R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 10-15-2004, 01:24 AM   #271
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by C Verano
A picture taken by Mike Myers of Darin Ishitani's car with Alberto Picco fueling it at the worlds. The body was painted by OFNA driver Kevin Kubota, Mr. Kar Sikk Paintwerks.
kevink2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2004, 01:53 PM   #272
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by C Verano
A picture taken by Mike Myers of Darin Ishitani's car with Alberto Picco fueling it at the worlds. The body was painted by OFNA driver Kevin Kubota, Mr. Kar Sikk Paintwerks.
That's my Boy Darin !!!

Let's GO... Let's GO.... Lets GO....

You know I got my money on you !
Old 10-15-2004, 02:06 PM   #273
Suspended

NICE PAINTWORK...CHOCO
SERPENTFREAK69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 07:20 PM   #274
Tech Regular

Default set-up question

hey guys,

I got the CD3 pro conversion w/ graphite shock towers,

I'm running:
front:
-120wght diff oil
-0 deg ALU lower arm holders
-0 toe
-camber 2 deg
-shock 50 wght oil, 2nd to inner most hole shock/tower, middle hole/( Lo arm), springs blue
front bar: 45deg
-Upper arm mount, low inner hole (tower)

Rear:
-50wght diff oil
- neg2 deg toe
-3 deg camber
-shock 50 wght oil, last outer hole(tower), middle hole(Lo arm), spings copper
rear bar flat
upper arm low inner hole (tower
Motor:
STS dragon

Gears:
stock(standard)

Wheels:
40 shore all round

I got great stearing, but real loose in the rear. Especially accelerating out of corners. These are the settings I got after messing with shock oil and rear shock position (moved them out from the second hole- in(1) to out(4)- )

Anything I'm doing wrong, any ideas on what to do to get better traction for rear?

thanks,
havy
havy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 07:51 PM   #275
Tech Elite

Default Re: set-up question

Quote:
Originally posted by havy
hey guys,

I got the CD3 pro conversion w/ graphite shock towers,

I'm running:
front:
-120wght diff oil
-0 deg ALU lower arm holders
-0 toe
-camber 2 deg
-shock 50 wght oil, 2nd to inner most hole shock/tower, middle hole/( Lo arm), springs blue
front bar: 45deg
-Upper arm mount, low inner hole (tower)

Rear:
-50wght diff oil
- neg2 deg toe
-3 deg camber
-shock 50 wght oil, last outer hole(tower), middle hole(Lo arm), spings copper
rear bar flat
upper arm low inner hole (tower
Motor:
STS dragon

Gears:
stock(standard)

Wheels:
40 shore all round

I got great stearing, but real loose in the rear. Especially accelerating out of corners. These are the settings I got after messing with shock oil and rear shock position (moved them out from the second hole- in(1) to out(4)- )

Anything I'm doing wrong, any ideas on what to do to get better traction for rear?

thanks,
havy
The easiest thing to try would be to go to 42 front or 37 rear, but beyond that maybe try more positive front toe, like 1.5+, or maybe laydown the front shocks some more, and/or soften rear end. BTW Which shock pistons are you using? Is the diff too stiff for the conditions?
Old 10-18-2004, 08:10 PM   #276
Tech Regular

Man, Ihaven't checked the pistons in so long, can't remember, were on my LD3 before (somthing I have to look into)

Front diff actually was looser, I added some more oil and it improved (120). Icould go softer in the rear, or go w/ 4 gear instead of 6 in rear diff.

Are the copper softer than the blue? Or do I got that backwards? That may be the little tuning I need.

It just does't accelerate out of turns that well, just need it to hold a little more. I've run 37's down here,but they wear too fast, sometimes chunk, but I like the way the front steers so don't want to mess w/ that if I don't have to.

Thanks
havy
Old 10-18-2004, 09:06 PM   #277
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Man, Ihaven't checked the pistons in so long, can't remember, were on my LD3 before (somthing I have to look into)

Front diff actually was looser, I added some more oil and it improved (120). Icould go softer in the rear, or go w/ 4 gear instead of 6 in rear diff.

Are the copper softer than the blue? Or do I got that backwards? That may be the little tuning I need.

It just does't accelerate out of turns that well, just need it to hold a little more. I've run 37's down here,but they wear too fast, sometimes chunk, but I like the way the front steers so don't want to mess w/ that if I don't have to.

Thanks
havy

Go with the 4 gear diff in the rear...
Old 10-19-2004, 12:02 AM   #278
Tech Fanatic

havy i had the same issues with my car.. there was one hopup i neede to fix all my problems.. its called a V1RRR in all seriousness try moving up to red front springs coz copper is alot stiffer then red, that could be why you rear end is taily.. i also found that my LD3 didnt like alot of steering dialed into it. try dailing out some steering, it makes the car more driveable
Old 10-19-2004, 02:30 AM   #279
Tech Elite

Quote:
Are the copper softer than the blue? Or do I got that backwards? That may be the little tuning I need. Thanks
havy
Yes, the blue are softer than the copper. One quick tip, if you're unsure and comparing spring rates just place them together between your fingers or on a flat surface and compress. Obviously then, the softer spring will compress faster than the harder spring.
Old 10-19-2004, 02:43 AM   #280
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

havy
I have just got a CD3 Pro(not the conversion)
I dont know what your track is but the track i run on here in oz is high speed (flat out 80M with high speed sweeper at the end)with a couple of tight corners.and high traction
It sounds like you might have too much traction on the rear which is pushing it around
The setup used out here might seem strange but give it a go as mine was tail hopping through the sweeper and and a loose rear coming out of corners.

heres my set up which fixed the problem
FRONT
Front one way(some are using a locked diff,stable braking and unreal out of corners)
80wt oil #2 piston springs are 1.6mm(of a GS Vision)
2 deg camber
1 deg toe out
no droop
sway bar soft40 shore tyres
REAR
500,000 wght oil in diff
80wt oil #2 piston Mugen yellow springs
3deg camber
2deg toe in
1mm droop
sway bar hard
42 shore tyres
basically the car has a soft front and hard rear
this might sound strange but guys have been using this setup for a while and it works
Good luck
oldnitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 02:44 AM   #281
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

oh yea one other thing other CD3 drivers are using red OFNA spring all round
oldnitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 03:04 PM   #282
Tech Regular

OK guys,

Thanks for the help, lets see what happens.

Oldnitro,
You described my prob pretty well. I'll look into your set-up too, thanks.

I race at 2 diff tracks, one is fast and flowing and the other has some long sweepers and a tight infield (like an oval w/ tight infield).

havy
Old 10-19-2004, 03:12 PM   #283
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by oldnitro
havy
I have just got a CD3 Pro(not the conversion)
I dont know what your track is but the track i run on here in oz is high speed (flat out 80M with high speed sweeper at the end)with a couple of tight corners.and high traction
It sounds like you might have too much traction on the rear which is pushing it around
The setup used out here might seem strange but give it a go as mine was tail hopping through the sweeper and and a loose rear coming out of corners.

heres my set up which fixed the problem
FRONT
Front one way(some are using a locked diff,stable braking and unreal out of corners)
80wt oil #2 piston springs are 1.6mm(of a GS Vision)
2 deg camber
1 deg toe out
no droop
sway bar soft40 shore tyres
REAR
500,000 wght oil in diff
80wt oil #2 piston Mugen yellow springs
3deg camber
2deg toe in
1mm droop
sway bar hard
42 shore tyres
basically the car has a soft front and hard rear
this might sound strange but guys have been using this setup for a while and it works
Good luck
Interesting setup! Thanks! Who makes the 500,000 wt. diff oil?
Old 10-19-2004, 09:22 PM   #284
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Looks like Australia post finally came through for me, I so hate waiting, I ordered it a whole week ago!

And for those wondering (like I was), the HK standard spec 90% CD3 looks to be a slightly better spec than a US base model OFNA CD3, and better kitted out than any of the HK based websites describe.

On the plus side, it came with pro style threaded shocks with yellow springs, dome airfilter etc, basically I think US Pro RTR specs.
The downside for me is the .15 Force engine, I'm not sure it will be race legal in the class I want to run in here.
Also, it looks like there is no instructions either, not a huge issue, but could be annoying to some people.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cd3.jpg (71.7 KB, 200 views)
Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 11:21 PM   #285
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Looks like my kit is missing the spacers required to fit the throttle servo properly, bummer, doing a bit of a strip down at the moment to make sure everything is ok, anyone have some tips on what to check out or adjust on a LD3/CD3?

Edit: oops, my bad, I must have totally misplaced the spacers in my hurry to rip open my package this morning, found them buried under some other parts.
Also realised that there seems to be some alloy steering servo mounts in there as well, at least I think they are servo mounts, can't figure out where else they would be used?, they were in the same small bag with the throttle attachment parts...

Last edited by Bishop; 10-20-2004 at 01:30 AM.
Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote