Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcos.J View Post
cool ill need a pit person!!

so do i
Old 09-22-2007, 10:09 PM   #1504
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to spenzalii

I made a few setup changes the other day. I went with copper front and rear to see what it would do. It felt a little smoother around the corners and gave me a little more steering. I also got another pipe for cheap (RD Logics Tubo II, $35 delivered Saturday morning). Unfortunately I didn't get a change to do a lot of testing. I managed to snap the steering rack. I guess I'll go back to the aluminum one this week. I'll also check the front toe and see if that can give me a bit more steering (I think I'm at 1 or 1 1/2 toe out, I may try zero toe).
spenzalii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 06:44 PM   #1505
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spenzalii View Post
I made a few setup changes the other day. I went with copper front and rear to see what it would do. It felt a little smoother around the corners and gave me a little more steering. I also got another pipe for cheap (RD Logics Tubo II, $35 delivered Saturday morning). Unfortunately I didn't get a change to do a lot of testing. I managed to snap the steering rack. I guess I'll go back to the aluminum one this week. I'll also check the front toe and see if that can give me a bit more steering (I think I'm at 1 or 1 1/2 toe out, I may try zero toe).
1. Spenz,
The copper springs are allowing the chassis to lean more and possibly get more initial side bite. You may not be able to run a low ride height in the rear (like 4.5mm) due to scraping the sides and loosing traction.
My baseline for lower traction tracks is F/R copper/purple. I practiced on Sat. and tried the F/R purple/Gold combo and I had similar balance but drifted a little more (4 wheel drift). The basic chassis behavior was the same. For my driving style etc. this configuration scales up for my car. For higher tracton tracks I will move up the spring scale up to the Gold/white configuration. I kept the F/R sway bars the same F/R, 20deg/Flat.

Weight
Yesterday I was marshalling for a while and picked up a stalled NT1. Man that car is light!! We are driving some heavy cars.

2. New CD3 "Team" driver Marcos J.
Hey man, nice car body paint job, good thing you added the OFNA decal. That way you won't get lost in the crowd of the big four that also prefer Stratus bodies. How is that car running?
Old 09-23-2007, 08:30 PM   #1506
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 182 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurveTracer View Post
1. Spenz,
The copper springs are allowing the chassis to lean more and possibly get more initial side bite. You may not be able to run a low ride height in the rear (like 4.5mm) due to scraping the sides and loosing traction.
My baseline for lower traction tracks is F/R copper/purple. I practiced on Sat. and tried the F/R purple/Gold combo and I had similar balance but drifted a little more (4 wheel drift). The basic chassis behavior was the same. For my driving style etc. this configuration scales up for my car. For higher tracton tracks I will move up the spring scale up to the Gold/white configuration. I kept the F/R sway bars the same F/R, 20deg/Flat.

Weight
Yesterday I was marshalling for a while and picked up a stalled NT1. Man that car is light!! We are driving some heavy cars.

2. New CD3 "Team" driver Marcos J.
Hey man, nice car body paint job, good thing you added the OFNA decal. That way you won't get lost in the crowd of the big four that also prefer Stratus bodies. How is that car running?

lol thanks , i havent ran the car yet(october 7th will be the first race)but i have a nice motor coming (tuesday I hope) and so option parts (.08 clutch and tranny) getting back into nitro after running 3 years of Electric TC.Im planning the Florida State series this year and maybe the US OPEN FUEL SEDAN CHAMPIONSHIPS at Kissimmee Raceway
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 09:08 PM   #1507
Tech Addict

Quote:
lol ... but i have a nice motor coming (tuesday I hope) and so option parts (.08 clutch and tranny)
Great! What engine are you installing?
Old 09-24-2007, 08:25 AM   #1508
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurveTracer View Post
Great! What engine are you installing?
JL.12 Red Dot
Old 09-24-2007, 10:31 AM   #1509
Tech Master

[QUOTE=CurveTracer;3699343]1. Spenz,
QUOTE]

Gold/white? That's a bit extreme. I had the yellow springs on at one point. At least 3 people told me trow them as far away from the car as possible, since they were too stiff for the track. If memory serves, the white are even stiffer. And again, stiffer on the rear? I've seen same front rear and softer rear, but rarely stiffer rear, and definately not that much of a difference. Where do you have your shocks set on the arm and shock tower? But, like I said before, if it works for you, roll with it!

I tried the purple/purple setup, which worked but was a bit too stiff (I could see the car 'bounce' on every irregularity on the track, and they're aren't that many. Going to the softer spring front and rear seemed to cure it. I may either stand the front shock up one notch or drop the rear one notch and see how the steering works on that. I'm also fixing that spool and will try that up front as well.
Old 09-24-2007, 05:41 PM   #1510
Tech Addict

Actually I ran the F - gold, 80 wt/ R- gold, 60 wt on a track that had a very sticky traction compound and my car handled like it was on rails. The chicane was very tight, and required quick direction changes to get through it quickly. I also tried this combo with rear purple springs which worked ok on another track.
For my Purple, copper configurations I use 50/40 wt. shock oil F/R. That has been my set up all season.

Given a very high traction surface and the right mix of corners the CD3 weighs enough I think to take advantage of a 40lb spring.
I am also using a 5 cell sub C battery pack, heavier ... but i never run out of battery power.
Old 09-25-2007, 12:21 PM   #1511
Super Moderator

well got my engine today!! i should get my box of goodies on friday!!
Old 09-26-2007, 05:34 PM   #1512
Super Moderator

does anybody know what is the lbs rating of the yellow springs?
Old 09-26-2007, 05:35 PM   #1513
Super Moderator

Quote:
well got my engine today!! i should get my box of goodies on friday!!
here it is my .08 gears will be here friday

Old 09-26-2007, 06:37 PM   #1514
Tech Master

Looks clean. I'm not sure what the ratings are on the stock yellow springs. When does the transmission and clutch come in? You should like that Red Dot.

CT,
I wish I could use the 5 cell pack. With the Pro kit, I have to use the aaa pack. It works for the most part. I charge it after the qualifiers to be on the safe side, but I haven't had any problems with it. I'm going over the XXX Main setup book and the Hudy setup book and will try a few things.
Old 09-26-2007, 07:04 PM   #1515
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by spenzalii View Post
Looks clean. I'm not sure what the ratings are on the stock yellow springs. When does the transmission and clutch come in? You should like that Red Dot.

CT,
I wish I could use the 5 cell pack. With the Pro kit, I have to use the aaa pack. It works for the most part. I charge it after the qualifiers to be on the safe side, but I haven't had any problems with it. I'm going over the XXX Main setup book and the Hudy setup book and will try a few things.
it should be here tomorow along with a pro kit, im kepping the regular radio box on the pro kit so i can keep the 5 cell hump pack