R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 04-02-2010, 08:29 PM   #16
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Im getting my tz modded.. should i tell him to throw some cermic bearings in there too? what exactly do they do
Old 04-02-2010, 08:43 PM   #17
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by *BBB* View Post
Im getting my tz modded.. should i tell him to throw some cermic bearings in there too? what exactly do they do
The bearings allow the crank to move more smoothly. Thus giving the engine a wider rpm range. They are always a plus.
Old 04-02-2010, 10:28 PM   #18
Suspended

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
whos modding it?
Jusleanit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 04:47 AM   #19
Tech Addict

abmods
Old 04-03-2010, 07:45 PM   #20
Suspended

Quote:
abmods
excellent choice!!!!!
Old 04-03-2010, 08:41 PM   #21
Tech Addict

You think hes just as good as EBmods or murnam?
Old 04-03-2010, 08:54 PM   #22
Tech Addict

Quote:
Yes he is. If not better
Old 04-04-2010, 03:28 PM   #23
Tech Apprentice

nitrohead, thanks bro. I don't know it all with this stuff but I do my own testing and such and KNOW what works and what doesn't. I do ALOT of R&D testing for RBmods and test every part made to include the dual 3.3 turbo plug button head.

Who would waste $$ on modifiying a 3.3, ME! The looks that are given when I make a pass is priceless and for all that question what is in my 3.3?....it still retains the stock modified crankshaft and sleeve. Rick has custom billet rods and pistons which are 8 grains lighter than the stock pieces for the 3.3 engines now since I was breaking them at an alarming rate so in order for the engine to last, this HAD to be done. The lighter rod/piston combo get the RPM's alot faster than the stock pieces plus my 3.3 is a 5 port instead of stock 3 port while Rick still did this to the stock sleeve. Like I mentioned earlier as well, I have a .18 TZ as well and with it modded it is not faster than my 3.3 is.

There's also some testing that I have done with a custom made RBmods aluminum crankshaft for the 3.3 which is for drag racing only.

To say that one specific modifier is better than another is basically plain STUPID in public! ABmods has some fast guys out there, EBmods has some fast guys out there, RBmods has some fast guys out there and I will say that IMO Murnan has a TON of on-road guys FLYING and to say that another modifier is better than the other isn't necessary to say at all. I mean look at Murnan's accomplishments over the years and others' accomplishments and make a judgement call from there.

BBB, I am not saying that your .18 won't run because it indeed will. What I said was (A PROPERLY BUILT 3.3 WILL OUTRUN A .18 TZ). I will say "PROPERLY" again. Good luck out there and keep the shiny side up.
Brent Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 06:55 PM   #24
Tech Initiate

Quote:
BBB, I am not saying that your .18 won't run because it indeed will. What I said was (A PROPERLY BUILT 3.3 WILL OUTRUN A .18 TZ). I will say "PROPERLY" again. Good luck out there and keep the shiny side up.
Brent, most guys are not pushing the limits of these engines like we drag racers do. That's why we have to shut'em down at 132'.

A year ago, before I got into drag racing. I would say "YOU ARE CRAZY", Now I know better. Your statement is 100% correct. Rick solved the rod issue most people had with the 3.3. and the crank and piston work puts it over the TZ in performance. Even w/a regular mod, the TZ only edged the 3.3 out in tq., w/similar rpm.

Bottom line, at the track against the clock, even on the lot the TZ doesn't get it done against the 3.3 you have from Rick or the V15 I have, also from Rick. I even seen a few badazz pro-street/pro-stock .12's that give the TZ a fit. I was all over my friends TZ with a .12 when his TZ locked up...fully loaded w/ceramics. I think you had one do the same?

When I see the TZ in a Pro-Street put down 2.0-2.1's on the slip and make it back for another pass like your macked out 3.3 and the V15 I will be a believer again. Until then keep up the good testing man.
Walbern Promod RB Drag modified Nova Kangaroo, '10
& RB Drag Modified Novarossi 35 + 21, '10
OutlawIGT2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 11:26 PM   #25
Tech Addict

Wow
OK to talk bad about a mod over another OK not a good idea or just a matter of opinion. To mod a throw away engine now that is just plain stupid. Really look at all you have to do to a 3.3 to get it to turn heads. put forth the same effort in a tz and which engine do you think will be the top dog. You change all of the internal parts none of which are made by traxxas. thus making it an aftermarket engine. The tz is a beast with stock parts. I too have seen a .12tz beat the .18 that doesn't mean the engine is faster just means the set up or tune was better in one vs the other. Hell put a dual button head in a stock tz I'm sure it out run the 3.3. In stead of duping all that money into a 3.3 just buy a real engine then just get the port and polish. Heck you might save some money.
Old 04-05-2010, 05:50 AM   #26
Tech Apprentice

Tracey, what is happening mang? At least you know what is going on with this stuff nowadays. I heard some guys went some 6's this weekend and also busted two Eric Johnson chassis's up as well. Hate when that happens. Good luck on your testing as well and keep me posted.

Allspeed, your right...me building a 3.3 is stupid. Throw away engines hugh?

Wins 2007 ROAR National Championship! Two years running, 2006, 2007

Wins 2007 R/C Pro Series National Championship! Four years running, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and all from a throw away motor.....lol. The 3.3 is a VERY good engine for a throw away one and so is the 2.5R's.

Anyways, the dual button design had been tried for the .18 TZ but because the sleeve is much smaller than the 3.3, it won't work. But I guess you knew that already. BBB, like I said here and via PM, your .18 TZ will run just fine. I am here in Waldorf, MD/Northern Virginia where we race 132' drag strips almost weekly. Bring some of these .18 TZ's out and have some fun with them.
Old 04-05-2010, 08:41 AM   #27
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Davis View Post
Tracey, what is happening mang? At least you know what is going on with this stuff nowadays. I heard some guys went some 6's this weekend and also busted two Eric Johnson chassis's up as well. Hate when that happens. Good luck on your testing as well and keep me posted.

Wins 2007 R/C Pro Series National Championship! Four years running, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and all from a throw away motor.....lol. The 3.3 is a VERY good engine for a throw away one and so is the 2.5R's.

Anyways, the dual button design had been tried for the .18 TZ but because the sleeve is much smaller than the 3.3, it won't work. But I guess you knew that already. BBB, like I said here and via PM, your .18 TZ will run just fine. I am here in Waldorf, MD/Northern Virginia where we race 132' drag strips almost weekly. Bring some of these .18 TZ's out and have some fun with them.
c'mon brent......i dont mean to be Buzz Killington here but, wee gone thru this before on the other forum. and just like them ur target market is for guys that dont know any better or jus wan mod something for sh-ts & giggles. ive been to many drag strips up and down the eastern coast line, matter of fact my dudes just came from South Carolina this w/e and there was NO talk of the 3.3. i know a few ppl that gave em a try like i said but once they realized it was useless in a real competitive application they became paper weights(the crank couldnt even accommodate a centax) why dump all that $ into an engine when u can buy the real deal. i think we still have a TZ in the tuck, we mite jus have to put our money where our mouths are.
Old 04-05-2010, 08:44 AM   #28
Suspended

Quote:
just as good IMO. cant speak on Murnam mods, ive never seen any of his engines. EB mods mills ran pretty good for me. gotta AB cut and never looked back
Old 04-05-2010, 09:02 AM   #29
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Davis View Post

Congrats on your back in the day wins. your last one was three years ago. What happened to 08 and 09? My point is why dump all that money in to a RTR engine when Nova, RB and O.S. among others make an engine that will run better then the 3.3 with just a good old port and polish job. The point has been made the your not even running a 3.3. why not just buy the block and go from there. the rest comes from RBmodds.
I've been into drag racing dude no 3.3 of which you speak of will get any wins in my area. Maybe the guys you run with just don't know. Hey Brent I'll add you to my list and will send you an invitation to Richmond when the local club has a race. Please bring that 3.3
Old 04-05-2010, 09:42 AM   #30
Tech Apprentice

Jusleanit, hey man it is all good talk and nobody's rippin' on each other. We all grown and can chat right? Yeah we've been 'round and 'round with the 3.3 issue and I will say again from what my opening reply was that "A PROPERLY BUILT 3.3" would run harder than the .18 TZ. I mean even for myself, I bought an .18 TZ just to have both to prove which one was faster and got the results that I did............a broken azz .18 TZ. Allspeed and others say don't waste $$ in a 3.3 and I would agree but for me it was the STEALTH of having a 3.3 that was my drive. I have seen the almighty .18 TZ leave guys pissed after spending $220+ for it modified and breaking a piston or rod or bearing come apart so it has it's flaws as well.

Darn man up and down the east coast and NEVER stopped here in MD?

Allspeed, the 3.3 is not nearly a competitive engine in ProMod/Funny car where it would have to be up against .21 engines like the Kangaroo, 35+21, Cordobas and such. That engine is in a on-road car that can be ran in the 2.0 IMDRA class. I never said it is a competitive engine that I soley race in 132' and never claimed that every race you go to, that there's gonna be 3.3's powering peoples cars unless you read me wrong. I will be in Richmond AGAIN which is an IMDRA race event as I was last year and hopefully make it down to N.C. as well.