Community
Wiki Posts
Search

going from 1/10 to 1/8?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 05:16 AM
Tech Adept

Default going from 1/10 to 1/8?

hey guys, just wanted peoples apinions on moving from 1/10 scale to 1/8. like what is needed to move on and what differences are there in driving a 1/10 scale to a 1/8 scale.
Old 04-14-2010, 05:44 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

8 scale cars have more acceleraction, top speed,steering,cornering speed,more everything and you don't have to worry about messing around with diff fluids or changeing them. Front one-way, and a rear soild spool. Picking tire shores Is also easier you pretty much for the most part will only use 35, and 37 shore tires. 8 scale cars have a much wider tuning sweet spot then there 10 scale counterparts. Some of the higher end mods motors are very expensive but a stock or tuned 35+21 will give you all the power you need also look in to the new os .21 I have seen them In action they are fast. But if you have deep pockets go with the Murnan modified flash or 35+21, flash special tuned, max xl9 tq or a jp modified motor. 8 scales are easier to drive then a 10 scale but harder to drive fast (if that makes sense). I hope that information was helpful and good look you have now stepped it to the pinnicale of Rc racing there I'd nothing else like it.
Old 04-14-2010, 10:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

I run 1/10. But the power from an 1/8 onroad motor will make the hairs on the back of your neck tingle I agree. 1/10 is harder to drive but 1/8 is harder to drive fast. But I also believe that 1/10 will make you a bettter 1/8 driver.

Pass you soon...

Last edited by lil-bump; 04-14-2010 at 03:11 PM.
Old 04-14-2010, 10:36 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I had a 1/8th car for a year before I had the guts to run it. I would take it to bigger tracks and plan on trying it out then get caught up in working on my 1/10th nitro sedan or the Inferno GT and never run a lap with the MRX4R. Then I did it... at the track in Vegas... and am hooked. I actually pulled out of 1/10th nitro to run the 1/8th car. Faster... yep... but the difference to me was that it felt so planted while going faster than I had ever run before. The aerodynamics and weight just gave it a more solid feel. Now I plan on running 1/8th and try to fit in one of the other classes...

It is now my favorite car.
Old 04-14-2010, 11:39 AM
Tech Adept

thanks guys for the information. one guy from my club said u need many years of experience to drive a 1/8, but from the apinions i am hearing from you guys i might just step up to 1/8 and see how to goes :P.
Old 04-14-2010, 12:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

What is needed to move on?? Deeper pockets... ($$$)
Old 04-15-2010, 04:01 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

What is needed to move on?? Deeper pockets... ($$$)
BALLS!!!!
Old 04-15-2010, 05:09 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Whenever you want/need a new engine and pipe, you will need deeper pockets, but the rest of the time I have found that sedans can be more expensive. I know that tires are for sure at my track. I would go through 2 sets of tires a Sunday with my sedan, where as 1/8 scale can get 2 Sundays out of a set..... Plus there's nothing like going through a sweeper at the end of a back straight with out lifting and hearing the engine load up verses having to lift with a sedan (unless you want to 'kit' your sedan).......

So just go out and run it! If you are a little slow at first, who cares, everyone had to start sometime. Good Luck!
Old 04-15-2010, 08:45 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

I started nitro racing with an 1/8 scale, went away from the hobby for a few years and then got back into it with a 1/10 scale car and now back to 1/8 so have played with most options. Not a great driver, just like to have fun.

My 2cents, is that the inital investment is greater with 1/8 scale than 1/10th, but the cost to run it is less. Motors last longer, tires seem to do the same and for me I can see the car better. But you need a larger track to really enjoy the 1/8 scale.

As Zoot stated above, I've got IGT, 1/10 and 1/8 and have decided to sell all my 1/10 scale stuff and keep the IGT just to play with and race the 1/8 scale car, even if I can't run it at every parking lot race there is.

Lastly, go to the local racing, see who is running what cars and talk to them. If you need parts or "Direction" this is your best sorce of help. Does not do much good to have something no one can help you with. I also would look at the motors and pick a good easy to tune engine, and no need for a modified one to start with. The post above was correct in that the OS is easy on the pocket book and good powere (I have one in my box and used it to learn the Toledo track for nationals last year) but have a stock 35+21 and a Murnan Modified which have all the power you will ever need. (not sponsored by any company, just found good reliable stuff)
Old 04-15-2010, 08:59 AM
Tech Adept

ok thanks alot guys for the great info, its givin me a much better idea of what is need to move from 1/10 to 1/8 and also what costs there could be also. thanks
Old 04-21-2010, 06:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Originally Posted by lil-bump
I run 1/10. But the power from an 1/8 onroad motor will make the hairs on the back of your neck tingle I agree. 1/10 is harder to drive but 1/8 is harder to drive fast. But I also believe that 1/10 will make you a bettter 1/8 driver.

Pass you soon...
I can't agree more. Although people say 8th is easier to drive, not everyone can drive an 8th fast. If you haven't mastered the new levels of speed in which you will take through turns and on the straights you will be passed by a very skilled nitro sedan driver. I ran 8th onroad and nitro sedan. The foams on 8th onroads do last longer even though they are only a few bucks more than nitro sedans. They will save in the long run. Also you don't need a $600 dollar engine to race either as other make it seem. If you are geared up to run sedan you may want to stay with it. Otherwise the cost to get into 8th will run quite a bit. However there are deals going around for used vehicles. I have my MRX4X with body never used I am debating on what to do with. The RRR Shimo has caught my eye