Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sedan Body Shell Characteristics Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2004, 04:27 PM
Tech Adept

Default Sedan Body Shell Characteristics Thread

I would love to see a thread devoted to the description of the characteristics of various body shells. It seems that every year there is a 'trendy' body that is considered superior to previous offerings. As somone relatively new to the hobby, I would like to hear people's feedback about the various bodies they have tried.

Current favourites?
Steering?
Aerodynamics?
Stability?
Esthetics?
etc.
Old 04-22-2004, 08:17 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

there was a thread that had quite a bit of good info in it, that I was looking for a while ago. However I never found it.

thanks Jason
Old 04-22-2004, 08:34 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally posted by jscamry
there was a thread that had quite a bit of good info in it, that I was looking for a while ago. However I never found it.

thanks Jason
Was it this one?

http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthre...threadid=38010
Old 04-22-2004, 08:59 PM
Tech Adept

Great link. Thanks.

Has anybody spent any time with the new MG?

How about some of the other bodies that seem to have lost favour?

Vauxhall Vectra
Vauxhall Astra BTCC
Volvo S60
Honda Accord
Honda Civic Coupe
BMW M3
BMW 3 Series
Chrysler 300M
Nissan Ultima
Old 04-23-2004, 05:04 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default STRATUS MYTH !!!

You may have heard that I'm building bodies again and they should be in full production in June. I have taken a lot of time to build the best body possible. I even built a air tunnel to test them It tells me the drag rate head on and I can rotate the body in the tunnel so I can see the diffrent variances threw turns and it also gives me down force readings in front.middle and back. I must admit I too was running stratus bodies for a long time and I have used them as a reference point to test my new bodies aginst. I was shocked to see the Dodge bodies readings where ok but not great! I don't know who started this myth about the stratus body being the best but its not even in the top 5 of the 23 other bodies I tested however the Protoform wing did pretty good That said If you cut a hole in the windshield for cooling it really dosent matter wich body you run cause you just threw it's aerodynamics in the trash!
Attached Thumbnails Sedan Body Shell Characteristics Thread-rc-car-stuff-006.jpg  
Old 04-23-2004, 05:42 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default Ran outa room!!! LOL

I'm not saying don't cut cooling holes in your body! The engines have to have a way of staying cool and I dont know all the different rules but take some time when you cut cooling holes! Tips: If you cut a hole in the windshield keep it as close to the hood as possible make it square but round the corners and cut one in the back window in line with the front make it alittle bigger then the front . Check with ROAR rules on that one Also cut the back of the body out ROAR is ok with doing this if you leave a little edge around the cut out. The bodies I'm building have a line so you know where to cut them. I am testing a body that I designed that won't require cooling holes! I'm close but not quite there yet.One more note on Dodge Stratus bodies.I herd that Dodge is whinning about copy rights and is trying to put a stop to there bodies being used for rc cars! Now there is a example of good marketing NOT!!! .............."DaHellion"
Old 04-25-2004, 07:21 AM
afm
Tech Master

Default Re: Ran outa room!!! LOL

Originally posted by HELLION
........... If you cut a hole in the windshield for cooling it really doesn't matter which body you run 'cause you just threw it's aerodynamics in the trash!...............
I'm not saying don't cut cooling holes in your body! The engines have to have a way of staying cool............................ Tips: If you cut a hole in the windshield keep it as close to the hood as possible make it square but round the corners and cut one in the back window in line with the front make it a little bigger then the front ..........................
Good advise Hellion, but lets say you don't open the front widshield hole, or just open the minum hole possible as per your tip, and open one or the two front side windows.....What results do you get on your wind tunnel???
AFM
Old 04-25-2004, 09:42 PM
Tech Fanatic

That's kind of tough to answer . It depends on where you cut them and how big they are. But every hole cut into the body will effect flow even the glow plug hole! Heres what I would suggest when u get a new body just cut the glow plug hole and try it If it gets to hot then cut two 1/16" slits between the windshield and the hood about 1 inch long and inline with the engine but cut them on the windshield not on the seem If you cut the seem you will weeken the body then cut out the back of the body its just a big air break. If its still hot you might fatten it up a bit (richen) There is a lot of air flow built up at the bottem of the windshield so this should help out a lot of youGood luck and let me know how it works!
Attached Thumbnails Sedan Body Shell Characteristics Thread-rc-car-stuff-028.jpg  
Old 04-25-2004, 10:10 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally posted by mckrooz
Was it this one?

http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthre...threadid=38010
No it was not, in the thread that I saw It talked about the NSX, civic and many others.
Old 04-25-2004, 10:46 PM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by Frag
On what points ROAR takes their decision to accept a body or not? I am just tired of seeing the same 3 bodies all the time (Taurus, Alfa, Mazda 6). I know that there is other, but most the other companies have really cheap look.

ROAR will pretty much pass any sedan body for the .12 touring class. ROAR has left it up to the manufactory to submit their bodies to be registered.
Old 04-25-2004, 11:44 PM
Tech Master

ROAR rules won't allow the body to be cut in the back like the 1st pic above. Their rules say you can have a max (at its largest point)hole in the windshield of 50mm (2"), doesn't say you can't use a smaller hole, although if square it couldn't be bigger when measured across from lower corner to upper corner. That would be smaller than a circular hole.
Old 04-26-2004, 01:19 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default ROAR RULES

Last year I ran I think 5 or 6 ROAR races with the back cut out !!! Only one track wanted to look at it and see if it was in fact legal and sorry RED but it is !!! You have to leave a edge aprox. 1/8" and you can only remove the very back. I came around a little bit on the quarter panels and that was what they where questioning! The funny part is I noticed when I was hot laping mine was the only car with out the back but come the main half of the cars in my race had no backs and if you read the rules theres a paragraph or two that clearley covers removing the back
Attached Thumbnails Sedan Body Shell Characteristics Thread-imga2861nn.jpg  
Old 04-26-2004, 05:09 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by chachi
Great link. Thanks.

Has anybody spent any time with the new MG?

How about some of the other bodies that seem to have lost favour?

Vauxhall Vectra
Vauxhall Astra BTCC
Volvo S60
Honda Accord
Honda Civic Coupe
BMW M3
BMW 3 Series
Chrysler 300M
Nissan Ultima
I have not spent any time at all with it, but I ordered it as I heard it was between the stratus 2.0 and the mazda 6 I may be wrong.
Old 04-26-2004, 07:53 AM
afm
Tech Master

Originally posted by HELLION
That's kind of tough to answer . It depends on where you cut them and how big they are. But every hole cut into the body will affect flow even the glow plug hole! Here's what I would suggest when u get a new body just cut the glow plug hole and try it If it gets to hot then cut two 1/16" slits between the windshield and the hood about 1 inch long and inline with the engine but cut them on the windshield not on the seem If you cut the seem you will weaken the body then cut out the back of the body its just a big air break. If its still hot you might fatten it up a bit (richen) There is a lot of air flow built up at the bottom of the windshield so this should help out a lot. Good luck and let me know how it works!
Thanks Hellion, but unfortunately we race with IFMAR rules, and you are allowed to cut the rear of the car only up to below the imaginary line of the rear bumper. Now with respect to your suggestion of cutting those small slits on the front widshield I will try them, but how do you refuel??? where do you cut the body for refueling?????
AFM
Old 04-26-2004, 10:25 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default good question!

AFM brought up a good point on re fueling! On the bodies that I build, I use a check valve mounted in the back of the car; same thing I use on my airplanes. The advantage to this is once you get used to fueling your car like this, it's faster than going in through the top, is less messy, and the extra fuel line gives you a little more fuel to run on. However, it does take a little getting used to. I'm still bustin my arss trying to design my fast valve which will mount to the body. As far as rules go, thats why I love the outlaw class! LOL That said, my bodies will be in full production in late June. I am building my bodies in complete compliance with the rules, regulations and guidelines set forth by of the various RC sanctioning bodies, and each of my car designs will be inspected by them to insure compliance. I build these cars to give you a added edge, and I don't want anybody getting in trouble with the rules over my bodies. I'll dig up some pics of my check valve.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.