R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 04-10-2010, 01:26 AM   #1
Tech Adept

Default help with capricorn clutch 2010 wc

hi i hope somebody could help me with this.

i got a capricorn clutch the wc 2010 edition for the nt1 and a rb t9 engine, the weird thing is, that i measure everything as de instructions said, and all messures were like the manual said they should be, but suddenly when i installed the trust bearing i have no gap, i deesamble and install againg with measures and i did everything like the manual said, over and over. but when i installed the trust bearing seamed, like if i needed a lot longer crankshaft or a longer bearing holder, i reapet i did check the distance between the flywheel and crankcase and as soon as i tight the screw on the crankshfat, it doesn't turn even move a thing.

i couldn't installet it, i dont know if i'm wrong or the clutch is wrong, any idea will be more than wellcome
mc_chofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 02:59 AM   #2
KMW
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I just installed a Capricorn clutch on an RB T9 and didn't have any problems. It sounds like the only difference is that I don't use shims behind the flywheel unless I have to so the distance to the end of my crankshaft is longer than it states in the manual. If you used any shims behind the flywheel then remove some or all of them until you have an acceptable gap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc_chofo View Post

i got a capricorn clutch the wc 2010 edition for the nt1 and a rb t9 engine, the weird thing is, that i measure everything as de instructions said, and all messures were like the manual said they should be, but suddenly when i installed the trust bearing i have no gap, i deesamble and install againg with measures and i did everything like the manual said, over and over. but when i installed the trust bearing seamed, like if i needed a lot longer crankshaft or a longer bearing holder, i reapet i did check the distance between the flywheel and crankcase and as soon as i tight the screw on the crankshfat, it doesn't turn even move a thing.

i couldn't installet it, i dont know if i'm wrong or the clutch is wrong, any idea will be more than wellcome
KMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 04:50 AM   #3
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Speedypeterb
Default measurements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc_chofo View Post

be careful sometimes measurements are given as examples and not the exact number that yours will have
Old 04-10-2010, 10:52 AM   #4
Tech Adept

well i'm sorry if i didn't specify this, but i'm using a murnan m3 engine.

i ended up with .1mm between flywheel and crankcase as you can see, without shimms between clutch bell and clutch shoe and then i got my clutch bell to spin almost freely.

what i did finally is adding just one shim so i ended up with .10 between the clutch bell and clutch shoe instead of .3x as the instructions said will work perfect, and i also had to use be serpent wc clutch trustbearing holder which is a little longer than the capricorn one so i got .1 gap. i'm convinced that if i don't have the .3xmm between clutch bell and shoe it will not kick as hard as desired.

i'm still convinced that there is something wrong.

now theres only two possibilities

1.- the bearing holder shold be longer or mine is wrong(short)
2.- the new clutch bell sits the small bearings higher than the older one, and i think that is wrong too.

if anyone has any idea, is more than wellcome.
Old 04-10-2010, 01:03 PM   #5
Tech Regular

This is what I understood from reading the lab c01 manual;

You build the clutch as usual until to the clutch spring and spring tightening screw. Then you put the clutch bell with inner bearing only, and measure the distance between the top of the crankshaft and the top of the clutch bell.
Then you start to add shims between inner bearing and spring until the difference is 0.4-0.6mm(this is the clutch gap) compared to the value you measured before adding shims. After that you assemble the thrust bearing and screw, and see how much endplay is there. If its a lot, you should put some shims in front of the thrust bearing.

I know that this setup is different than the other clutches, but this is the way of adjusting capricorn clutch...

http://www.aytemizhobi.com
Turkish shop for: Serpent, Xceed, Sweep Racing, MyLaps
musti72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 01:40 PM   #6
Tech Adept

i read the online manual, and the .4-.6 mm you mention is the spring tension range, the gab should be some where between .1 to .2, and you also should messure the distance between the clutch bell and and the clutch shoe, and it must be somewhere around .33 or .36 something like that. anyway i could get all the messures like the instructions said, but no gap, weird thing.
Old 04-10-2010, 03:26 PM   #7
Tech Adept

i think i finally got it, there is an optional trust bearing holder for novarossi based engines, and i suppost as they did not had any nova engine based till now, the bearing holder that they include is the one that fits sirios.

thanx to everybody.
Old 04-10-2010, 03:30 PM   #8
Tech Regular

You can download the Lab c01 manual, its written that gap should be around 0.5mm, but I have read the wc clutch manual, and it says .3 as you said... I dont know.

http://www.aytemizhobi.com
Turkish shop for: Serpent, Xceed, Sweep Racing, MyLaps
musti72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 02:48 AM   #9
Tech Initiate

Default clutch

hi

0.3mm to 0.35mm for the clutch included in the lab kit (small shoe and black centrifugal shoes)

0.5mm on the lab manual don't work

Also for the WC08 clutch (large shoe and white centricugal shoes with pins)

G

Last edited by georges972; 04-11-2010 at 03:00 AM.
georges972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 03:17 AM   #10
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by georges972 View Post
hi

0.3mm to 0.35mm for the clutch included in the lab kit (small shoe and black centrifugal shoes)

0.5mm on the lab manual don't work

Also for the WC08 clutch (large shoe and white centricugal shoes with pins)

G
Unfortunately all the Novarossi based engine have the crankshaft shorter by 0,4mm. We made a longer holder to avoid this problem and don't use the 3x5mm shims. Who use not Nova based.. need to add 0,4mm shims to glose the gap
CapricornRC is offline   Reply With Quote