R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 03-29-2010, 08:05 PM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Default Biggest engine for old RS4???

Oh K... I have an old school RS4, I bought it in 2000 so its wicked old... anyway, I'm just curious, what's the biggest engine I can slap in this badboy... I've heard its a .18, but I'd love to go .21 ...LOL... anyway, I'm turning it into an experimental ride, and even possibly a drifter, so I'm not concerned with racing or classes... I just want to hear what some of you guys have done... I want the most power possible... THanks in advance...
RevAshley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 08:21 PM   #2
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevAshley View Post
Oh K... I have an old school RS4, I bought it in 2000 so its wicked old... anyway, I'm just curious, what's the biggest engine I can slap in this badboy... I've heard its a .18, but I'd love to go .21 ...LOL... anyway, I'm turning it into an experimental ride, and even possibly a drifter, so I'm not concerned with racing or classes... I just want to hear what some of you guys have done... I want the most power possible... THanks in advance...
theres a company called wolfpack radicals that used to make a big block conversion, so you could stuff a BB.15 or .21, it also came with a special flywheel and clutch.

I bought mine from bruckner hobbies about 10 years ago...

I had a picco P21KSR turbo in mine, it was kewl for about a day, then all the belts and pulleys started stripping out. Stub axles snapped apart, etc. The front wheels would have a hard time staying planted on the ground and it wouldnt steer. I bet a high front downforce body would have helped, but It was hard finding a body that would work, the exhaust system will take a bit of clever fabricating. Mine used an off road header with a CVEC pipe that bent around to the back of the car. I dedcided the car was turning into a money pit and sat it on the shelf, now ive wised up and put an appropriate sized engine in it and have alot more fun.
Turbo9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 08:28 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

You'll start breaking driveline parts once you exceed the 1 HP level. You can find a .12 engine that'll provide more than enough power for that chassis, and you'll have money left over for extra tires, drive belts, etc.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:33 PM   #4
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

use HPI's trade in program and get a T3.0 that comes in the new ones. its a .18. i did it with my old school Nitro MT that had a .15FE. cost me $75. its a little sluggish from a dead stop but i use conservative tunes. plus its the truck so its a wee bit heavier.
buddyantunez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 08:33 PM   #5
Tech Apprentice

These are both interesting points... So if I throw a new .12 in there and change out the tires for slicks, what else is needed to turn this car into a drifter???
RevAshley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 10:01 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to HarKonnenD

Regular slicks won't make your car a drifter. You'd need those special drift rubbers that are used on the electric cars. I think HPI makes a set for their nitro drifter. Wolf Pack Radicals gets my vote as well being the parts are strong and will allow you to go a bit further in terms of power should you want something more potent than the T3.0. As far as drifting goes you'd just need those drift tires. Any body style you'd like is fine.