R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 09-14-2006, 08:45 AM   #1171
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to spenzalii

What a difference the right tool makes. I got the pinions on and the spring tension correct with no problem. Worth the 30 bucks it ran me, no question (just like that snap ring tool was worth it for the LD3 tranny). I swapped the spring and shoe for a Mugen super hard spring and yellow shoe, so it should really bite. Assuming the rain breaks later (and I finally get over this cold) I should be in good shape for the trophey race this weekend.
Old 09-14-2006, 12:58 PM   #1172
Tech Adept

Good luck for the race Spenzalii, make us CD3 boys proud
Delta9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 08:00 AM   #1173
Tech Master

Ok, I'm done for a while

The trophey race was pretty bad. Saturday was rained out, so I took the time to get my car on the setup board and get everything back in line. Unfortunately, I had been so used to driving it out of wack that when I set everything right again, I couldn't drive it! So I spent some time finding a nice compromise and getting rid of the MASSIVE push I was having. After a wreck somewhere in practice, it came to my attention that I snapped a front CVD and lost the outdrive. REALLY not good. So I replace the CVD and pull the diff from my LD3, since working with 3wd probably wouldn't have been a good idea.

After getting the car set, the RB decided to chip in to the fun. The last qualifier I pull it to pitlane after the warmup and have the pitman ritchen it a hair. Bad idea. Either he set it too rich or something, but it bogges and flames out at the start. Takes too long to get started again, and my starter box batteries are shot (turns out someone else was trying to start their car on my box, killing what was left of the battery). So I go back to the pits, recharge everything, lean it out a hair, and wait for the bottom mains to run, where I'll be.

So now the race starts. I'm in the lead for a few laps, then get t-boned setting up for the straight by some idiot that really can't drive. I recover, but the car keeps getting slower. I pull into the pit after another lap and the car is temping at 320. REALLY not good. So it takes quite a few minutes to get the engine and carb cool enough to restart. By then, the race is all but lost. Fortunately, the other drivers are having their share of problems, so by time I get the car running again, I just need to drive the hell out of it, which I do. Ran out of fuel (forgot the furl stop), got hit just before the start/finish line and somehow cut the receiver pack wire. Go figure. Ended up 4th in a race I could have easily won and bumped, maybe twice.

Ah well. I took the rest of the time before the A mains pullng the car apart and cleaning it, then put it in the box and haven't touched it since. I'll probably order the parts I broke, get a new chassis (may as well since I can stop the car from dragging its ass now), figure out how I'm going to frankenstein my motor, give it a thorough cleaning and put it away for the season. If I get the itch to run something there's always the LD3. Not sure what I plan to do next season...
Old 09-22-2006, 12:50 PM   #1174
Tech Master

Ouch what a nightmare run. Hmm I notice if a front CVD is snapped pretty much straight away because it pulls to one side on power (won't go straight) but I can see how on a pullstart engine yes you wouldn't notice.

lol man I think you covered it all, Car, Radio & engine... Except a wheel falling off.

au_Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 08:44 PM   #1175
Tech Master

i dodn't have a pullstart engine, I was using my RB X12. I just figured between running a one way with only the right CVD (since the right out drive was nowhere to be found) and running a full diff with both, I'd take my chances with the diff. I could be a bit more aggressive diving into corners and braking, with the tradeoff of less steering and a bit of push.

Either way, I've got a lot to think about during the offseason.
Old 09-25-2006, 11:55 AM   #1176
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default STS D3R Gearing

I am breaking in a new STS D3R ( .12, 3 port) engine in my CD3 PRO.
Curreintly I am using stock gearing 21/27 clutch bell and 55/49 spur.
It seems like this engine needs a 22/28 combination on the clutch bell, and possibly a shift to the 54/48 spur gear combination.
Though the engine has had about a liter of fuel through it, it not seem to
produce a lot of power at the higher rpms.
CurveTracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 12:56 PM   #1177
Tech Master

My D5 took over 2 Ltrs (forget with the D3R..) anyway yes the torque is spread over the whole power band so you need to gear up compared to what you would normally run.
http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthre...54#post2577854

My mistake early on was running high oil fuel - caused a nightmare trying to tune.
Old 09-27-2006, 04:15 AM   #1178
Tech Master

BTW if ur not using 30% nitro don't forget to take the correct shims out (as per instructions)
Old 10-14-2006, 10:04 PM   #1179
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by au_Nightmare
My D5 took over 2 Ltrs (forget with the D3R..) anyway yes the torque is spread over the whole power band so you need to gear up compared to what you would normally run.
http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthre...54#post2577854

My mistake early on was running high oil fuel - caused a nightmare trying to tune.
Well the 22/28 clutch bell gears work very well. I am trying to get used to harnessing the higher torque through the curves. On the straight-a-way the engine propells the car quickly. I've got the transmission shift points at the minimum setting, so it is shifting quickly, but the engine pulls second gear with no bogging, and no complaints. Next track day I will try the 23/29 pinion gears.
Byron's 2000/ 20% nitro with 12% castor is the fuel I'v been using.
CurveTracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 04:46 AM   #1180
Tech Apprentice

curvetracer,you wanted to know how the 22t/28clutch worked with the 48t/54tspur from the ofna forum.I raced with it today with good results.My track is medium size with a good straightaway.I was using the d5r and it easily kept up with a mugen with a rody in it,much to his suprise and mine.Towards the end of the straight it was moving real quick,and bottom end was plentyfull.The pinions in the rear end didint like it too much,i done two in,i must have it set wrong.Cause of this i couldnt run in the main.Hope this is usefull to you.And buy the way when your on your own this engine seems real slow but with other cars it seems on par.
easy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 06:57 AM   #1181
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Smile

Well guys, the season is over and cleanup is beginning. I am going through the entire car and replacing all broken plastics and cleaning everything up. As soon as I get it done, I will be selling the car and any extra parts that I have that go with it. I pulled the Orion motor and put the stock Force .12 back in yesterday. I tested the servos and radio yesterday afternoon and everything works great. It is basically a Pro model with all of the hop-ups that I have put on it. I am going to try and get about $350 out of it with everything else that goes with it. I will be putting together a list of everything in the next couple of weeks. I'm hoping that next year I'll be running the TM G4S.

Take care and happy racing.
Ex-One Eighth Racers of Toledo member :( no mo money
trumpster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 09:59 AM   #1182
Tech Master

Hate to see you sell the car. If you can't get the price for it and you want to part it out, let us know. Strangely enough, I've been looking at that G4 myself as another car for my stable, especially with that ED transmission.
Old 10-16-2006, 11:23 AM   #1183
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Once I get everything straightened out, I'm going to post up on here first and then if it doesn't go here, then I'm going to put it on eBay. For everything that I have for it and all the upgrades, I don't think that $350 is bad at all. All the extra gears and plastics that I have is well worth it. A lot of new stuff that hasn't been used. I'm going to keep my starter box for now, but I may think about putting it in the package at a discount on box.

One thing that I personally hate is that everytime I break something, I have to order it in from accross the country. I can't ever buy anything locally.
Ex-One Eighth Racers of Toledo member :( no mo money
trumpster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 03:45 AM   #1184
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by trumpster1
Well guys, the season is over and cleanup is beginning. I am going through the entire car and replacing all broken plastics and cleaning everything up. As soon as I get it done, I will be selling the car and any extra parts that I have that go with it. I pulled the Orion motor and put the stock Force .12 back in yesterday. I tested the servos and radio yesterday afternoon and everything works great. It is basically a Pro model with all of the hop-ups that I have put on it. I am going to try and get about $350 out of it with everything else that goes with it. I will be putting together a list of everything in the next couple of weeks. I'm hoping that next year I'll be running the TM G4S.

Take care and happy racing.
Trumpster:

Good luck with the G4S

Go see Sam from RaceDay hobbies he will look after you, otherwise Trinity are the new Team Magic distributors in the US

BB
Old 10-17-2006, 09:23 AM   #1185
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by spenzalii
Hate to see you sell the car. If you can't get the price for it and you want to part it out, let us know. Strangely enough, I've been looking at that G4 myself as another car for my stable, especially with that ED transmission.
Hey Spen, Chris here, if you get the G4 we have parts at the store, along with the kits, just a lil heads up.
Sandra is offline   Reply With Quote