R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 05-14-2004, 04:12 AM   #31
Tech Elite

Default Re: another SILLY THEORY of mine..

Quote:
Originally posted by mop_iko
am i correct this time?

mop
Its a good point but the number of holes causes turbulence, unless you've actually placed it in a wind-tunnel and used that to space the holes uniquely?
Old 05-14-2004, 04:15 AM   #32
Tech Elite

Default Re: oops!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by HELLION
I forgot! One word about a series of holes. And that word would be "turbulence" ....
Yeap ... exactly.
Old 05-14-2004, 05:12 AM   #33
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to rcfoolz

I read alot and would say that yes, cutting the back of the body out does work better, but this is used in Oval racing more than in touring. Take a touring car and put it on an oval with the body cut out and you will run with the pan cars! How do I know this, I've done it! But in ROAR rules, you cannot do this. I've tried and was told to get another body on the car or run to be DQ'd! I have found a way to keep the front window in place and keep the engine cool though. When I cut the side window's out, I take and leave just about 10mm of window left attached to the B pillar post of the door. then slit the top and bottom of the widow and bend the window out and about at the middle of that, bend it forward. This makes a "scoop". I do this on both sides of the car. I cut the back window out like normal. I'v ran a few ROAR races like this and I have access to the fuel tank and keep the front window in tackt. No, I'm not he best driver and when running, I don't make the A-main, but I do have fun when people look and my car and think I'm a nut!
Old 05-14-2004, 09:47 AM   #34
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default Re: Ran outa room!!! LOL

Quote:
Check with ROAR rules on that one Also cut the back of the body out ROAR is ok with doing this if you leave a little edge around the cut out. :
3-12: Bodies cannot be trimmed higher than the lower body trim line. Unless otherwise stated in
Appendix-A, the rear section of a body may be cut out as long as the rear sides and quarter
panels, including the tail lights and side portion of the rear bumper remain intact. It is
recommended that some portion of the cut line remain visible to help speed technical inspection.
If the body has no lower body trim line, then the fold line is considered the cut line.

Appendix A .12 sedan
4. Rear of body to include rear bumper and may not be cut out above 55mm with 20mm
blocks under the chassis.
raffaelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2004, 01:35 AM   #35
Tech Master

can i cut my side front window like this?

hi all...

can i cut my side front window like this? i am using the MAZDA 6.

coz after i paint and cut it... now i know there is a rule about SEDAN cars... what i remember it must have 2 windows each side...(if i am not mistaken)

so.. if i cut my side front window like this... this makes the car looks like a CABRIOLET or something. can this body considered as a SEDAN body? i think this is a stupid question... but hey... u need to be a stupid in order to become clever... hahahaha.

i wanted to know whether FEMCA or ROAR allowed this kind of thing?

but to me... after i cut that side front window, i found out the opening is near the engine heatsink/head. SO i think this will help to further bring more cooler air to the engine. dont u think so?

mop
Attached Images
File Type: jpg can i cut my window like this.jpg (150.2 KB, 290 views)
mop_iko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 01:45 AM   #36
Tech Master

Default Re: can i cut my side front window like this?

Quote:
Originally posted by mop_iko
hi all...

can i cut my side front window like this? i am using the MAZDA 6.

coz after i paint and cut it... now i know there is a rule about SEDAN cars... what i remember it must have 2 windows each side...(if i am not mistaken)

mop
i have asked FEMCA about this matter and this is JOHN GRANT's reply to me:

Quote:

Dear Iskandar

In reply to your enquiry, it is assumed that you are referring to the 1/10th IC 200mm Nitro Touring class. If so, please note Rule 1.15 of the IFMAR 1/10th 200mm W.C. Rules on http://www.ozemail.com.au/~ifmar

Rule 1.15 states: both side front windows and the rear window (the rear window being the window in the back of the car body) can be removed for ventilation. Please note that the side front windows must follow the original moulding in the bodyshell - they cannot be cut outside of the side front window lines. The rear side windows must remain intact - no part of the rear side windows can be cut out.

Therefore, the part of the side rear window cannot be cut out as shown in your attachment. It is not allowed.

You are correct in assuming that FEMCA countries follow IFMAR W.C. Rules.

Best regards
John Grant
President, FEMCA/IFMAR.
i do hope this clarify this part of SEDAN BODY characteristic.

mop
mop_iko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 11:36 PM   #37
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally posted by BaxterC
I have not spent any time at all with it, but I ordered it as I heard it was between the stratus 2.0 and the mazda 6 I may be wrong.

BaxterC, hoezit my broetjie my bratjie, issit nog yster ekse. C you building your car, finally, did you get your money back though.

It would appear that clubs in Gauteng are re-opening the doors for Nitro 200mm. Our club had 4 additional cars past weekend, bringing the grid to 11. K90 in Boksburg is also racing nitro this year onwards.

chaio
Punkynutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 01:57 PM   #38
Tech Rookie

Greetings,

Great stuff on the aerodynamics of bodies. I was wondering what bodies tested best. I too have been caught up in the Stratus myth at the local tracks. Please advise what bodies tested best.

Regards Marty
martymarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 09:36 PM   #39
Tech Fanatic

Default Best bodies!

I did intend to tell you all which bodies tested the best but then I started to think it's not a good idea I'm sure it would cause a lot of arguments but I will tell you this.I'm not going to name the manufacture but the car body that did the best over all (not including my Stratis body) was a american car(G.M.) Which did not suprize me do to the fact G.M. has the nicest wind tunnel ever built. And the car is very close to it's original design And as a matter of fact it's the body I ran on my real race car in 1984 and I took a track championship with it that year. But it has changed a little in the last 20 years god i'm old
HELLION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 09:54 PM   #40
Tech Fanatic

Default Re: Best bodies!

Quote:
I did intend to tell you all which bodies tested the best but then I started to think it's not a good idea I'm sure it would cause a lot of arguments but I will tell you this.I'm not going to name the manufacture but the car body that did the best over all (not including my Stratis body) was a american car(G.M.) Which did not suprize me do to the fact G.M. has the nicest wind tunnel ever built. And the car is very close to it's original design And as a matter of fact it's the body I ran on my real race car in 1984 and I took a track championship with it that year. But it has changed a little in the last 20 years god i'm old
Wouldnt happen to be a Pontiac Firebird????

They are one sweet car.
teammpp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2004, 02:37 PM   #41
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 182 (100%+)
Default New Protoform body

look sweet
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2004, 02:38 PM   #42
Super Moderator

Default another one!

Old 06-20-2004, 02:38 PM   #43
Super Moderator

Default one more

Old 06-20-2004, 02:39 PM   #44
Super Moderator

Default another

Old 06-20-2004, 02:58 PM   #45
Tech Regular

Quote:
I'm not going to name the manufacture but the car body that did the best over all (not including my Stratis body) was a american car(G.M.) Which did not suprize me do to the fact G.M. has the nicest wind tunnel ever built.
I'm gonna say Corvette...i know it's late but I'll take a guess.
gonzoY5 is offline   Reply With Quote