R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-28-2006, 05:01 PM   #856
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: NSW Australia
Posts: 1,296
Default

haha I hate air time.. A long time ago I was zipping up and down the road and hit a bloody reflector and launched bout 4 ft and I didnt watch for how far. What was worse didn't have the body on, broke the rear shock tower from memory - felt pretty stupid..

The NTC3 is a 2 shoe clutch but AFAIK normally a 2 or 3 shoe clutch has the same size bell so it *should* fit on the LD3/CD3, its the closest thing I can find besides going centax clutch (and sg crank!). If your worried contact them first to find out how big the clutch bell is where the clutch shoes run and compare to your current clutch bell.


Quote:
I found that all i need to buy is a threaded clutch bell and purchase the 0.8 clutch gears from OFNA
Not so simple. The NTC3 bell has different threads to the OFNA/MTX/Kyosho gears and bells so you will also need NTC3 0.8 gears. Maybe you can find a bell to suit the OFNA etc 0.8 Gears.
au_Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 12:55 AM   #857
Tech Elite
 
Bundy_Bear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Brisbane, Qld
Posts: 2,682
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

trumpster1:

I spoke to soon on the damage front... I will post pics later on

On the gearing discussion, are you finding the engine lacks punch out of the corner on the RTR kit and is that the reason you are thinking of changing the gearing?

BB
__________________
MissMooRC Racing
Find us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/missmoorc
Bundy_Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 01:06 AM   #858
Tech Elite
 
HarKonnenD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 3,024
Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to HarKonnenD
Default

Anyone interested in a CD3 pro rolling chassis w/ pipe less clutch, body n tires for $100. It just missing few screws and thats really it. The car is mostly as is. PM for pics. I need the $$ to store back in my account.
__________________
Trying to live every day like its the last....
HarKonnenD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 04:47 AM   #859
Tech Elite
 
Bundy_Bear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Brisbane, Qld
Posts: 2,682
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default Racing Today!

Hi Guys,

Here are the aftermath photos from todays first race meet outing with my CD3. It all started on the first lap during opening race when i got a hit in the pipe which ripped the header bolt out of the header. After the race on further inspection it damaged the thread in the header itself and another screw could not be installed. I ended up running a zip tie through it for the remainder of the day, but i got lots more hits on the pipe side over the course of the day (see photos following).

Car held together, i qualified for the A final and finished 3rd over all at the end of the final. I had a fun day and am looking forward to the next time out with my CD3.

BB
Attached Thumbnails
Ofna Cd-3-img_0854.jpg   Ofna Cd-3-img_0855.jpg   Ofna Cd-3-img_0856.jpg   Ofna Cd-3-img_0857.jpg  
__________________
MissMooRC Racing
Find us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/missmoorc
Bundy_Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 05:15 PM   #860
Tech Adept
 
ChApS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Tropical N.S.W
Posts: 201
Default

Nothing the water trick can't do to pop that dint out of you're pipe just don't let the water over expane to crack the pipe.
Check ever half an hour.
ChApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 05:40 PM   #861
Tech Addict
 
trumpster1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Toledo, OH
Posts: 521
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

BB,

Yes, It really doesn't have a whole lot of punch coming out of the corners. That is the main reason, plus I think that if I get the gearing right, I can get a little more out of the top end. I have about 3 guys looking for parts for me at my LHS. I have to stop tomorrow at one of the shops and check and see if the NTC3 clutch bell will fit over my setup. If it does, then I'm going to order the correct gears from ofna. They're only like $6 each, so I won't be out too much if they don't fit. I will def. keep everyone posted on this as many others may be interested in how this setup work and if it will work.

Also, you think that scraping is bad on the front of yours? HA, I should post pics of mine. I think I've taken probably 1mm off the entire bottom part of the chasis.

au: like I previously stated, I'm just going to try it and see what happens. I'm really just hoping for the best. The shop that has the clutchbell also has about 30 different gears that I can try to mesh up with the 0.8 gears from ofna. The tooth angle is different than the rest as well, I don't know why they would do something so stupid and make it so difficult to do this. Damn them!!!

Have a good one! I'm done for tonight. Be back tuesday with updates.
__________________
Nathan
Spektrum DX3R
Traxxas 2wd Slash
Ex-One Eighth Racers of Toledo member :( no mo money
trumpster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 06:26 PM   #862
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: NSW Australia
Posts: 1,296
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trumpster1
I have to stop tomorrow at one of the shops and check and see if the NTC3 clutch bell will fit over my setup. If it does, then I'm going to order the correct gears from ofna. They're only like $6 each, so I won't be out too much if they don't fit. I will def. keep everyone posted on this as many others may be interested in how this setup work and if it will work.
Your going to order 0.8 Ofna gears for the NTC3 bell ?? Ahh I am sure you dont read my posts, I'll say it with photos..

NTC3 clutch bell

CD3 / LD3 0.8 clutch bell (compatable with Ofna, Mugen and Kyosho 0.8 gears)


Good Luck with fitting them..

Last edited by au_Nightmare; 01-29-2006 at 07:29 PM.
au_Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 07:32 PM   #863
Tech Elite
 
Bundy_Bear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Brisbane, Qld
Posts: 2,682
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trumpster1
BB,

Yes, It really doesn't have a whole lot of punch coming out of the corners. That is the main reason, plus I think that if I get the gearing right, I can get a little more out of the top end. I have about 3 guys looking for parts for me at my LHS. I have to stop tomorrow at one of the shops and check and see if the NTC3 clutch bell will fit over my setup. If it does, then I'm going to order the correct gears from ofna. They're only like $6 each, so I won't be out too much if they don't fit. I will def. keep everyone posted on this as many others may be interested in how this setup work and if it will work.

Also, you think that scraping is bad on the front of yours? HA, I should post pics of mine. I think I've taken probably 1mm off the entire bottom part of the chasis.

au: like I previously stated, I'm just going to try it and see what happens. I'm really just hoping for the best. The shop that has the clutchbell also has about 30 different gears that I can try to mesh up with the 0.8 gears from ofna. The tooth angle is different than the rest as well, I don't know why they would do something so stupid and make it so difficult to do this. Damn them!!!

Have a good one! I'm done for tonight. Be back tuesday with updates.

So from your comments do i come to the conclusion that it is a gearing issue rather then the clutch for the car being slow off the line? And can't you get any other gearing options from HN for thise current gearbox configuration?

BB
__________________
MissMooRC Racing
Find us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/missmoorc
Bundy_Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 07:39 PM   #864
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: NSW Australia
Posts: 1,296
Default

See the LD3 thread about the "5 tooth spread", it was a lower 1st and higher 2nd from memory. I do have the 1.0 gear config in my pit box.. <grin>

EDIT:
Stock gearing is 16/20 on the bell and 42/38 on 2speed.
5 tooth spread is 16/21 on the bell and 44/39 on the spur

Stock: 2.625/1.9 (final ratio: 6.5626 / 4.75)
5T spread: 2.75/1.85 5 tooth (final: 6.875 / 4.625 )

Last edited by au_Nightmare; 01-30-2006 at 12:46 AM.
au_Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 02:05 AM   #865
Tech Elite
 
Bundy_Bear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Brisbane, Qld
Posts: 2,682
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by au_Nightmare
See the LD3 thread about the "5 tooth spread", it was a lower 1st and higher 2nd from memory. I do have the 1.0 gear config in my pit box.. <grin>

EDIT:
Stock gearing is 16/20 on the bell and 42/38 on 2speed.
5 tooth spread is 16/21 on the bell and 44/39 on the spur

Stock: 2.625/1.9 (final ratio: 6.5626 / 4.75)
5T spread: 2.75/1.85 5 tooth (final: 6.875 / 4.625 )
au_Nightmare:

The stock gearing on the RTR according to the manual is 18/22 on the bell

But, when i got home i started the car to see when i got drive from the clutch. It pretty much engages straight away with out much action on the trigger

I am still thinking at the moment that attacking the clutch is best offense at moment????

BB
__________________
MissMooRC Racing
Find us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/missmoorc
Bundy_Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 02:51 AM   #866
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: NSW Australia
Posts: 1,296
Default

ah ok, that info was from LD3.. looks like the CD3 is geared much higher..

Cut those shoes a little
au_Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 08:00 AM   #867
Tech Addict
 
trumpster1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Toledo, OH
Posts: 521
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

au: Thanks for the pictures, but my clutch bell looks completely different than the one that you had posted. Mine looks more like the NTC3 clutch bell. My stock gearing is 18/22. The new spur gears are 54/49 for the 0.8 set. I'm looking at putting in clutch gears at 19/24.

BB: Mine also seems to engage quite quickly. Let me know what you do to your clutch shoes.

au: What do you mean cut them down? How do you cut the shoes down without getting too close to the clutch spring?
__________________
Nathan
Spektrum DX3R
Traxxas 2wd Slash
Ex-One Eighth Racers of Toledo member :( no mo money
trumpster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 08:03 AM   #868
Tech Rookie
 
masterwebber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 14
Default

The 0.8 gears are only with the CD3 Pro (with centax).
The CD3 sport have 1.0 gears, the clutchbell looks like this:



The standard gearing is:
first gear: 18/38
second gear: 22/42.
masterwebber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 09:40 AM   #869
Tech Addict
 
trumpster1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Toledo, OH
Posts: 521
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

master: are you saying that I would have to completely switch out the clutch from a 3 shoe clutch to a centax to get the gears to fit?

I guess that I am just not understanding why I can't make something fit. As long as the teeth mesh and the proportions are correct and the clutch bell fits over the shoes, everything should work, right?
__________________
Nathan
Spektrum DX3R
Traxxas 2wd Slash
Ex-One Eighth Racers of Toledo member :( no mo money
trumpster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 06:28 PM   #870
Tech Addict
 
CurveTracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Suburban Chicago
Posts: 504
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Options for RTR CD3 gearing

The manual for the RTR CD3 and Pro RTR CD3 are combined into one document located on the OFNA web site. The combinations for both the standard gearing and 0.8 gearing are shown in chart form. Nitrohouse usually has all of these parts in stock.
CurveTracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ofna mbx comp with hyper 21 8 port and ofna true start box. smokinu R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 8 07-20-2008 12:37 PM
OFNA MBX Ultra Competition Buggy and OFNA Starter Box 4 Sale or TRADE!!! gunlocators R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 14 03-20-2007 10:01 PM
Ofna micro fail safe, jr z650m 650 servo, and rtr ofna radio set cappa R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 13 02-03-2005 11:35 PM
Ofna Ob4 rolling chasis, Ofna .12, Trinity pipe, K&n filter chongp R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 12 06-29-2003 06:30 PM
Ofna Ob4 rolling chasis, Ofna .12, Trinity pipe, K&n filter chongp R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 0 05-31-2002 03:19 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 06:29 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net