R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 07-10-2006, 04:27 PM   #1051
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to spenzalii

Quote:
Originally Posted by au_Nightmare
spenzalii - I have put the locking up down to the shims. Recently (as in a number of months ago) I had a diff lock up on me - when I took it apart I noticed shims where worn (I guess this would allow the gears to move around a bit?). This one was built when I lubed them with silicon oil during assembly (apparently not a good lube though it was in service for a long time). When I replaced the shims I used real grease and also managed to fit two shims in each side! It seems smoother then previous ones I have built but this could also because the gears are worn in.

The oil level really should not matter, one diff I had used for a long long time was almost empty when I did the christmas "checks" last year.

(Note: the 6 gear and 4 gear internals are different size)
You could be right on those shims. I think when it was messing up I just found someone that was parting their car out and bought the diff from them, so I never bothered double checking it! I've got it fulled and ready to go if I ever decide to go with 2 diffs, but with the size of the track I'm staying with the one way for now. I may get another one and make a solid for the rear, just for kicks and giggles.

My servos just got back (the amplifier was gone in both, so they replaced them), so I have to get everything set up again. Once I do I'll get some pics up.
Old 07-10-2006, 05:02 PM   #1052
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Although they are pull start I use a starter box for ease, which is soooooo much better.

The LHS said that both motors would accept the clutch and I would need to shim to allow room for the larger pull start, so you're right on the money there.

I'm undecided if to go with the RB 12 Pull Start or the RB V12 (bump start).

Does anyone know how much better the V12 would be over the pull start, if at all????
CDS70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 04:40 AM   #1053
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcfly
hi bundy, there is 2 places up here you can get parts for the cd3.
http://www.herchobbies.com.au/ and http://ultrahobbies.com.au/store/customer/home.php
McFly:

Thank you...

BB
Old 07-11-2006, 08:07 PM   #1054
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDS70
Although they are pull start I use a starter box for ease, which is soooooo much better.

The LHS said that both motors would accept the clutch and I would need to shim to allow room for the larger pull start, so you're right on the money there.

I'm undecided if to go with the RB 12 Pull Start or the RB V12 (bump start).

Does anyone know how much better the V12 would be over the pull start, if at all????
So you have the starter box already. Good deal. Does the class you run in depend on side or rear exhaust engines? As a general rule of thumb a rear exhaust engine will give you a bit more power (flow of the air/fuel mix and the exhaust) over a similar side exhaust engine. That and more manufacturers tend to have more agressive timing on a rear exhaust motor than a side exhaust. But as mentioned, you will have to spring for that pipe (unless you can find a manifold that would do the trick).

All things being equal, if you have the box I'd go bump start motor. At the very least, you won't have the weight or drag of the pullstart on the motor (even though 99% of drivers won't notice it anyway) and you won't have to worry about shimming it to clear the chasis. But if you go with the RB pullstart, I don't see you having a problem.
Old 07-12-2006, 01:19 AM   #1055
Tech Addict

Thanks very much for the info.

I now have a brand new RB12 pull start fitted, but I haven't had time to even start it yet. I had to do a little alteration to the chassis so as I could still use the starter box, and have about 2 hours all is good.

I'll get around to starting it tommorow sometime hopefully and slowly run it in. Can't wait

I thought about going to the bump start RB V12 but that meant I would also need to replace the exhaust and that was going to be another 100 and something dollars which I didn't want to spend, nor have.

Thanks again!
Old 07-12-2006, 01:37 AM   #1056
Tech Master

hehe, nah I wouldn't want to spend any extra after spenging $420 on a PS engine! Thats over double the $$ of my rear exhaust engine.

Hope your driving and setup skills are up there to get your $$ out of her... you wont know yourself (with almost any engine) after using a force .12

One good thing with the force .12, the foam tyres last 10x longer! lol...
au_Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 02:44 AM   #1057
Tech Addict

I guess you pay for what you get, and tyre wear has a lot to do with how you drive your car more so than what you're driving, but I see what you're saying.
Old 07-12-2006, 02:53 AM   #1058
Tech Master

hehe yes but there is also bang for buck hence my selection of motor.

When you have all that power under the bonnet, you too will find it hard not to nail it out of the corners and bring a smile to ya dial

And with the force .12 you don't have a choice in how to drive
Old 07-14-2006, 03:41 AM   #1059
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by au_Nightmare
hehe yes but there is also bang for buck hence my selection of motor.

When you have all that power under the bonnet, you too will find it hard not to nail it out of the corners and bring a smile to ya dial

And with the force .12 you don't have a choice in how to drive
Oih stop knocking the mighty Force!

Some wise ol coot once said "Let the Force be with ya!"

Gotta be what he was talking about...

BB
Bundy_Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 09:14 AM   #1060
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bundy_Bear
Oih stop knocking the mighty Force!

Some wise ol coot once said "Let the Force be with ya!"

Gotta be what he was talking about...

BB
Har
Har
Har
Old 07-18-2006, 10:16 AM   #1061
Tech Master

Narrowly avoided disaster this weekend. I got the car back together, reinstalled the hitec servos (say what you want, but their customer service rules!) and hit the track to see where the car was. Unfortunately, the engine reverted back to it's earlier self and decided to shut down at operating temp. No way to het the sleeve pinched, and since I just had it done, probably wouldn't be worth it. Fortunately, RC Toro had the NSR12S5 p/s/r on sale. Ordered Sunday night, came in to my job today. Needless to say, I'm happy. I'll replace everything tonight and go with the Josh Cyrul breakin tomorrow after work.
Old 07-18-2006, 01:28 PM   #1062
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by spenzalii
reinstalled the hitec servos (say what you want, but their customer service rules!)
hehe thats just it, you don't need the customer service with other brands

I've had my Sanwa (airtronics) for 3 years, KO before that without any deaths and the one Hitect I owned lasted ? 3 months? I think it was

But yes the Sanwa's and KO's did cost more then the Hitec.
Old 07-18-2006, 06:48 PM   #1063
Tech Master

True enough. I did get a Futaba digital for a backup just to be on the safe side...
Old 07-18-2006, 08:13 PM   #1064
Tech Adept

http://cgi.ebay.com/OFNA-CD3-PRO-LD3...QQcmdZViewItem
charlesd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 08:11 AM   #1065
Tech Addict

hi im wanting to shorten my first gearing for my .8 pitch cd3 pro for our local track, with 63mm tires it too tall, but with older tires eg 57 feels great, but im not going to waist all my new tires by truing them that small.
im running 19,56 first gear, does anyone know of shorter gearing or is there another way, eg optional diff crown wheel or pinion to change the ratio.
Mcfly is offline   Reply With Quote