R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 04-26-2004, 03:47 PM   #16
Tech Regular

Quote:
HELLION AFM brought up a good point on re fueling! On the bodies that I build, I use a check valve mounted in the back of the car; same thing I use on my airplanes. The advantage to this is once you get used to fueling your car like this, it's faster than going in through the top, is less messy, and the extra fuel line gives you a little more fuel to run on. However, it does take a little getting used to. I'm still bustin my arss trying to design my fast valve which will mount to the body. As far as rules go, thats why I love the outlaw class! LOL That said, my bodies will be in full production in late June. I am building my bodies in complete compliance with the rules, regulations and guidelines set forth by of the various RC sanctioning bodies, and each of my car designs will be inspected by them to insure compliance. I build these cars to give you a added edge, and I don't want anybody getting in trouble with the rules over my bodies. I'll dig up some pics of my check valve
the check valve idea sounds interesting, the only problem i see with that is
Quote:
and the extra fuel line gives you a little more fuel to run on
in the uk our rules state your fuel tank holds a max of 75cl including all fuel tubing, dont know if its the same for you in the us
jas1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 04:03 PM   #17
Tech Master

Lightbulb just throwing idea here

please give comments on this idea:

need input from you all...

take a look at both pictures:

thanks!

mop
Attached Images
File Type: jpg usual holes.jpg (138.7 KB, 345 views)
mop_iko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 04:05 PM   #18
Tech Master

Lightbulb throwing idea here...

ok.. how about this?

mop
Attached Images
File Type: jpg proposed holes.jpg (175.7 KB, 517 views)
Old 04-26-2004, 04:49 PM   #19
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to rod_b

Quote:
Originally posted by jas1
the check valve idea sounds interesting, the only problem i see with that is in the uk our rules state your fuel tank holds a max of 75cl including all fuel tubing, dont know if its the same for you in the us
ROAR is the same.
rod_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 04:58 PM   #20
Tech Elite

This is how I have been cutting my bodies:

Teh top hole in the roof is actually the "fueling hole" so it complys with IFMAR regs, and I can use a fuel gun. Both front side windows are cut. I also have been using a 5th body post which prevents the bonnet flexing.

I also have been perforating the rear window like so:

I am doing this for body strength more than anything else.

Engine cooling seems to not have suffered greatly funnily enough. Mayby another 5-10 celcius.
AMGRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 02:45 AM   #21
Tech Fanatic

Default bad holes

If I can get this to load !!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rc car stuff 065.jpg (88.2 KB, 596 views)
HELLION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 03:34 PM   #22
Tech Regular

Umm. What some of you guys are saying contradicts what's in the ROAR rules for 2004:

If you look on page 17 and also in Appendix A (pg57):

1. you can cut out the side windows (forward ones, not rear ones) and any part of the rear windshield. (pg57)

2. on the front windshield, you can only have ONE hole and this one hole can be at most 50mm in any dimension (~2"). (pg57)

3. you can have on hole up to 30mm in any dimension directly over the fuel tank for fueling but it cannot intersect with any other holes to create a larger hole. (pg17)

4. the rear of the body CANNOT be cut out: the rules state that the taillights must be intact and also in the appendix for .12 fuel touring cars, the bumper must also be intact. (pg17 and pg57)

I don't want to be a rule nut but just wanted to clear this up. I'm not arguing that some tracks let you get away with some violations. Just wanted to clear up what's in the actual rulebook.

john
EuroKRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 05:13 PM   #23
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Default ROAR Rules

Now, I'm not trying to be a rule nut either, but why cut out a 23 dollar body and get deemed illegal.

I went to a racetrack this past weekend where they teched the bodies very closely. They said there's a new rule to measure the bumper height...and they had a template to measure the rear bumper was not cut off.

They also pointed out that the front window cooling hole could only be 50mm...NOT the previously mentioned 2 inches.

Murnan Modified Motors

Mugen MRx4

Rocket Science Fuels

Auto Racing, Mountain climbing, and Bull fighting are the only true sports, all the rest are just games.
theRED5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 06:07 PM   #24
Tech Elite

Default Re: ROAR RULES

Quote:
Originally posted by HELLION
Last year I ran I think 5 or 6 ROAR races with the back cut out !!! Only one track wanted to look at it and see if it was in fact legal and sorry RED but it is !!! You have to leave a edge aprox. 1/8" and you can only remove the very back. I came around a little bit on the quarter panels and that was what they where questioning! The funny part is I noticed when I was hot laping mine was the only car with out the back but come the main half of the cars in my race had no backs and if you read the rules theres a paragraph or two that clearley covers removing the back

That's an intersting point ... I should check if we can do that here with the BRCA. (UK)
Old 05-11-2004, 06:09 PM   #25
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by jas1
the check valve idea sounds interesting, the only problem i see with that is

in the uk our rules state your fuel tank holds a max of 75cl including all fuel tubing, dont know if its the same for you in the us
Good point Jas but what if we can pre-emasure 75cc in the fuel gun and just "pump" in through the check-vavle?

I like this check-valve idea a lot.!
Old 05-11-2004, 06:16 PM   #26
Tech Elite

Default Re: throwing idea here...

Quote:
Originally posted by mop_iko
ok.. how about this?

mop

Seems to me there'll be imbalance between front and rear - the "spread" of the intake would mean the streams of air need to consolidate before exiting.

We know it won't do this so you'll have the middle streams leaving through the large rear hole but the rest giving unwanted lift on the inside of the body.

My 2 cents ...
Old 05-13-2004, 11:11 AM   #27
Tech Master

Default another SILLY THEORY of mine..

am i correct this time?

mop
Attached Images
File Type: jpg how to reduce unwanted lift.jpg (155.5 KB, 348 views)
Old 05-14-2004, 01:21 AM   #28
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

This state series says the ROAR rear bumper height is 55mm with the car sitting on a 20mm blocks.

I think a bunch of small holes wouldn't be as functional as one or two 30-40mm holes.

Murnan Modified Motors

Mugen MRx4

Rocket Science Fuels

Auto Racing, Mountain climbing, and Bull fighting are the only true sports, all the rest are just games.
theRED5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 03:12 AM   #29
Tech Fanatic

Default to many holes!

First of all I would like to say before you cut the back of your body out check the rules first!!! I did get away with this last year but They may have been wrong or I might have been wrong After all I was stupid enough to say I DO twice!!! So I have been wrong before... lol. I just have to finish up this outlaw body I'm working on and I promise I'll build you guys some hot looken ROAR legal bodies. And yes I'll even read there 30 pound rule book to make sure
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gf.jpg (44.7 KB, 291 views)
Old 05-14-2004, 03:32 AM   #30
Tech Fanatic

Default oops!!!

I forgot! One word about a series of holes. And that word would be "turbulence" And that's a bad thing even if it's in the rear window (screws with air flow over the wing) And cutting a hole in the windshield in line with the back window Doesn't do a heck of alot of good because when air travels threw the windshield hole it will flair out because of the edge (example take a butter knife and hold it in front of a candle and blow at the knife you will see the flame come back to you) but It's better then nothing. If you could roll the edge in the windshield that would be a great help. I'm still busten my arse to come up with a better way