Originally Posted by Michael_T View Post
Thanks for that
Anytime
2017 U.S.World Nitro Cup Nov 29th - Dec 3rd
U.S.Open Fuel Championship Returning soon
GMartinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 10:54 PM   #197
Tech Adept

I decided to test contact wheels but allthough the carbon ones makes a nice fitment in MRX5 the light weights need adjustments to fit...have any of you experienced this before?
Old 01-15-2012, 10:59 PM   #198
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMartinez View Post
I ran the carbon 1/8th Contacts for 4 or more races going from the std rim and testing carbon I felt my car was more responsive & it gave me more consistent lap times with a bit more side bite
lt wt vs carbon felt very similiar it came down to a tactical plan by running lt wt in the qualifiers & carbon in the mains just a tactical plan for 30 min survival mode for the main just remember carbon has a stiff rim like lite weights but are a bit more sturdy & a bit more heavier
Do you think that due to more flexibility light weights are better when you are chasing the fastest lap time(qualifiers)?
Old 01-16-2012, 06:04 AM   #199
Tech Apprentice

Default 1/8 lightweights

Yes you are right about our lightweights. Because of more flex you will experience more side bite, hence less sliding at corners.
Contact RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 09:08 AM   #200
Tech Adept

can you answer my question of the light weight wheel fitment on mrx5 too?
Old 01-16-2012, 11:47 AM   #201
Tech Elite

If you are talking about the fit being tight on the rim, that is normal will most or all light weight products from any brand. Normally you have to ream the wheel when using light weights. Using a 12mm reamer.

DJ Apolaro
Old 01-16-2012, 12:05 PM   #202
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to jeff whiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj apolaro View Post
If you are talking about the fit being tight on the rim, that is normal will most or all light weight products from any brand. Normally you have to ream the wheel when using light weights. Using a 12mm reamer.

DJ Apolaro
I actually like the fact that the Light Weights wheels fit nice and tight on the axle. For long mains you might want to pass a reamer through them once just so your tire changer(s) can get them on quickly.

Last edited by jeff whiting; 01-16-2012 at 03:14 PM.
jeff whiting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 12:08 PM   #203
Tech Adept

Quote:

DJ Apolaro
Thanks DJ...which type of contact wheel is better for low grip fast track?... or give us some information of how to choose different contact wheels in different type of tracks.
Old 01-16-2012, 04:59 PM   #204
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to punkpigpen

i've noticed that all wheels slip right in nicely and quickly on my MRX5 but on my serpernt 966 its real tight and takes some muscle-ing.
punkpigpen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 12:49 PM   #205
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3VoLuTiOn View Post
Been >2 months since my complaint of splitting tires, and I haven't seen few tires off a new batch I was promised.

Advice?
Quote:
hey guys, i made a thread because i couldnt search for "contact" and I'm also blind.

I ran contact on my nt1 this weekend, and the tires were great, grippy but started having a bit of give late into the runs.

I looked at the car, yep, foams split at the seams. In 5 minutes, there were small splits on the tires. (I ran 32F 37R, friend had 35F 37R same issues). After the main, it was getting close to a rain tire the seam was split almost the whole way around.

My friend ordered these through Ashford hobby....what should we do with the 20 remaining pairs we bought? It would be a shame to throw them out after a main, (low wear at our track).

Thanks

John

Update:

As I had ordered the tires from Ashford Hobby, Robert had good intentions and communication in getting the splitting tire batch resolved. I dealt with Piero through email, and he said some new tires would be shipped.

I got new tires through Ashford, as well as sent the bad batch back.

I haven't run the replacement tires, but even the logo on the boxes are slightly different, so I'm hoping all is well. I'll be updating around Mid May.

Thanks Robert @ Ashford Hobby, Kevin @ Kevco Racing and Piero @ Contact-RC.

http://www.facebook.com/VancouverRRR 🏁 http://www.facebook.com/OvergearedRacing
R3VoLuTiOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 02:40 PM   #206
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I'd also like to post a follow up. Contact USA, Piero, and Robin worked with me to get current production run tires and replace some of the bad tires some of my customers had. I'll be distributing these tires to those who've turned their defective tires into me over the course of the coming weeks (I wanted to run them first to be sure ).

I have run these tires and they are head and shoulders better than the older ones they replace. I've experienced absolutely no issues w/ splitting etc and to date node of the 1/8 are loose or wobbly.

I do have to say that I'm quite impressed by the way both the manufacturer and especially the distributor here in the states stood behind their product and worked with me to make sure my customers remain on the podium.

Thanks gentlemen my customers and I truly appreciate your help.
Old 01-23-2012, 01:48 PM   #207
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Update:

As I had ordered the tires from Ashford Hobby, Robert had good intentions and communication in getting the splitting tire batch resolved. I dealt with Piero through email, and he said some new tires would be shipped.

I got new tires through Ashford, as well as sent the bad batch back.

I haven't run the replacement tires, but even the logo on the boxes are slightly different, so I'm hoping all is well. I'll be updating around Mid May.

Thanks Robert @ Ashford Hobby, Kevin @ Kevco Racing and Piero @ Contact-RC.
I run with R3volution and Robert at Ashford was very helpful with this issue . Keep up the great work Robert .
Old 01-23-2012, 05:04 PM   #208
Tech Apprentice

Default 2012 Kick off at Winter Nats

It’s about time to kick off the 2012 Race season, with the Winter Nats just around the corner. We want to thank our supporters for a very successful 2011! Here are some of our podium finishes. Thanks again and have a fun race year 2012!

2011 USA Podium Finishes
Winter Nats
1/8 - 2nd
Sedan – 2nd
1/8 Masters – 2nd
2011 Florida State Series
Ft Myers Race 6 – 1/8 + TQ
Arcadia Race 8 – 1/8
Regional Race – 1/8 + TQ

1/8 WORLD CHAMPION – Robert Pietsch + TQ + fastest lap
With Paul Lemieux and Simon Kurzbuch also finishing top 10

Kosmic Challenge – Sedan + TQ
Tri-State Shootout – 1/8 Podium Sweep
Region 1
1/8 TQ/Win Richey Sirano
Sedan TQ/Win Gael L., 2nd Sal Amato

Byrons Race
Sedan and 1/8 1st place
3rd place 1/8 to Jeff Zuccarell
(congrats to all of our supporters and a Special one to Loran Whiting awesome job to make both mains)

Novarossi Chalenge Caplin -
1/8 TQ - Kenny Ives
2nd Sedan Guner Mehmet and Gael Lambre/Richie Torres for making the "A" main.

GLC
1/8 1st place
Sedan 1st and 2nd

2011 Nationals
Congrats to
DJ Apolaro for his 1st ever National Sedan Championship win!!
This also gives Contact Tyres back to back championships! 2010 and 2011
Contact RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 07:47 AM   #209
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyhalandri View Post
Thanks DJ...which type of contact wheel is better for low grip fast track?... or give us some information of how to choose different contact wheels in different type of tracks.
In all honesty any of the rims are good for all conditions. I am a firm believer in just picking a wheel and sticking with that. Then just make adjustments to the car and get the feel you want. This way you are always on the same page. That being said I thing the break down is like this. The regular white rim is most common tire and it the most durable. Best for parking lot tracks with boards. For me this rim gives the best tire wear, as it gives less wheel spin. The carbon is the most consistent over a long run, as the materials make this rim a little stiffer and under hot conditions can serve better for long mains. The light weight are the strongest (light weight tires) on the market out of any brand. They provide the best acceleration and have a little better side bite, but not much. I have done test and found that most of the time it comes down to preference. I run light weight on my 1/8 and regulars on the sedan, as that is what I get sent from the factory. I know Paul Lemieux actually tries to run regulars all the time on both classes. He says there is no difference and he likes looking at the white rim when he drives. Funny, but that is what he says.

Not sure if this helps, but hopefully it did a little at least,

DJ Apolaro
Old 01-24-2012, 02:59 PM   #210
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
In all honesty any of the rims are good for all conditions. I am a firm believer in just picking a wheel and sticking with that. Then just make adjustments to the car and get the feel you want. This way you are always on the same page. That being said I thing the break down is like this. The regular white rim is most common tire and it the most durable. Best for parking lot tracks with boards. For me this rim gives the best tire wear, as it gives less wheel spin. The carbon is the most consistent over a long run, as the materials make this rim a little stiffer and under hot conditions can serve better for long mains. The light weight are the strongest (light weight tires) on the market out of any brand. They provide the best acceleration and have a little better side bite, but not much. I have done test and found that most of the time it comes down to preference. I run light weight on my 1/8 and regulars on the sedan, as that is what I get sent from the factory. I know Paul Lemieux actually tries to run regulars all the time on both classes. He says there is no difference and he likes looking at the white rim when he drives. Funny, but that is what he says.

Not sure if this helps, but hopefully it did a little at least,

DJ Apolaro
Thank you It helped me

Contact is going to be the tire of choice for myself and others in our group for our upcoming summer nitro season.

Hey DJ try to make it to the Timezone grandprix . It would be great to have more of you guys from Desoto Racing . Hope to see you there .