one here uses the CD3 anymore, they dont have everything tho and if they dont have it it will take over a month for it to be shipped to the LHS from the states which isnt cool. the mugens, serpents and G4s are well catered for here parts wise. so one of them is going to be my new car next year sometime, but atleast i started off on the easy to maintain shaft drive so i can get more track time than pit time lol
have a great weekned
Old 11-02-2006, 11:43 PM   #1196
Tech Master

Ohh Bundy why dont you tell the full story

IMO one-ways are fine and simple as long as you don't abuse them. If you are going to oil them you MUST clean them out well first. I only ever added two drops of one-way oil and have had no problems. I like the Serpent One Way Oil the best

Where SOMEONE was going wrong was he was oiling without cleaning, end result was too much oil - this was effecting the ability of the one-way to grab.

Pullstart one-ways have the same problem, they get dirt and/or gum up with too much lube. Starter boxes are well worth the $$
au_Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 02:57 AM   #1197
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by au_Nightmare
Ohh Bundy why dont you tell the full story

IMO one-ways are fine and simple as long as you don't abuse them. If you are going to oil them you MUST clean them out well first. I only ever added two drops of one-way oil and have had no problems. I like the Serpent One Way Oil the best

Where SOMEONE was going wrong was he was oiling without cleaning, end result was too much oil - this was effecting the ability of the one-way to grab.

Pullstart one-ways have the same problem, they get dirt and/or gum up with too much lube. Starter boxes are well worth the $$
au_Nightmare:

What the hell are you implying

I did say i felt it was my fault, but as you are aware i have been having other issues with the G4S which has resulted in me not getting much track time for my troubles...

Blah... at least this thread has seen some much needed action

BB
Old 11-04-2006, 12:06 AM   #1198
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to spenzalii

Action, Smacktion. The season is over in my area, and my travails are well documented on this thread. I'm not saying I won't have another car next season, but I'm not giving up on my CD3 either. I think I can attribute most of the frustration of the season to working out the kinks of a new car, rebuilt engines, new track and not nearly enough practice time. The sole problem I have is parts support, and it's not that I can't get the parts within a week; it's that the LHS I want to support stocks more Mugen, Kyosho and Serpent parts than anything, since 95% of the locals run those cars. I will probably have a much better go at it next year having worked out a majority of the kinks.

That said, I only had one problem with the one way in my older LD3, but that was preventive maintenance, not that it wasn't working. I've had a one way fail in a pull start and a roto start, but not in my tranny or diff so far.
Old 12-08-2006, 04:07 PM   #1199
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Local Parts Support

I think that local parts support is always going to be an issue based on the models that people are purchasing and racing. At the track I always see more NTC3's and of course the Mugen, Kyosho and Serpent models which are slowly gaining popularity.
I purchased a used car just for the parts but there are still new parts that are needed. Like different pinion and spur gears etc.
Like you I purchase what I can locally.

But now that I am driving better and have a chassis setup that is allowing me to drive faster, I still don't feel that I am outdriving the capabilities of the CD3.
Upgrading to a higher performance model is pretty expensive in time and materials. Materials in terms of spares for race day, and time to dial in the chassis setup for your driving style.

I am going to subject my CD3 to a season of hard racing in 2007 and see how it holds up.
CurveTracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 12:55 AM   #1200
Tech Adept

I feel the same way, My CD3 is in no way holding my driving back yet, but as you say parts are getting scarce. I am fairly lucky as my LHS has a box of spares for the car still, so i should be fine for next season, hopefully.